when can we expect the next patch ^-^

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Default Re: FKoC: Information, progress and To-do list

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    when can we expect the next patch ^-^
    To use the same old and reliable claim of 'Its done when its done'
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

I got asked to write database front ends for a logistics company. Thats in addition to my day job. So as you can imagine the patch is going to take a while.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

im not entirly sure about the armoured halbardiers youve planned.there were historically only a few halbard units that are known for certain.the grenadiers are spot on.when taking a breech the besiegers would form a storming column,with all the armoured men at the front,with grenades and extra firearms,the pike and musket providing bulk for momentum.when the artillery had blown the breech the whole lot would hit the hole as fast as possible,if irish and highland troops were present they would always be at the forefront because of their skill and ferocity at carving through massed troops.the besieged,having not surrendered when given the chance could expect little mercy.

Who says the Scots and Irish are good at carving through masses of troops
    A few Halberd units are good enough to put in game. Even if AD just decides to only allow two in the field at a time... making them a prized unit.
    The mod needs as much variety in units as it can get imho. Pikemen and Musketeers are good and I enjoy the mod obviously. However a lot of feedback I have from people who are less historically inclined indicates that Pike and Musket infantry get a little boring after a while.

Highland and Irish hand to hand units I would also welcome. I imagine (but have not researched) that highland units would use a great variety of weapons. Whether this kind of Scottish unit was ever present in numbers I do not know.

As for the grenadiers, would they ever be available in anything but a siege? They would have to be limited for field use. Perhaps even buildable when a siege is started like the Battering Ram.
    Last edited by Destraex; October 20, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

i agree with everything you say destraex,but as i understood it, ad wanted this to be as accurate as possible,and halberd units as described just didnt exist.there were some units,like the earl of essex"s bodyguard who were armed with halberds,as were gun crews which was all i was pointing out.im perfectly happy to have any units he wants,its his mod!highland units were present with levens army attatched to at least 5 regiments.prints of the time exist showing some of them armed with musket,bow,and sword!they used dirks,basket hilt broadswords,claymors,polearms,pistols,bows,arquebus and targes.

While I don't for a second believe that there were regiments or even companies of halberdiers, halberds were used in the war. Street fighting with an 18 foot pike isn't ideal, there's no room to manouver and fighting as a cohesive unit whilst running through a breach would have been near impossible. I've seen a lot of sources (Osprey, reenactment videos etc) that show halberds (aswell as pikes) in use during sieges.

Pages 46 and 47 Osprey - Campaign 116 - First Newbury show halberds being used by heavily armoured men during a sally forth. I've attached the text that goes with it.

The main reason I'm adding the halberdiers and other siege units is that at present sieges are quite boring and uneventful. Having only 2 infantry types limits your options. Being able to snipe high value targets with your gamekeepers, throw grenades down from walls, and charge the breach with halberdiers will give a greater tactical flexibility.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

i agree absolutly,ive used a halbard many times myself in sk sieges,hell ive still got mine! but could it be an idea to make such weapons only available in settlements that have the buildings to produce them?warwick castle springs to mind as an example,it has a huge armoury with allsorts of exotic stuff that was there at the time.

To solve difficulty of close quarter fighting in seige battles I was gonna suggest you give pikemen a secondary weapon like a sword. But that would cause problems with them keeping formation in open battle.

But, if you're gonna have halberdiers and other hooligans that are only used in small numbers for seiges, why don't you just make them an elite unit of about 30 men. So that they're dead tough, but only any use in close quarter fighting on walls and in streets. Also have them only available from some castles. Or have them as mercenaries you can pruchase in the field.
    Or maybe if you arm artillery men with halberds, they can help storm the castle once the breech is made.

is it possible to give the covenant army on the strat map scottish accents? not a vital thing i know but its a bit wierd to click on them and hear a cut glass english accent!and is it possible to make the exellent smoke present on the battlemap even smokier?the musket and cannon fire ive experienced was really quite thick even with modern powder,or would that raise framerate issues?

i agree absolutly,ive used a halbard many times myself in sk sieges,hell ive still got mine! but could it be an idea to make such weapons only available in settlements that have the buildings to produce them?warwick castle springs to mind as an example,it has a huge armoury with allsorts of exotic stuff that was there at the time.
    I could tie the iron factory to the siege works which would mean you'd need to have both in order to make halberdiers.

is it possible to give the covenant army on the strat map scottish accents?
    I'm not totally sure, but as they are actually part of Parliaments forces, I dont think so.

and is it possible to make the exellent smoke present on the battlemap even smokier?the musket and cannon fire ive experienced was really quite thick even with modern powder,or would that raise framerate issues?
    It's possible to make it less transparent without any frame rate hit.

Cheers

is the smoke thing something that you"ll do,or if not how do i do it?

Here you go, it should be attached to this msg. I haven't test it so it might look like complete shite, but it should make the smoke less transparent.

Unzip this file. Then copy it to Medieval II Total War\for_king_or_country\data\models_effects\textures.

Backup the original one first.

Cheers

cheers,i shall give it a whirl!

Kyrre's Avatar Civis

I tried it out and I have to say it's superb but making it three times less transparent would even put the crown on it! ---> (That means it could be even less transparent)

Greetings!

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Looks impressive. I may try it myself.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Re: FKoC: Information, progress and To-do list

you prob got asked this loads of times but in the future would you put in ireland and scotland in the campain map becouse in ireland their were some royalist citys like drogheda and at scotland due to charlez 2nd which cromwel invaded

Why not just have the 3rd Civl war with Ireland and Scottland? Or something Interesting like the Williamite War in Ireland...after all my clan is the O'Donovans and there was an O'Donovan Regiment in James' army

It's an English civil war mod there's just not enough stuff happening elsewhere for Ireland and Scotland to be implemented yet if you really wanna have it, then see if you can get AD's permission to make a submod of it if you will. After all I know that during this time both Scotland and Ireland were fighting each other aswell so if you wish you could attempt to do a submod on those regions but I doubt AD would add it in for the main mod, it's just you know it's more about the units you pick in this game rather than the faction you pick which is where vanilla total wars go a bit wrong :/

Opifex

AD, I'm just getting into the ECW period; is it true that Britain during 1600s had no standing army on the main portion of the Isles (which would be why Charles didn't have enough oompf behind his words). Are you looking to somehow represent that in the beginning of the campaign?

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast