Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FKoC: Quotes

Default Re: FKoC: Quotes

Unfortunately, I only really have quotes from Confederates left, but I'll keep looking. The 'net just doesn't seem to want to supply me.

EDIT: I found you these:

'Tis for Religion that you fight, and for the Kingdoms good,
    By robbing Churches, plundering them and shedding Guiltlesse blood.
    - Royalist satire on the Puritan Parliamentarians (1662)

'Tis to preserve his Majesty, that we against him fight,
    - Royalist satire on the Puritan Parliamentarians (1662)

But all's to no end, for the times will not mend
    Till the King enjoys his own again.
    - Cavalier ballad

"Since my securing Belvoyere Castle, according to your Excellency's Commands, I find the Country thereabouts, who were formerly very malignant, to be much more exasperated, and give out daily Threatenings to dispossess me"
    - Letter from Major Markham, to Thomas Fairfax

"The Times are so full of Distempers, and Mens Hearts so big with Mischief, that I cannot hope to free your Lordship from Advertisements of that Nature"
    - Letter from Sir H. Waller, to Thomas Fairfax

"Now they having thus continued about three weeks, most unworthily used in prison, the honest inhabitants of Spalding assembled themselves into a prettie competent strength, and so advanced to Crowland to relieve and redeeme (if it might be) these worthie gentlemen out of their harsh imprisonment"
    - Account of the Siege of Crowland

"Not long after Spalding forces assaulted the Town againe in three severall parts thereof at once; Collonel Sir Miles Hobert, Collonel Sir Anthonie Irbie, and valiant and active Collonel Cromwell being now come to their assistance, who all being now neer the Town, good Mr. Ram was again called for"
    - Account of the Siege of Crowland
    Last edited by Ardruire Iacób; September 20, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

"i had swallowed without chewing,in germanje,a verie dangerous maxime,which all militarie men there too much follow;which was,that so we serve our master honestlie it is no matter what master we serve;so without examination.....i resolve to go with that ship i first encountered" sir james turner lord sinclars foot, army of scotland

"Now let God arise, and his enemies shall be scattered."
    -Cromwell before the suprise attack at the Battle of Dunbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plautus View Post
    We did ate child during ww1. Really. Did you knew that? And Adolf Hitler still live and has his hq somewhere in south america

Thanks gents. I need about another 20!
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

"when cannons are roaring and bullets are flying,he that would honour win must not fear dieing".part of a royalist song of the period. "i care not for your causes,i come to fight for your gold and your fine women" quote attributed to colonel augustine a mercenary who fought for parliament and the covenant."you have now done your work and may go play unless you fall out among yourselves".sergeant major general lord astley,as he surrendered the last royalist army in the field at stow in the wold in 1646."the daubing of a coat with lace of sundry colours,as some do use them,i do niether take to be soldierlike,nor profitable for the coat"john malet,1643.

'like tossing three balls in one hand, which requires both the eye and hand to be very steeddy, lest one ball do enterfore with another, and all miscarry'

-Sir Henry Slingsby, on an Anglo-Scottish treaty

'We maintayne that the king is king by an inhaerent birth-right; they say his kingly power is an office upon trust'

-Sir John Strangways, Royalist

"out of towne; then came to Oxford with the King. As we marched in Abi[ngdon] I saw a tall stout fellow, whose haire was all matted in elfe locks, very long, and his beard so too, though not so large. His nose cutt or eate off"

-Diary of Richard Symonds, 17 April 1644

"Munday the 10 of June, the Lord Wilmott with his horse went from Worcester on that side of Severne next Hereford, so to Bewdley, and relieved the Castle of Dudley, which was beseiged by the Earle of Denbighe: tooke some prisoners"

- Diary of Richard Symonds, 1644

King of History's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Here's one of my favorites: "You have done your work and may go play, unless you will fall out amongst yourselves" - Jacob Astley, 1'st Baron Astley of Reading upon being captured by Parliamentarians at the battle of Stow-on-the-Wold March 21, 1646.

"keep trotting.when in doubt,gallop"colonel a d wintle."pox upon it,say we that would have peace;but the gentry so engaging on the cavaliers side, and the fury of some in parliament,are like to hold on this business".sir robert poynt,1 june 1643."it hath been the constant endeavour of the english nation,who are prone to hate strangers,to blast and blemish my integrity to my uncle".prince rupert,after his dismissal by the king having lost bristol."if you take our cattle,we will give you battle".slogan of the dorset and somerset clubmen,afterwards suppressed by both rupert and parliament."the treasury is exausted,the country is wasted.a summers victory has proved but a winters tale."john rushworth,december 1644."will you go to your death?" the earl of carnwath,a scotsman, preventing charles from charging at naseby."i am sure my men fought well,and therefor know no reason of our rout but this,because the devil did help his servants."rupert,after marston moor."we want money,men,conduct,diligence,time and good council."duke of richmond,writing to rupert,9 june 1644."the women kiss his charger and the little children sing:"prince ruperts brought us bread to eat,from god and from the king"".davenant."your king is your cause,your quarrel and your captain."king charles at edgehill.

two more,"i was,by birth a gentleman". oliver cromwell. "may it please your majesty.i have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as this house is pleased to direct me,whos servant i am." william lenthall,speaker of the house to the king when the latter came to arrest the mp"s.

Hey leonn you are getting lots of quotes which is good, but would you mind formatting them? Otherwise AD has to do it. And I'm sure he has better things to do than to edit quotes.

It's no big deal, formatted or unformatted, either way I'm just happy to be getting to the end of this quotes file!

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

besides im really crap at formatting.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Hĺb

I A. B. do utterly testifie and declare in my Conscience, that the Kings Highnesse is the onely Supreame Governour of this Realme

- The Oath of Supremacy

I A. B. doe truely and sincercly acknowledge, professe, testifie and declare in my conscience before God and the world, That our Soveraigne Lord King CHARLES, is lawfull King of this Realme, and of all other His Majesties Dominions and Countreyes

- The Oath of Allegiance

Therefore let none of you be affrighted with vain fears; if such a War should follow, it follows the authors home to their own doors

- Charles I near the City of York, on Friday the 3. of June 1642

Some parts of a Royalist ballad on the Battle of Worcester

They marched up boldly, without any fear,
    Little thinking Prince Rupert was come so near,
    But alas poor souls it cost them dear,

John Byron did as bravely fight;
    To the Prince of Wales his great delight,
    He came home safely and was made a Knight,

They fly, they fly, Prince Rupert cry'd,

Fight for your Goods, which the Roundheads enjoyes;
    And when you venter, London to enter,
    And when you come Boys, with Phife and Drum Boyes,
    Isaack himself shall cry, Vive Le Roy.

- Vive le Roy - Royalist song

Whereby I can tell, all things will be well, when the King enjoys his own again.

- When the King Enjoys His Own Again (Royalist song)

When all my joys are thus compleat, the Cannons loud do play;
    The Drums alarum strait do beat, trumpets sounds, horse away,
    Awake I then, and nought can find but death attending me,
    And all my joys are vansiht quite; this is my misery.

- The Loyal Soldier

No Gospel can guide it, no Law can decide it,
    In Church or State, untill the Sword hath sanctify'd it.

The bloud that is spilt, Sir, hath gain'd all the gilt, Sir,
    Thus have you seen me run the Sword up to the hilt, Sir.

- The Power of the Sword (Royalist ballad)
    Last edited by Atterdag; September 25, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Woah. Nice Atterdag.

Thanks to everyone who contributed quotes!

Quote Originally Posted by AWZC View Post
    Cromwell; "Magna Carta? Magna Farta!" (note this is 100% true)
    HAHAHAHA

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Way late to this thread, but I had to add this as it is I think one of the most beautiful condolonces I have ever read. Written after Marston Moor to the father of one of Cromwells officers (I forget who)

There is your precious child full of grace and glory, never to know sin nor sorrow no more

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
    Way late to this thread, but I had to add this as it is I think one of the most beautiful condolonces I have ever read. Written after Marston Moor to the father of one of Cromwells officers (I forget who)

There is your precious child full of grace and glory, never to know sin nor sorrow no more
    Thanks, i've include it and it will be in 1.6

Cheers

Biarchus

Righto-here's a bunch from Tritram Hunt's "The English Civil War at First Hand" (Phoenix 2002)

"The Lord hath done such things amongst us as have not been known in the world these thousand years" O.Cromwell, Jan 27,1654
    "He was the most obstnate person in his self will that ever was" Lucy Hutchinson speaking of Charles I

Plenty more where that came from!
    "I'll tell you what rule sir....we applied Rule 303. We caught them and we shot them under RULE THREE OH THREE!"

"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12