Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FKoC: Buildings, Traits & Historical Characters

Default Re: FKoC: Buildings, Traits & Historical Characters

There is no religion in FKoC. No churches, no chapels, no priests, no conversion. The closest thing to religion is Saint Paul's Cathedral which I added to London as a happiness bonus building.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

really? then what replaces religon in settlements? Culture?

Favorite Goalies

Culturally both sides were the same. I changed religion to Support. Each settlement has a level of support for Parliament and Royalist. Certain buildings will give bonuses that increase or decrease support for one side or the other.

For example, Printing presses can be built and be used to print propaganda. They will increase public support for your faction. Building a conscription office will lower support for your faction.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

this aspect,traits or historical characters is very important in the game.

I know, but I don't really feel like over-hauling the traits system. The only big job is going to be converting some of the religion traits to support.

with that in mind will certain cities rebel to the other faction? and will bayonets appear?

Favorite Goalies

with that in mind will certain cities rebel to the other faction?
    They will rebel if support for the other side gets too high, however they won't switch factions, they will rebel to become clubmen settlements.

and will bayonets appear?
    It's unclear when the first bayonet was actually used. Some say it was by peasants in Southern France in the Mid 17th century. I've yet to read any account of a bayonet being used during the English civil wars though. Common use in Europe appears to of began in the 1660's.

Cheers

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Have you added anymore new buildings yet AD? I like the sound of printing presses and St. Pauls cathedral.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Have you added anymore new buildings yet AD? I like the sound of printing presses and St. Pauls cathedral.
    Printining presses and houses are in, and so is St. Paul's Cathedral. Other than that, with the task of adding in events being bigger than I thought it would be, and the time I spent adding the extra 3 cavalry units I haven't had much time for buildings. I'll try and add in a few today

Do you have any more suggestions for buildings?

I had one idea that I'll probably add.

Pub. Raise morale by one point.
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 13, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Buildings that I have added today:

The London Parliament
    The Oxford Court
    Glass maker
    Brick factory
    Goldsmith
    Pub

Most vanilla buildings have been stripped out and replaced by my new buildings.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 13, 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

That all sounds good to me, the pubs are faily unique to Britain to thats a nice little cultural extra.
    Here are some more building suggestions (most are unique).

London - Covent Garden Piazza - modern Covent Gardens redeveloped in 1632 and it was the centre of Londons fruit, vegetable and flower market since the 1500s. Trade bonus?

Unique Ports.
    Bristol - Port of Bristol - Bristol was an important trading port. Trade bonus but more unrest due to crime coming from drunken sailors etc?
    Plymouth - Port of Plymouth - see above (maybe a military bonus too?)
    Portsmouth - Port of Portsmouth - see Bristol
    Dover - Port of Dover - see Bristol
    Hull - Port of Hull - see Bristol
    Edinburgh - Port of Lieth - see Bristol.

Hereford and Shrewsbury - Orchards -Farming income bonus?
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Thanks again macky.

Unique ports seems a bit overkill but a nice idea anyhow.

Covent garden is a nice idea, I'll think about adding that.

Hereford and Shrewsbury orchards are a great idea. Infact I can think of other places where that building could be made i.e Southwest (apples)
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 13, 2008 at 07:05 AM.

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

Just wandering, are you English AlphaDelta?

Yes, I'm from Portsmouth.

Cheers

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Sir Henry Ireton

Earl of Manchester

Trait:- Lord-General :- Commander of the Parliamentary forces and New Model Army with the responsbility of leading parliament to victory over the royalists.

+3 Command

+2 Morale when commanding Infantry

+2 Morale when commanding cavalry

I think that trait should go to Sir Thomas Fairfax

Sergeant-Major General of the Foot :- Commander of the foot-regiments of the New Model Army

+2 Command

+3 Morale when commanding infantry

Lieutenant General of Horse in the Army:- After many years of skills in the Civil War the old "ironsides" (Oliver Cromwell) proved himself on the field as an worth cavalry commander and is now its commander.

+2 Command
    +3 Command when commanding Cavalry
    Last edited by jackwei; September 15, 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Sir Henry Ireton -> There's more important people waiting in line to be include such as Hasselrigg.

Trait:- Lord-General :- Commander of the Parliamentary forces and New Model Army with the responsbility of leading parliament to victory over the royalists.
    Hmm this trait wouldn't make much sense for the mod as the mod starts in '42 and Essex was Captain-General at this time.

Lieutenant General of Horse in the Army:- After many years of skills in the Civil War the old "ironsides" (Oliver Cromwell) proved himself on the field as an worth cavalry commander and is now its commander.
    Again this is a problem because in '42 Cromwell didn't hold this rank.

Cheers

BritPatriot1815's Avatar Ducenarius
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Yes, I'm from Portsmouth.

Cheers
    YEAH!!! Portsmouth!!! I'm pretty near Portsmouth, 289.465 miles near actually in Newcastle
    How far will I go for Rome? At least to the end of the street, I hate walking

I'm pretty near Portsmouth, 289.465 miles near actually in Newcastle
    Consider yourself lucky you live so 'close'!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    There is no religion in FKoC. No churches, no chapels, no priests, no conversion. The closest thing to religion is Saint Paul's Cathedral which I added to London as a happiness bonus building.
    wait a sec- NO religion?? Wasnt it a feature of every single old english (& irish ) town that there was a Church??

Surely a Church would add a basic happiness bonus, and when GeneraL destroys it that would markedly affect the character's standing/traits?

Correct, there wasnt as big a difference between view points (presb v. angl) as there is between Prot v. Cath, but people were still quite definite about their beliefs, with plenty of fanatics on either side. The war wasnt simply a political dispute- there was a strong religious overtone as well, with each side declaring that their enemies were minions of the Devil, etc, and using their beliefs to strengthen their side's identity.

Religion did play a strong part in propaganda, recruitment, motivation. While I agree that there is no need for Prosletysing priests in this mod, there should definately be a religious element- churches, certainly, and maybe Cathedrals.

Of course, these are just my opinions,; but even a cursory reading of any history of the War shows a strong religious element to its lead up, eruption, conduct and final settlement.

Comments?

Best regards,
    HDK
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]M2TW: SmokeMOD - Increased Musket/Artillary Smoke! (Included in DarthMod!)

A Church that gives a happiness bonus isn't a religious building in MED2. There's a specific function that a building can be given that increases the religious conversion rate of that settlement. The problem is that the Roundheads weren't even close to all being Presbyterian, and the Royalists didn't all hold the same beliefs that the King did. Representing a religious rift between the two would be ahistorical in my view.

I converted the system of religion to simulate support for either side and it's working well. It has become quite an interesting feature of gameplay.

It's no problem to add Churches as happiness buildings and as a form of scenery.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 20, 2008 at 03:54 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast