Thread: Sad Wings of Destiny - Review

hunter260859's Avatar Senator

Default Sad Wings of Destiny - Review

Sad Wings of Desinty

Brief
    Sad Wings of Destiny was released in 1976 and was Judas Priest's second album first which was Rocka Rolla. Often citied as the most influencing album to heavy metal after Black Sabbath's debut album "Black Sabbath" This was there last studio album under Gull Records.

The album contains 9 Tracks and clocks in at 39.12 mins

Review
    To me this probably one of the greatest cd's i have ever listend to. Everything about this album works, for me. Rob's Soaring vocals, reaching unbelivable notes. The fine and innovitave guitar work of Glenn and K.K. The pounding and steady bass of Ian Hill and Fine drumming from Alan Moore.

Victim of Changes - Probably one of Priest's greatest songs of all time. It starts with a fade in duel guitar, which was rare back then. The comes in Main riff. You can clearly tell this was going to be a Metal Band. Robs vocals on this are incredible. He hit's some fantastic notes, Some very high one's towads the end the of the song. The solo is awesome, K.K give's it all he's got it's a very well worked and thrilling solo with some good whammy bar sequences added in.

The Ripper - Is excatly what you think it is, straight up metal. It starts with a guitar intro, once again duelled, of course. Then an awesome scream by Rob Halford. Probably one of the highest he's done. It's pretty basic song. Good riff, then a simple solo. Overall awesome though.

Dreamer Decevier - This song is great. Very melodic. Just sit back and listen to it. It'll take you on a trip. It starts of quite soft, with Rob singing superbly over the acoustic guitar. Half way through the songs it breaks into a very epic guitar solo by Glenn. It's very melodic and composed instead of improvistation. At the end of the song Rob show us his incredible range, This more or less leads in to the next track Decevier.

Decevier - I feel this is more of a carry on from Dreamer but the more heavier version of it. It's got Rob contiueing to show us his range and a nice solo, pretty standard though very enjoyable. At the end of the song it cuts back into the main riffs from Dreamer. Overall pretty good song.

Prelude- Prelude is excatly what you think it is, it's a prelude. Not much to say about it. It's mostly done on Piano, played by Glenn. I find it pretty doomish to begin with. It's good but not great.

Tyrant - This has got to be one of Priest's underrated tracks, Everything about this is awesome, the starting riff is great. The song itself is very catchy and well done. Lyrics are good aswell. There's two solos in this song it's got some melody and both are good.

Genocide - This is a hard one for me. I like the song, it's not my fav though. It's got quite alot of parts to it. It starts of quite mid tempo, It speeds up about half way through with some nice leads. I think this was quite ahead of it's time. you could of easily had this song made in the 80's

Epitaph- This song is completely done on Piano. I love it personally, it's a very emotional pieace. It's amazing the different tone rob put in his voice. But great lead singers have to do this. It sounds like it should be a TV theme tune at certian points.

Island of Domination - This cuts with the sadness and goes staight for the throat. A very hard and rocking song indeed. Love the riffing going on in this song. It sounds quite evil during the chours. Sounds quite bluesy at parts.

Band Members at the time are;
    ob Halford: Vocals
    K.K. Downing: Guitar
    Glenn Tipton: Guitar, Piano
    Ian Hill: Bass Guitar
    Alan Moore - Drums

Conclusion
    My conclusion to this CD is buy it, If you're a true metal fan or a Priest fan you can call yourself one if you haven't got this album. It more or less defined what metal was to become, a very good CD all around. But remember this was released during the late 70's so if you're looking for Painkiller, please look elsewhere.

9.5/10

Here's some links

Please excuse some of the spelling mistakes ect. It's 1 am in the morning at the moment.
    Last edited by hunter260859; August 29, 2008 at 07:09 PM.