Thread: Scripting Ideas

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Scripting Ideas

Thank you mate!
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Hey, is there a way to influence the building activity of watch towers by the AI? Is there something like an "watch tower building rate" that can be reduced or anything comparable?

I really don´t like to be surrounded by a forrest of watch towers especially when I have conquered the terrain they´re built on and I can´t destroy them.

Any ideas?
    "Most people are like a leaf which is blown and turning around through the air,and wavers, and tumbles to the ground.
    But others, a few, are like stars, they go on a fixed course, no wind reaches them, in themselves they have their law and their course."

Siddhartha in Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, Chapter Six

As far as i know it isn't. Why do they bother you anyway - when you conquer the province they are built on they become your property!

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    As far as i know it isn't. Why do they bother you anyway - when you conquer the province they are built on they become your property!
    Because they look like pimples on the face of the beautiful landscape you designed...

I just don´t want them in my property... I rather like to build a fort and place a spy in it than a watch tower... why were they concepted anyway like that... why are they indestructable? Doesn´t make sense to me...
    "Most people are like a leaf which is blown and turning around through the air,and wavers, and tumbles to the ground.
    But others, a few, are like stars, they go on a fixed course, no wind reaches them, in themselves they have their law and their course."

Yes. many other things should be designed differently to!

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

If you want to stop the AI from building them, all you have to do is make them extremely expensive.

ps: PI\descr_cultures.txt, watchtower_cost for all cultures
    Last edited by HouseOfHam; October 06, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfHam View Post
    If you want to stop the AI from building them, all you have to do is make them extremely expensive.

ps: PI\descr_cultures.txt, watchtower_cost for all cultures
    That´s a call! Thanks, dude...

He he, nice little trick - we won't make those watchtowers expensier though so Argyri you'll have to do it yourself.

P.S. Hmm, maybe I can raise the cost with the explanation that making border watch actually isn't as cheap as vanilla suggests

P.S.2. Cost raised to 450. Argyri, if you want to completely get rid of them give them 9999 cost
    Last edited by Hister; October 07, 2008 at 05:17 AM.

Argyri, if you want to completely get rid of them give them 9999 cost
    Ok, I think if you can´t destroy watch towers a price of 9999 is not to much for them... I mean indestroyable... icome on...

I still am wondering why CA made them like that... somebody should write the guys there some lines...

Oh believe me - many lines were written to them already

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

From post 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonidas480bc View Post
    Ok this is more of a suggestion but, Spartans are recruitable in Tarrantino and it takes 2 turns in the barracks. What i propose is adding a new building at the city level called foreign ambassador it would have 3 levels and each level would reduce the delay of getting the Spartans. So at 3rd city hall building you can build ambassador post, it would allow you to call for aid from sparta in the way of now being able to receive said troops in 5 turns. At 4th city hall upgrade you could build ambasador villa, reducing the time to 3 turns. And finally at 5th city hall upgrade you can build Bouleuterion or town council chambers/court house, reducing the time to 2 turns. The turn delay acts like prestige, bigger cities don't have to wait as long for help.
    So to realise this, you don't need to create a script, and i don't believe a script can afford this.

But, if PI has still enough unit blocks available in edu, then you just only need to code the same Spartan unit with different names (first line), and with different training times each. Then just set them up into the different edb buildings as recruitment. Easy to do, as said, if enough unit space in edu available.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Heh, very good idea DaVinci! I'm not sure if we have a free slot though?

Edit: What's the hardcoded limit for number of units?
    Last edited by Hister; October 15, 2008 at 09:29 AM.

Opifex

Man, you can make that lowered recruitment SO EASILY in MTW2:Kingdoms.....

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Heh, very good idea DaVinci! I'm not sure if we have a free slot though?

Edit: What's the hardcoded limit for number of units?
    500 entries in EDU
    255 entries in DMB
    and a maximum of 32 units(excluding agents) recruitable by each faction from a single settlement/region.

Thanx Florin80!

I don't know if u guys still need help with scripting , and since there are a lot of master modders here , i don't know if it will be necessary , but i'm learning about scripting now (easy scripting tough ) and if i'm good enough i'll see if i can help .. Exams are coming , wich is a bummer , and i'm very young (+english isn't my native language) , so it'll take a long time before i'm good at scripting ..

I'll give you a sign if i'm good enough

Grtz,
    Pope

Nice of you PP, let us know

Nice of you PP, let us know
    Just learned the very basics , for instance : If i press a certain show me how button , 4 gallic noble cavalry units appear in Arretium (Regardless of wich faction owns arretium .. Ow , it's Vanilla ) ... I know half of all RTW players can do this tough , but i'll continue learning

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by PopePopo View Post
    Just learned the very basics , for instance : If i press a certain show me how button , 4 gallic noble cavalry units appear in Arretium (Regardless of wich faction owns arretium .. Ow , it's Vanilla ) ... I know half of all RTW players can do this tough , but i'll continue learning
    1. Use On_display instead of Script in EDA, then you won't have to press 'Show me how'.
    2. Be careful with spawning units like that. If you spawn a unit for a faction it wouldn't normally belong to, there will probably be no texture defined in DMB for that union/faction combination, so you'd then get a missing texture CTD when that unit takes part in a battle.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfHam View Post
    1. Use On_display instead of Script in EDA, then you won't have to press 'Show me how'.
    2. Be careful with spawning units like that. If you spawn a unit for a faction it wouldn't normally belong to, there will probably be no texture defined in DMB for that union/faction combination, so you'd then get a missing texture CTD when that unit takes part in a battle.
    1. i'm now learning a bit about them , following your guide btw
    2. yeah , i know , when they spawned at Arretium , they had 'the grey peasants' syndrom ( unit card s) :S Tested them in a battle tough , and it looked fine (no ctd , or other errors ...)
    Last edited by PopePopo; December 02, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123