Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: P.I. Beta Bug thread

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: P.I. Beta Bug thread

Quote Originally Posted by samba_liten View Post
    Great job with the mod!

A quick question; I was playing as the Ligurians. After capturing a settlement, i was immediately able to recruit their troops. They were also able to recruit my Ligurian spearmen etc for their army. I THINK i downloaded the latest version (0.86).
    Is this as it is supposed to be? Might i have downloaded a torrent for an earlier version?
    Yes that is designed that way. Which settlement are you talking about exactly?
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

EDIT: FALSE ALARM - NO NEED TO READ THIS POST -READ EXPLANATION OF WHY THIS HAPPENED TO ME IN NEXT POST BELOW!

I found out after so long time that around half of the units from the AOR Latium that Luciano has created don't appear properly in the RTW BI PI! It's actually all the units that are sharing the same soldier model with like "Pedites_Hernici+Aurunci" model. In game only Pedites Hernici texture will appear although the unit is Pedites Aurunci! In addittion to that unit ui icon does not appear and a generic peasant is there instead.

I was searching what might be wrong. I realized that Luciano decided for swaps of units to share the same model 'cos in descr_model_battle max number of model types has been exceeded. I know this because I wanted to split Pedites Hernici and Pedites Aurunci to each have it's own model type and when I entered the game I got an error saying max battle models exceeded.

In the case of PI's numerous italiotae hoplites although they actually have the same soldier model (visually the same but named differently) and the real difference is only their different textures, in DMB each of them has it's own soldier model type (only difference is in how the soldier model is named and not in how it looks like!). This makes them appear as they should. The problem starts when soldier model of the same name is used for two different units.

Below are units pedites hernici and pedites aurunci in the edu. What model and textures it shall have is referred in the red underlined part of the text which is read by the DMB:

type Pedites Hernici
    dictionary Pedites_Hernici ; Pedites Hernici
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Medium_1
    soldier Pedites_Hernici+Aurunci, 60, 0, 1.1
    type Pedites Aurunci
    dictionary Pedites_Aurunci ; Pedites Aurunci
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Medium_1
    soldier Pedites_Hernici+Aurunci, 60, 0, 1.1
    What was done in DMB for those two units is this:

type Pedites_Hernici+Aurunci
    ;--------------------------------------
    skeleton fs_s1_semi_fast_javelinman, fs_semi_fast_spearman
    indiv_range 40
    texture merc, PI/data/PI/models_unit/textures/PI_Aurunci_Pedites.tga
    texture slave, PI/data/PI/models_unit/textures/PI_Hernici_Pedites.tga
    model_flexi PI/data/PI/models_unit/PI_Hernici+Aurunci_Pedites.cas, 15
    model_flexi PI/data/PI/models_unit/PI_Hernici+Aurunci_Pedites.cas, 30
    model_flexi PI/data/PI/models_unit/PI_Hernici+Aurunci_Pedites.cas, 40
    model_flexi PI/data/PI/models_unit/PI_Hernici+Aurunci_Pedites.cas, max
    model_sprite 60.0, PI/data/sprites/Pedites_Hernici+Aurunci_sprite.spr
    model_sprite slave, 60.0, PI/data/sprites/slave_Pedites_Hernici+Aurunci_sprite.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f
    I underlined in red the part of the text above that I don't understand how it works - I think it is the reason for the problem we are having. How would the game know what texture it needs to use for either of the two units? I thought that since texture for Hernici is shown also for Aurunci I would argue that "merc" does not work as intended BUT then I checked Europa Barbarorum and saw that they are also using "merc". The only difference I could spot is that when EB is sharing the same soldier model between two units it lists all factions:

; Arabian infantry - Dorkim Ezra'him / Ethiopian Spearmen

type arabian_infantry_saba_citizen_ethiopian_spearmen
    skeleton fs_fast_spearman
    indiv_range 40
    texture merc, eb/data/models_unit/textures/arabian/ebarabian_infantry_citizen_spearmen_seyd_saba.tga
    texture slave, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture saba, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_saba.tga
    texture britons, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture gauls, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture scythia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture germans, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture spain, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture dacia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture thrace, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture macedon, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture romans_julii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture romans_scipii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture romans_brutii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture egypt, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture numidia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture carthage, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture armenia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture pontus, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture parthia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    texture seleucid, eb/data/models_unit/textures/african/ebafrican_infantry_ethiopian_spearmen_stefan25_slave.tga
    model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/ebarabian_infantry_citizen_spearmen_seyd_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/ebarabian_infantry_citizen_spearmen_seyd_med.cas, 30
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Hister; April 16, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

False alarm - when I was editing the edu I deleted the mercenary_unit attribute for the units that I thought shouldn't have this. As it showed up this messed up the system Luciano devised. I found out what is wrong after reading this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209039

Although I managed to solve out the first problem I noticed the second one - 4 units now appear as models without textures (ghost units). These are: Pedites Hernici and Aequi and also Ferentari Hernici and Aequi. To exclude the possibility of me messing up things I will now check how those units appear in Luciano's vanilla 0.72 version.

Yep, those 4 units don't have textures on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    Yes that is designed that way. Which settlement are you talking about exactly?
    The settlement concerned was Ticinum.

I checked Ticinum. When you conquer it you can't immediately start training any troops. To be able to train Ligurian troops there you first have to build "Ligurian settlement" building which is something like colonization building. After some period of time Ligurian population settles in this region and so you can get Ligurian warriors. To be able to train local Celtic units you have to build "Region control" building that will allow you to do so. The same procedure is with all the settlements you conquer. Some factions don't have "colonising" buildings since they rather include the subdued people into federation/alliance and thus can't produce their own units in newly conquered regions but can train local soldiery.

I hereby have to say that my initial response was wrong since I read your question to fast (I was also very tired if I remember correctly) and so I gave you wrong answer. Sorry for misleading you. If you indeed were able to train local and your own units as soon as you conquered that region then you have a wrong (older) version installed. Download the newest version from here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219733

I have to apologize, because i asked the question too fast. I have since taken more time to read the building descriptions. The settlement has (had at the time i captured it, anyway) already got the local control building, hence the local troops. I was not able to recruit my faction troops, though the Gauls somehow had a couple of units in their army (which, incidentally also had 2 units of naked Gauls, who proceeded to massacre most of the Ligurian nobility, causing me to get myself reincarnated as Tyrant of Syracuse instead. Sicily is SO much more civilized, don't you know!).

Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me! Again, great work with this mod. I'm having the time of my life with it. Reminds my of the first time i tried Europa Barbarorum.

Oh, thank you so much for your kind words! Am very glad when someone enjoys our work.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by samba_liten View Post
    I have to apologize, because i asked the question too fast. I have since taken more time to read the building descriptions. The settlement has (had at the time i captured it, anyway) already got the local control building, hence the local troops. I was not able to recruit my faction troops, though the Gauls somehow had a couple of units in their army (which, incidentally also had 2 units of naked Gauls, who proceeded to massacre most of the Ligurian nobility, causing me to get myself reincarnated as Tyrant of Syracuse instead. Sicily is SO much more civilized, don't you know!).

Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me! Again, great work with this mod. I'm having the time of my life with it. Reminds my of the first time i tried Europa Barbarorum.
    Bold part: ... that is what i expected, and would have been content of what i would have asked you about that "issue".
    It would be possible to split such buildings more into faction buildings, but i think it works also good as it is now, and therfore also, PI has the hidden resources, that a faction cannot recruit everywhere the same units.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Dorian's Avatar Libertus

I have downloaded your beautiful mod and my campaign advances smoothly but... I cannot fight real-time: The game crashes with no log to tell why, but I get a message saying "unable to find texture 'data/vegetation/(null)'. Any idea what should I fix?

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Is your RTW-BI 1.6 working flawlessly in the battle mode?
    Sounds like you have not an unmodified BI version, or you did a wrong modification of PI by yourself.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Dorian, nobody has reported that problem so DaVinci must be right.

Dorian's Avatar Libertus

Thanks, DaVinci and Hister. I guess my RTW is corrupted, so I'll reinstall it.

Gained some more info on the Man of the Hour bug. (After a player controlled battle where the "general" survives, the prospective adoptee ends up dead the instant you make the adoption offer. Autocalced battles don't have this problem.)

I just had my first successful adoption after a player controlled "battle". I manuevered to face the enemy and after some light skirmishing between our missile unit screens, the AI withdrew. No casualties on my side to anyone but slingers. As in zero casualties to general's unit. Since this was a relief of a siege, the battle was important enough to trigger a MotH event, which worked properly. So there's got to be some kind of bug in the event triggers for this mod where the 1st casualty to the general's unit is assumed to be the general after a player battle regardless of what happens on the field.

Thank you Pode for your valuable info. Hope we can fix this.

Another MotH attempt, another bit of insight. Kept the general out of the fighting except to chase routers this time. No casualties to his unit at all, certainly not himself. Still died the instant I adopted him. So the flaw seems to be related to the kills scored BY the general, not on the general. Which would make sense, as the test scenario at Caudium on Roman turn one that I've been using always results in the enemy dying to a man or dissolving in rout afterwards. So if it's bugged to look at percentage enemy killed to see if the general survived the fight, that would explain why I run into this problem so often in this scenario and autocalced fights and more normal fights where some of the enemy survive work better.

Pode can you try to see if your adopted general dies also if you apply those 3 files?

Lemme make some backups, then start a new test campaign. Be back with result in a bit.

Edit: Nope, he still croaked.
    Last edited by Pode; May 12, 2009 at 04:59 PM.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Some recruitment issues:

As Italiotes I dont seem to be able to recruit the tarantine phalanx

As Syracuse I can recruit elite syracuse hoplites in all syracusan starting provinces but I am only able to recruit the militia syracusan spearman in Syracuse. Isnt it supposed to be the other way around?

Lemme make some backups, then start a new test campaign. Be back with result in a bit.

Edit: Nope, he still croaked.
    Heck, I'll have to ask HouseOfHam for help on this one.

As Italiotes I dont seem to be able to recruit the tarantine phalanx
    Humh, never realized this one - fixed for next version.

As Syracuse I can recruit elite syracuse hoplites in all syracusan starting provinces but I am only able to recruit the militia syracusan spearman in Syracuse. Isnt it supposed to be the other way around?
    Yes correct - fixed now.

Thanx.