Thread: [SS AAR] Land of the Scots

Default [SS AAR] Land of the Scots

This is my AAR of my new Scottish campaign presented in the form of a history book that compiled a history of Scotland from numerous "historical" sources. Settings are H/VH what I'm using are:
    SS 6.1
    RR
    Crimson Tide 4.2
    SSTC
    Faction Leaders 8.0
    Text Overhaul

Foreword

The following is a brief history of medieval Scotland starting with the reign of King Mael Coluim (Malcolm III) as told by historical documents and sources as well as analysis and theories from some of the best historians in the field.

The year is 1080. The Normans led by King William I "the Conqueror" control the English empire from Normandy to Nottingham with the French looking on in caution. King Malcolm III sits on the throne of Scotland in Edinburgh and the Irish look to unite their isle under one High King.

1. Malcolm III - Peacemaker

The following are excerpts from The Biography of
    Donnchad mac Maíl Coluim by an unnamed biographer. Donnchad mac Maíl Coluim (Duncan II) was the heir to the Scottish throne.

"... In the years leading up to ten ninty-five in the year of our Lord, the good King
    Máel Coluim mac Donnchada had political aspirations with the intent of securing Scotland's future against outside invasion. The Normans to the south were led by the bloodthirsty William I, duke of Normandy, king of England who would stop at nothing to place the entirety of Britain under his rule. Máel Coluim saw this for what it was and knew we would have to look outside of Britain for assistance when the Normans made their move.

My liege Donnchad was opposed to this, as he and his father did not always see eye to eye on things. You see,
    Máel Coluim and his brother Domnall were made of a very different stuff than his son. Donnchad wished to strike at the Normans while they were still consolidating. Máel Coluim would not risk this without the security of a firm ally. Domnall recommended the king seek some sort of unity with Ireland, but they were weak and Máel Coluim had other plans...

...An emissary was sent to Ile-de-France and brokered an alliance outside of Paris with the House of Capet, spoken for by Constance Capet. The French were cautious of William and knew it was only a matter of time before war would break out. Together we would present a dangerous challenge to Norman power..."

YORK

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"... Within years a force was assembled to take control of Northumbria. The best militias were drafted and the fiercest from the highlands around Inverness were armed and organized. Máel Coluim saw this as necessary to cement the future of Scotland and the safety of Edinburgh. The king was a peacefully man but his ultimate desire was to secure Scotland's place in Britain. It didn't take much urging from Domnall and Donnchad to convince him to wrest control of the the region from the Normans. He chose his brother Domnall to lead the troops into battle...

... Finally, in ten ninety-five Domnall and his forces assaulted the town of York."

The Battle of York Analysis

At the battle of York, Scottish forces assembled on two roads into the town.

Companies of mixed infantry approached from both sides each supported by a company of bowmen. Domnall and his companies of cavalry remained in reserve until needed.

The English forces were comprised of bowmen, spears levied from English towns, Welsh mercenaries, and a heavy cavalry company comprised of the Duke of York and his entourage.

The fighting was brutal and casualties mounted on both sides.

Though one of the fronts began to falter, the Scottish rallied and were eventually victorious against the English garrison.

Domnall mac Donnchada (Donald III) was seriously wounded in the battle and he carried those scars for the rest of his life. He was, however, successful in battle and became the Scottish Duke of York.

Barser's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Land of the Scots

Impressive

I guess donald 3 has one of the unique skins applyed to some of the starting generals.

Cant wait to see next part.

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

Thanks, I was/am going for something different than I saw in most AARs; I'm trying to play it more historically/realistically and less gloriously. I'll try to get the next part up tonight or tomorrow at latest.

Era of Peace

http://www.photoeverywhere.co.uk index

"... News of success reached Edinburgh alongside an emissary from the Normans. He claimed William had no interest in war with Scotland, and it would be profitable for both sides to reach an agreement. With Domnall in York, my lord Donnchad wielded the most influence with the good king. Reports from within French lands showed the greater part of the Norman army as committed to fighting in Flanders. He urged
    Máel Coluim to seize this opportunity and press the advantage... A ceasefire was brokered..."

When the ceasefire was agreed upon later in 1095, an era of peace was ushered in across Britain. Schools and churches were built throughout Scotland, it was a time of learning and trading. It is because of this age that Malcolm III become known as "the Peacemaker".

In the shadows, it was also a time of preparation. Malcolm expanded on an intelligence network that spanned across England and into to France. Forces were being drawn from all over the highlands and sent to York and Edinburgh. France reached an agreement with Ireland. This unified front dissuaded Norman aggression for decades until early 1113 when Norman incursions into Northumbria began. There were no declarations of war in this scouting exercise, but tensions ran high.

Within a few years France launched offensives in Normandy and Flanders. While the English fought the French in Europe, they opened a new front in Ireland, quickly seizing the city of Dublin.

In 1129 King William I "the Conqueror" king of England and duke of Normandy, died with his empire very much in question.

With the war going sourly in Europe, the new English sovereign declared open war on Scotland and laid siege to it's old holding of York.

York 1134

Led by Aston de Morely, a glory seeking noble with high standing in the Norman courts, an estimated army of three thousand laid siege to York. The Scottish garrison approximately a third in size was heavily outnumbered and a second force English cut the town off from the north and reinforcements.

"... the relief force sent was met by a contingent of Norman spears.... fled back to the ships... Domnall himself was still trapped in the beleaguered town... this distressed the king. "

A week after the siege began, the Normans sought to reclaim what they saw as rightfully theirs.

An excerpt from the battle report of a Norman officer:

"... the wooden palisades surrounding the settlement were quickly battered down by the catapults masterfully commanded by our engineers. Our brave general gave the order and the cavalry stormed the breach."

"... with the breach opened and exploited by the cavalry, the levies moved in and began the real dirty work."

"... within three hours the last pockets of resistance were cleaned out and the town was completely under our control."

"... It's with great regret that I report that during fighting, Aston de Morely was slain in his zealotry. Nonetheless, he served the king well and it is because of him that Northumbria is again in Norman hands..."

Excerpts once again from the biographer of
    Donnchad mac Maíl Coluim:

"...Word has reached us of the fall of York. It is believed that Donalbain was cut down down in the fighting. I do not doubt this, as consort to the court of Edinburgh I bear witness to the bravery and great honor that Domnall mac Donnchada embodied. His life and service for Scotland will long be remembered and his sacrifice mourned."

"
    With the fall of York, the road to Edinburgh is short."

Barser's Avatar Senator

Very nice. Keep it up.

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

2. The Rise of Duncan II

With the fall of York and the death of Donalbane, the aged King Malcolm III grew tired and atrophied. After their success in battle, the Normans looked towards Edinburgh. The king's son Duncan knew this and, acting independently of his father, ordered reinforcements from around Scotland to join the garrison at Edinburgh. Even with his father still on the throne, albeit in a diminished capacity, it became obvious who really held power in the house of Canmore. Malcolm would be dead within the year, but not before doing his people one last service.

By 1138, a Norman army marched on Edinburgh. The first, but certainly not the last.

Edinburgh 1138

In Edinburgh, the youngest son of Malcolm, Edmund, saw to the organizing and command of the garrison. Records indicate that he did not look kindly upon his brother Duncan.

"... While Donnchad saw to the support of Edinburgh, inside the city itself
    Etmond mac Maíl Coluim was acting in the name of the king. The young boy, ignoring the commands of his good brother remained behind with his father risking irreparable damage to the royal bloodline..."

The Normans launched a frontal assault on the city walls.

Excerpt from Edmund's letter to Duncan:

"... as the battle raged on the walls and the rams battered the gate, we were all taken aback when none other than King
    Maíl Coluim himself, our father, the man you were so quick to steal away power from, rode out from the stables with his company of guards... hollering orders majestically astride his warhorse... his presence invigorating the men as we waited to greet the foe with swords drawn..."

The attack failed disastrously for the Normans. One month later, King Malcolm III's health declined s died of natural causes. Only Edmund and his wife Margaret would be at his bedside. He named Duncan his heir

Ack, this is shorter than I wanted it to be but I'm out of time for now

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Very entertaining, well written/organized crisp graphics....+Rep Bravo
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; August 22, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Sorry about delay in posting but I'm currently getting College/Spore pwned. Hopefully this is just a hiatus and I will update when I can.

wonderful aar +rep

Default Re: [SS AAR] Land of the Scots

After a lot of college, winter break, in between games, and new versions of Real Recruitment, I can finally start a new campaign; a Scottish one of course . I've finally been playing a campaign bug-free enough, gameplay satisfactory and it just so happens to be Scottish Late Era campaign. It's a new campaign but it fits into this AAR, being Late Era and the previous being early and all. First post in too long will most likely be tomorrow, just have to type it up and host the images.

H/VH Late Era Campaign
    Crimson Tide
    SSTC
    Skymod 1.0
    RR/RC Feb. 20 patch and included mods (Such as Battle for the Baltic, 6.2 Patch, and Basilia)

3. The Lost Era 1139-1220

Scottish records are incomplete following the siege of Edinburgh in 1138 and the death of Malcolm III. There are two prominent theories as to why Malcolm III named Duncan his heir: Duncan was experienced in wars, and known to be ruthless and tact, Malcolm may have believed such a man was necessary to lead Scotland in war time; alternatively, Malcolm recognized that Duncan had long been gaining power among the nobility and within the royal court, and had he named his favored son Edmund to be king, Duncan would most likely seek power and embroil Scotland in a civil war.

Upon his ascension to the throne, and on the heels of the English defeat at Edinburgh, King Duncan II settled into an uneasy peace with King William. It is here that the Scottish records drop off, it is from English records that we learn that Duncan II reigned as a tyrant and, starting in 1142, rebellions and dissent began to swell throughout Scotland.
    Etmond mac Maíl Coluim gathered an army from the highlands loyal to him and the memory of Malcolm III, and attacked his brother, King Duncan II, outside of Edinburgh in 1145. Both Duncan and Edmund were killed in the fighting, with neither leaving behind a claimant.

From 1145 to 1219, various houses held the throne. This was an era of weak kings and continued political infighting. With Scotland seemingly on the decline, England was carefully watching the situation, waiting for a chance to reclaim some of it's former glory in battle; England had lost all of it's holdings in France, Wales declared independence, and Dublin was on the verge of revolt.

Then, early in 1220, something happened that would forever mark the year as a turning point for Scotland. A man claiming to be descended from Malcolm III took the throne of Scotland, returning it to the house of Canmore one final time.

4. The Reign of King Alexander II
    1220 - 1234

Alaxandair mac Uilliam and his sons, Donnchad and Domnall, rose to power almost unchallenged and, with some clever politicking by Donnchad, were widely accepted as rulers by the nobility. Alexander's claim of relation to Malcolm III as the son of a lost brother to Donald III, seems to be an accepted fact even outside of Scotland. Count Laurence of England, overseer of forces in the midlands, wrote to King Henry III:

"... and the newly crowned sovereign of Scotland is descended from the house of Canmore. I bring this to your attention because I believe this to be a troublesome turn of events. In flaunting his heritage, doubtlessly to quell troublemakers in the hostile environs of the Scottish court, a tradition of violence and insolence is remembered. With Lord Dudley having troubles in Ireland, I suggest we monitor this new situation in Edinburgh carefully... and support the northern boundaries."

King Alexander II took steps to consolidate power and reestablish sovereign control over the whole of Scotland. His sons were granted governorship as well as titular control over the cities and realms of Aberdeen, Duncan, and Inverness, Donald. Alexander also reaffirmed the old alliance to France, and in 1225, a year after the rebellion of Dublin against the English garrison, established a new one with Ireland. Despite this, there were minor troubles within Scotland herself these opening years of Alexander's reign.
    Last edited by eternalsteelfan; February 24, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

Leod mac Chainnech and the Meic Uilleim Clan Rebellion 1223-1226

Not all nobles were content with the ascension of Alexander. The Meic Uilleim clan made claim to the throne. Leod mac Chainnech claimed relation to Duncan II and in 1223, in the fledgling years of Alexander's reign, began gathering a force in the lowlands to challenge the new Canmores'. An excerpt from a message between the Meic Uilliem clan and Domnall mac Alaxandair:

"... you, a man of justness, knows it not to be right that our claimant, no less worthy in character or parentage, should be left without compensation. ... lowlands around Edinburgh, lands your father personally sees to... could some sort of payment not be arranged... our hands are being forced... to attack the throne. Let your wisdom see what your father cannot. Should he call upon you for help, know what is right."

The armed insurrection led by Leod robbed and pillaged villages throughout the lowlands. This thorn in the side of the king began to worry the loyal clans and nobles of the court, undermining Alexander's authority. An excerpt from the memoirs of Donnchad mac Alaxandair:

"... These peasants would have us all undone to satisfy their greed. Their claims to our bloodline disgrace us and shed a poor light on our heritage... but my lord is not a fool, he has assembled a force from the loyal highlanders and unhonorable clans, Domnall has seen to this and assisted our father beautifully."

It was finally in 1226 that King Alexander and his army personally ambushed Leod and his supporters outside of Edinburgh.

The fighting is said to have been brutal and quick. King Alexander's battle plan was executed, by all accounts, flawlessly, and was won with a clever deployment of cavalry.

Leod was killed in the fighting and clan Meic Uilleim was all but decimated by loyal clans throughout the lowlands as well as in the battle. With this show of force and the loyalty of the clans, Alexander's hold over the throne was all but cemented.

The Dublin Revolt

By 1223, Dublin was the last foreign holding of the English crown, having been removed from France decades before. Dublin had a long tradition of independence and defiance towards outside rule. Open revolts and acts of aggression were common, by 1223 a serious toll had been taken on the English garrison and the English Duke of Dublin, Gregory Dudley, sent a desperate appeal to King Henry for support.

"...It is in this situation that I ask for support. I've lost sixty men to Irish hostilities these past four months... another forty to malnutrition when our food stores were burned by arsonists, a fire in which another ten were lost... It has been six months without reinforcement, three without supply... I simply cannot operate with this level of manpower, the city is far too large and the populace unfriendly... I must tell you, without support soon, the city will be lost. If the men cannot be spared, Dublin will be lost."

Support never arrived, and in 1224 Gregory Dudley and a contingent of his forces abandoned the city, leaving behind only a skeleton crew of, reportedly, under two hundred men to garrison the city. Soon after, the city revolted and established itself as an independent state. It is unknown what happened to Gregory Dudley in this time, whether he returned to England or, as it is widely believed, he and his forces fled into the countryside near the castle of Galway.

The Irish High King of Cork, Galway, and at this point, Wales, attempted to unite Ireland with by bringing the newly independent city into the fold. When diplomacy failed, military actions were taken, and for seven years Dublin remained independent. Prince Duncan of Scotland had watched the situation carefully and in it saw an opportunity.

The future king of Scotland was known as a cruel man, but his politicking and convincing manner were unsurpassed at the time. His political savvy was crucial in building and maintaining his father's reign. It is believed that the Scottish nobility was even more loyal to Duncan than king Alexander, by no means a small feat. Duncan requested his father's backing for an assault on the free city of Dublin.

"Father, I only ask for your blessing, a mighty gift you could bestow upon me with so little effort... The highland clans have already pledged their support... I have drawn from their numbers already... These Irish of Dublin belong to Scotland, they refuse the High King time and again... should we allow our enemy to capitalize on our allies weakness? Should we allow our brothers to again be oppressed under the heel of Norman England? Noble king you know this action to be right..."

In the winter of 1231, Donnchad mac Alaxandair crossed the Irish sea and laid siege to Dublin, with the blessing of the king of Scotland.

The Siege of Dublin 1232

By spring of 1232, the Scottish army of over two thousand was ready to assault walls of Dublin. Duncan's memoirs continue:

"... our noble force stood ready to make good of our first opening."

"... walls stood firm, a breach refused to open..."

Because of the inability of Duncan's catapults to create an opening, the only choice aside from defeat was to launch a massive, bloody assault onto the walls.

Fighting was especially bitter for the Scots near the walls, where the Irish, known for the skill with javelins, cut down a great many Scots attempting to scale the walls.

"... our ladder companies paid the highest price, I saw many a brave Scot slaughtered by the javeineers atop the walls. I had no choice but to reinforce their ravaged numbers when the real fighting began."

Those at the city gate fared better:

"... Fortunately, the great cost of man on the walls was repaid with a clean battering of the gates... The engineers and manpower behind the rams performed brilliantly, and the gate fell quickly and without serious incident up until that point."

"... upon the breach, I cleverly smashed through the waiting Irish defenders with my cavalry and they were overrun by the following mass of infantry."

With the success at the gates and the remaining Irish forces fleeing towards the city center as the Scots pushed forward, the struggle for control of the walls swung in the favor of Duncan.

With the walls taken, the city was all but won. Duncan describes the fighting of the remaining Irish in the city center:

"... Dublin was within our grasp, the only remaining resistence stubbornly battled near the center of town. Their deaths in vain, I would have personally cut down their families for the extra price of men they cost me."

The cost of such a brazen frontal assault would come back to haunt Duncan, but for the time being Dublin would answer the the throne of Alexander and, more realistically, the rule of the new Scottish duke of Dublin, Duncan.

Opening Blitz of the Britannia War 1232

Shortly after the taking of Dublin, back in Britain, an English army made a daring incursion into the lowlands. Under the command of General Elias Berkeley, a landless noble, the moderately sized vanguard was first spotted late 1232.

In Ireland, the dominant Irish high kingdom of Cork-Galway-Caernarvon (the former kingdom of Wales centered in Caernarvon having submitted to the High King) was apparently unhappy with Scotland's encroachment onto mainland Ireland. Despite previous agreements and relations, the High King approved Lord Domnall of Ireland and his army to lay siege to the wayward city of Dublin.

By the end of 1232 and into 1233, Scotland was assaulted from two fronts, the Irish laying siege to Dublin and General Berkeley of England assaulting the capital Edinburgh.
    Last edited by eternalsteelfan; February 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Very well done + rep

Great, added you rep.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank you

The Death of Alexander II - Edinburgh

In 1234, Scotland was back on it's heels. Dublin was under attack by the Irish and Edinburgh was surrounded by an English army. Highland reinforcements were repelled away from the city, leaving only the Scottish garrison to protect the king and his court.

In the spring, Fulk Plantagenet, a favored son of King Henry, arrived with his own army comprised of longbowmen, heavy infantry, and knights to assist in the final assault. Inside the city, King Alexander and two of his own sons, Edward (Eideard) and Edmund (Etmund), prepared for the coming battle.

The Scottish, outnumbered nearly two to one against the English force believed to have been over twenty-five hundred, and inferiorly trained and equipped were unable to effectively defend the walls with such a large force at the gate.

One section of wall was quickly taken by an English company whom penetrated the defenses and met the Scottish army within the city. All the while, battering rams punished the city gate.

Once the gates fell, the first brutal struggle began.

This first wave, Elias Berkeley's army, was unable to defeat the Scots and Berkeley was killed in the fighting. The remnants of his army fled to reorganize.

Regardless, serious casaulties were inflicted among the Scottish numbers and the main army, Plantagenet's, was rapidly approaching.

The remaining Scots gathered at the gate and prepared for the next phase of battle as Alexander ordered the surviving bowmen to harass the approaching English.

The heavily armored knights were ordered to charge the breached gates. They were repelled but not without inflicting heavy casualties, among them the King of Scotland himself as well as Fulk Plantagenet.

Battered, and reeling from the death of their King, the powerful English infantry companies were able to quickly overrun the remaining, scattered Scots, taking complete control of the walls and defenses. A hectic withdraw began as the survivors fled toward the city center.

The English infantry and longbowmen began pushing their push towards the center while Edward and Edmund gathered what survivors made it for the final battle.

Edward led the survivors into one last charge. Under fire from English arrows, Edmund and the few loyal survivors of his cavalry company navigated the streets and flanked the English bowmen. Edmund died, but his sacrifice gave the Scots a fighting chance.

Fierce fighting exploded as the Scottish charge met the English column. Led by the young Edward, the charge was successful, the English fled.

After hours of costly fighting, the Scottish finally emerged victorious; a phyrric victory more akin to a hobbled man crawling to the top of a pile of dead bodies than a glorious conquest. The King of Scotland was dead along with his youngest son, an English general, and a song of King Henry III.
    Last edited by eternalsteelfan; March 05, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Going home for spring break, no updates for at least a week. See you then

tuore's Avatar Senator

Really looks like you have spent time doing this! Awesome!