Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ships previous to 1700.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Default Re: Ships previous to 1700.

Armada:

Also part of a neat movie however I have never seen it. EDIT: Saw it now, is decent.

Last edited by Aetius; February 07, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    Speaking of pre 1700 ships, the Batavia Werf (Batavia Yard) is building a full scale 100% seaworthy replica of the Ship of the line De Zeven Provincien (The Seven Provinces).
    Several Dutch navy ships have been named De Zeven Provincien, this is the one from 1665-1694.
    Whoow! I may have to revise my opinion of the Dutch. Every Dutchman I've met so far has had zero interest in the history of his country. In fact, most of them seem hell bent on destroying as much of it as they can get their hands on. What they have done to Waterloo is criminal.

However, this is pretty impressive, are you sure its actually being built by the Dutch?

In my experience its usually foriegn investors who step in a rescue places of historical interest in the Netherlands. I was even part of an English attempt to buy the Waterloo battlefield, just to try an stop them turning it into a theme park.

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Armada:

Also part of a neat movie however I have never seen it. EDIT: Saw it now, is decent.
    It perhaps tries to be a little too 'Lord of the Rings' for its own good, and the actual naval action is rather limited, but it is a good film.

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Whoow! I may have to revise my opinion of the Dutch. Every Dutchman I've met so far has had zero interest in the history of his country. In fact, most of them seem hell bent on destroying as much of it as they can get their hands on. What they have done to Waterloo is criminal.

However, this is pretty impressive, are you sure its actually being built by the Dutch?

In my experience its usually foriegn investors who step in a rescue places of historical interest in the Netherlands. I was even part of an English attempt to buy the Waterloo battlefield, just to try an stop them turning it into a theme park.
    Huh, what we have done to Waterloo? Nothing. Waterloo is in Belgium and not in The Netherlands.
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; December 21, 2009 at 06:07 PM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

A remarkable carrack; 366 bronze cannons- over 1000 tons.
    In the 16th century, around 1534, it was built in Portugal the biggest and most powerful warship in the world: the galleon São João Baptista (in English St. John Baptist), generally known as Botafogo ("spitfire")
    Become famous during the conquest of Tunis.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/botafogo-galleon
    http://www.answers.com/topic/turkish...uese-conflicts
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM.

Time / Life books once had a book series called " the Great Ships "
    In one of those books there was a modern blueprint-like broadside view of the late 16th century , " Henri Grace Adieu "
    Does anyone happen to have a scan of that picture ?
    That picture is the very representation of what, as a child, I thought the great Spanish treasure Galleons were ; squat, tubby, big, with a big castle on the frount end, and a huge , decorated , party- colored castle on the stern end.

MarcoA's Avatar Foederatus

Icon4 Re: Ships previous to 1700.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthey View Post
    It perhaps tries to be a little too 'Lord of the Rings' for its own good, and the actual naval action is rather limited, but it is a good film.
    Hey, i wached this film. It's not "Lord of Rings" just because it don't have naval action. It's representing the truth, or you think that they wasted ships easily? And probaly there are english errors in my text, but i'm not american, then i don't need to speak it. Please don't say my gramatical errors!

Wow, very big and beautiful ships.....

Incomitatus's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post

Didz, for shame! Waterloo is south of Brussels. Granted, it was in the Netherlands in 1815, but borders have changed, unless there's been an annexation I missed.
    Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - Terence

My M2:TW 4TPY Script, Adapted to Work With Hotseat.

Guides and Useful Posts of Mine
    Middle Earth Strategikon (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)(WIP: ~60% Complete)
    Advice on Playing as Gondor - Part I - Part II (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)
    Dirty Secret to Killing Trolls Fast and Easy (M2:TW: TATW)
    The Basics of Naval Engagements Part I - Part II (EMPIRE: DMUC)
    Roman Army Composition and Use (RTW: RTR Platinum)

Quote Originally Posted by Incomitatus View Post
    Didz, for shame! Waterloo is south of Brussels. Granted, it was in the Netherlands in 1815, but borders have changed, unless there's been an annexation I missed.
    Exactly! it was part of the Netherlands in 1815. It did not become independent until 1830, which may be another reason why they don't give a damn for their history prior to that date of course. Not sure if the Belgians consider the history of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands to be a part of their history or not, but I would have expected the Dutch to take a bit more interest in it.
    Last edited by Didz; May 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Samurai View Post
    Huh, what we have done to Waterloo? Nothing. Waterloo is in Belgium and not in The Netherlands.
    Yep, one of the first historical blunders I set straight when I bought ETW.

Quote Originally Posted by skap187 View Post
    Yep, one of the first historical blunders I set straight when I bought ETW.
    As far as I am aware Waterloo doesn't get mentioned in ETW, but Belgium is correctly shown as Flanders on the campaign map and is part of the Spanish Empire at the start of the game as it was in real life until 1713.

After the War of the Spanish Succession these territories were transferred to the Habsburg Empire and were known as the Austrian Netherlands from 1713-1794 when they were annexed by the French Republic and divided into nine seperate departments as part of France.

Following the defeat of Napoleon in 1815 the area became part of the newly formed Kingdon of the United Netherlands and remained as such until 1830 when it secured independence as Belgium.

So, somehwere in that mess the village of Waterloo was successively part of the Spanish Empire, the Austrian Empire, France and the Netherlands. However, at the time of the battle it was part of the Kindom of the United Netherlands (e.g. Dutch 'as in I live in England but I'm also British' from a context pont of view.)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4045 View Post
    this is the famous HMS Centurion engaging Neustra Senora del Covadonga in 1741 - probably the best prize ever captured on Sea.. Comodore Anson became Admiral and later first Lord of Admirality. He reformed British Navy significantly... btw HMS Centurion was 60gun 4 rate, while Neustra Senora had 36 guns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123