Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post your 2km running time

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Post your 2km running time

Quote Originally Posted by kenenisa bekele View Post
    I run 2k in 5:40 and 5k in 15:48
    Welcome to the forum Mr Farah. Pleasure to have you here.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

^ Shouldn't you be welcoming Kenesisa Bekele, not Mo Farah?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Increasing your steady pace speed overtime is the key here where your heart rate remains low without you huffing and puffing quickly. And it has a lot to do with practice, eating habits/nutrition and rest.

You will get there eventually as it took me a long time to get me to complete 5K in 25 minutes.
    Well, I can run a sustained 5:20-5:30/km pace without huffing and puffing, but my weekly mileage is now 60-70km and I'd rather do the majority of those at a very easy pace. In fact, that same pace has come down a fair bit since I started running two years ago. Running is one of those things where you have to invest a little every day but the actual returns will be months and years down the track. I am hopeful that my very easy pace this time next year will be closer to a 25 minute 5k (so I'd be running 20-21 minutes for a race), but I'm in no hurry. The important thing is to stay healthy and injury free and of course enjoy oneself.

EDIT - For clarity between 'easy' and 'very easy'.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; August 25, 2018 at 03:14 PM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    ^ Shouldn't you be welcoming Kenesisa Bekele, not Mo Farah?
    My mistake lol, I'd never heard of Kenenisa Bekele and thought it was just the poster's real name, so made a joke. Looks like the joke's on me, unless of course Mr Bekele really is a Total War fan.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

You're running now. You ought to get up on the names of the greats... Prefontaine, Bekele, Kipchoge, de Castella, Rupp... the list goes on.

I ran my club's 7km handicap yesterday and came in second with most improved time (from 36 minutes down to 33:56) since the last race a couple months ago. It's probably not my fastest, but I did run a 9:34 2km split during that so posting here to keep as a record for when I beat it.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; August 25, 2018 at 03:23 PM.

@Octavian
    Make sure to take a complete 24 hours of rest from running. Body needs rest. My major problem of decrease in strength was because I was over-training and doing a ton of cardio. Obviously it increased my endurance, where i lost 9½kgs of weight as well, by a long shot but my deadlift dropped from 230 kgs (506 lbs) to (308 lbs) which was a serious letdown for me mentally. The toughest part for me is maintaining strength along with body aesthetics.

Also make sure your diet is on-point. Being a vegetarian i rely on a load of veggies. Though besides that I use the following supplements in addition:
    1) Vitamin C (Boosts Testa)
    2) Vitamin E (Anti-inflammatory, fights free radicals after a long session of cardio)
    3) Vitamin D3 (Calcium, bones and .)
    ^These 3 are mainly used by me when i'm a cutting diet and want to lose weight fast. Otherwise you can get all this from a healthy diet, milk, juices & sunshine.

4) Creatine (Boosts ATP regeneration and improves anaerobic performance)
    5) Beta Alanine (Boosts Stamina - I find this very beneficial for me.)
    6) Glutamine (Muscle recovery and helps in preserving any muscle loss due to extensive cardio)
    7) Sodium | Phosphorous ratio in body (To maintain proper blood pressure and electrolyte balance)<---For this I take Himalayan Pink Salt, Cream of Tartar and Lemon in a glass of water immediately after my running sessions.

Believe me, Ishan, I'm not a newbie when it comes to running. I actually do know a ton about it, but I don't lift and I'm not interested in strength or muscle mass. By the way, the body doesn't need 24 hours of complete rest. We're not built for that and our bodies bounce back quicker than you may think.* There's plenty of evidence to show that running every day is good for you (running twice a day a few times a week is even better after a point). I can't help but suspect that in your case with the overtraining you ran hard every day. Don't do that. You don't need to run a 20 minute 5k every day. I know sub-18 guys who run as slow as I do on occasion. Run slow to run more. Mix it up with different paces. You don't need to flog yourself every time you run.

* Speaking exclusively as a runner. With your lifting, your body probably needs a bit more rest than mine. I've built up to running 6 days/60-70km a week over a long period. It's not particularly high mileage by a long stretch, but my body can handle it and I like it. Probably 10% of that is done at a 'fast' pace. The rest is slow so that come race day, I have the energy to perform. Am I slow in general? Yeah. But you don't get fast overnight and taking vitamins isn't going to make any measurable difference.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; August 29, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

24 hour rest was when you want to give your 100%. When accurately calculating your VO2 Max it's generally advised to do it with a 24Hr recovering time with no caffeine etc. I meant in that aspect.

And you're completely right about the over-training part. I did too much on a stressful level which resulted in my hip flexor \ psoas minor muscle being strained. Another crucial factor was low carb diet since i'm on a cut right now. Lost 9½ kgs in 3 weeks with restrictive diet and that seemed to ed my weightlifting performance by a long-shot. So now i have reduced my training time till my muscle pain complete vanishes.

I used to enjoy running few months back when i used to easily jog 5 kms in 26-30 minutes. And really enjoying it in the morning but somewhere being obsessed with greater performance and 6 packs aesthetic i killed the fun and over-trained my body.

Though i do recommend you try out Beta Alanine. You would not regret taking it.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

After years of being seriously obese I took up running about 9 years ago, I could jog for about 2 and half minutes. I lost a 120 pounds.

That being said best mile since losing the weight 6:19
    5k 22:18
    10k just under 49min
    12k 58:52
    Half Marathon 1:52:30
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Those are some pretty good numbers BWB. And congrats on the massive weight loss program you went through.
    I also lost 116.6 pounds myself, started 3 years ago and then gained muscle mass. My current BW is 210 lbs, which increased by 10 lbs recently, due to leg injury I have currently.

I loathed cardio but eventually you begin to love it. Personally for me it took a lot of patience. Weightlifting is more easy for me.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Those are some pretty good numbers BWB. And congrats on the massive weight loss program you went through.
    I also lost 116.6 pounds myself, started 3 years ago and then gained muscle mass. My current BW is 210 lbs, which increased by 10 lbs recently, due to leg injury I have currently.

I loathed cardio but eventually you begin to love it. Personally for me it took a lot of patience. Weightlifting is more easy for me.
    I also used to believe weightlifting was more interesting and quite easy for me, but now I (strangely enough) prefer long distance running.

PS
    I also run everyday without rest. 5K under 25 minutes, around 70-80K weekly. I'm not a very healthy eater tbh and my sleep schedule is awful, but my good genes and metabolism are helping with my physique

Currently out with an injury - high hamstring tendinopathy. From what I've been told by physios, it was bound to happen anyway due to muscle weakness/glutes not firing. I was in a lot of pain three weeks ago but following rehab, I'm getting back to a point where I can run more than a couple times a week. By run, I mean jog at a very slow 7:00-7:30/km pace. Still better than nothing. I have a 10k late November which I was just starting to train for, but I don't know if I'm even going to come remotely close to running it at the pace I had planned, let alone race it at all.

Anyway, it's meant October (and probably the rest of the year) has been a total write-off for me. So far I've run a fifth of my usual monthly mileage and it's driven me stir crazy, but I guess it's better to take it easy now so I can run strong again next year.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    Currently out with an injury - high hamstring tendinopathy. From what I've been told by physios, it was bound to happen anyway due to muscle weakness/glutes not firing. I was in a lot of pain three weeks ago but following rehab, I'm getting back to a point where I can run more than a couple times a week. By run, I mean jog at a very slow 7:00-7:30/km pace. Still better than nothing. I have a 10k late November which I was just starting to train for, but I don't know if I'm even going to come remotely close to running it at the pace I had planned, let alone race it at all.

Anyway, it's meant October (and probably the rest of the year) has been a total write-off for me. So far I've run a fifth of my usual monthly mileage and it's driven me stir crazy, but I guess it's better to take it easy now so I can run strong again next year.
    So sorry to hear that buddy. I wish you a speedy recovery.

What a difference a week makes. I'm finally back to my old jogging paces (5:45-6:15/km). Ran 35kms over the last 7 days which wasn't my intention but I felt good and still feel good. I reckon I might aim to maintain 35-40kms for the next couple weeks and then move on up. I'd like to eventually get back to running 60-70kms a week, but I'm obviously cautious about re-injuring myself. I think with the addition of strength training, that should be less likely but you never know in the short-term.

Glad to hear of your recovery.Your jogging numbers are cool, happy to see you have recovered your progress.

Unfortunately i have a grade 3 muscle tear in my hip flexor and my situation is not going to improve for 2 months or more, which is a major bummer since I really crave running now. Thing i hate most is that i can't do legs anymore or deadlifts, which is my favourite exercise.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Congratulations right back. Running is hard get into, knees, hips, lung ribs all hurt a lot in the beginning. I found it extremely helpful to have a plan and set goals. Then all that pain went toward something.

Weightlifting has always been hard for me, I have more or less constant shoulder and back problems thanks to a touch of scoliosis. I can't really lift more than 70 pounds or my head.

I did just run a 5k in my town in 23:14, I'm pretty proud of that. My PRs are all 5 years in the past and Father Time is slowing me down.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Got a hilly 5k on Sunday. I was going to do the 10k, but my injury meant I couldn't train for it. I've run through the course a couple times and I think I can make it, but as the first 2/3rds is mainly uphill, it's going to be a fairly significant negative split and definitely slower than a flat 5k.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12