Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia name dispute, Mk 2

Default Re: Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia name dispute, Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Karakale, Attila isn't spreading propaganda. Kolletis told so and we were told in school. He wanted to unite all Greeks, including those Northern in the Balkans. The Great Idea.
    i know m8, you misunderstand me. Do you think he used that way ?
    Or more like the Athenian speeches against Phillip
    A dead enemy always smells good - Alus Vitellus

formerly known as karakalos10

I believe this was the full quote...

"the kingdom of Greece is not Greece; it is only a part, the smallest and poorest, of Greece. The Greek is not only he who inhabits the kingdom, but also he who lives in Ioannina (Epirus), or Thessaloniki (Macedonia), or Serres (Macedonia), or Odrin (Thrace)"

Quote Originally Posted by attilavolciak07 View Post
    I believe this was the full quote...

"the kingdom of Greece is not Greece; it is only a part, the smallest and poorest, of Greece. The Greek is not only he who inhabits the kingdom, but also he who lives in Ioannina (Epirus), or Thessaloniki (Macedonia), or Serres (Macedonia), or Odrin (Thrace)"
    yep thank you for that quote.

If you read his whole speech he says SKOPJE, this could be proof, slavic or not that macedonia should share the history

whats in a name

i quote was you said

he kingdom of Greece is not Greece; it is only a part, the smallest and poorest, of Greece. [U]The Greek is not only he who inhabits the kingdom, but also[/U] he who lives in Ioannina (Epirus), or Thessaloniki (Macedonia), or Serres (Macedonia), or Odrin (Thrace)"
    Έστιν ουν Ελλάς και η Μακεδονία"

"Macedonia is greek" Strabon

Ok.... Ok lets work on the naming issue, these are the proposed five options which one do yuo like more?
    Afterall the whole debate always goes to history, never to the issue the name!

"Constitutional Republic of Macedonia"
    "Democratic Republic of Macedonia"
    "Independent Republic of Macedonia"
    "New Republic of Macedonia"
    "Republic of Upper Macedonia"

PS I like the first one and the fourth one!
    Last edited by attilavolciak07; August 07, 2008 at 01:25 PM.

"Constitutional Republic of Vardaria"
    "Democratic Republic of Vardaria"
    "Independent Republic of Vardaria"
    "New Republic of Vardaria"
    "Republic of Upper Vardaria"
    all are nice

Quote Originally Posted by karakalos10 View Post
    all are nice

What if you changed 'Macedonia' into the Thessalonica Province

Besides the vardar is too small of a river

Oh and you know the Ancient Olympics, well why were the ancient macedonians not allowed to participate?

Oh and you know the Ancient Olympics, well why were the ancient macedonians not allowed to participate?
    sorry my friend they did

sorry my friend they did
    take a look at this then,

A passage in book five of Herodotus' Histories (5.22) concerns the exclusion of Macedonians from panhellenic events such as the Ancient Olympic Games. In 504 or 500 BC, the Macedonian king Alexander I attempted to participate in the Olympic Games, and met with resistance by competitors, who regarded him as a non-Hellene

A passage in book five of Herodotus' Histories (5.22) concerns the exclusion of Macedonians from panhellenic events such as the Ancient Olympic Games. In 504 or 500 BC, the Macedonian king Alexander I attempted to participate in the Olympic Games, and met with resistance by competitors, who regarded him as a non-Hellene
    Mostly Athenians who he beat in the games anyway. Basically anyone they don't like Greek or not instantly became non Greek. Athenians being the only Ionians on the mainland had this snobbish view they were above the rest and the only real True Greeks on the mainland.

When it suited them they denied basically anyone non Greek from Thebans, to thessalians to Spartans and the Macedonians.

Alexander, however, proving himself to be an Argive, was judged to be a Greek. He accordingly competed in the furlong race and tied step for first place. This, then, is approximately what happened.

Macedonians in the ancient Olympic games
    One of the most common arguments against the Greek identity of ancient Macedonia is that Macedonians did not take part in the Olympic games like the rest of the Hellenes. Of course this is a another big lie. The winners lists which survive until today show clearly that many Macedonians did take part and win in the Olympic games.

480 Boxing Theagenes Thasos
    472 Boys' Boxing Tellon Orestheia
    408 Tethrippon Archelaos King of Macedonia
    380 Pankration Xenophon Aigai
    356 Horse Race Philip II King of Macedonia
    352 Tethrippon Philip II King of Macedonia
    348 Synoris Philip II King of Macedonia
    328 Stadion Kliton Unknown
    320 Stadion Damasias Amphipolis
    304 Tethrippon Lampos Philippoi
    292 Stadion Antigonos Unknown
    288 Stadion Antigonos Unknown
    268 Foals' Tethrippon Belestichos Unknown
    268 Stadion Seleukos Unknown
    264 Synoris Belestichos Unknown
    129 Unknown Diephilos Aigai

Quote Originally Posted by nemgod View Post
    Mostly Athenians who he beat in the games anyway. Basically anyone they don't like Greek or not instantly became non Greek. Athenians being the only Ionians on the mainland had this snobbish view they were above the rest and the only real True Greeks on the mainland.

When it suited them they denied basically anyone non Greek from Thebans, to thessalians to Spartans and the Macedonians.
    Understood, but there is one flaw in your argument.

This took place in 500 BC, Alexander had them Atticazied bty then!

Another quote
    Macedon was heavily Atticised from the time of Alexander the Great. Moreover, there are indications that there were pan-Hellenic influences in the Macedonian kingdom as early as the 5th century BC. King Archelaus established the new capital at Pella, a festival in honor of Zeus at Dion, a city right next to Mt. Olympus, and welcomed southern Greek intellectuals into the kingdom. Athenian playwriters such as Euripides and Agathon and the famous painter Zeuxis all were influential in the early kingdom. Euripides wrote his last two tragedies at Archelaus' court

Understood, but there is one flaw in your argument.

This took place in 500 BC, Alexander had them Atticazied bty then!

Another quote
    Macedon was heavily Atticised from the time of Alexander the Great. Moreover, there are indications that there were pan-Hellenic influences in the Macedonian kingdom as early as the 5th century BC. King Archelaus established the new capital at Pella, a festival in honor of Zeus at Dion, a city right next to Mt. Olympus, and welcomed southern Greek intellectuals into the kingdom. Athenian playwriters such as Euripides and Agathon and the famous painter Zeuxis all were influential in the early kingdom. Euripides wrote his last two tragedies at Archelaus' court
    hahaha
    "Macedon was heavily Atticised"

Modern greek language came from the Attic Dialect, so Sparta, dorians, weren't greeks ? hahaha

Thank you for proving what all this time what i am saying

Southern greek , Athenians hahahaahahahaahaha

hahaha
    "Macedon was heavily Atticised"

Modern greek language came from the Attic Dialect, so Sparta, dorians, weren't greeks ? hahaha

Thank you for proving what all this time what i am saying

Southern greek , Athenians hahahaahahahaahaha

actually my point is proven

If it the language came from attic dialect then that supports rep of macedonia that ethnic macedonians are not related to greece and have a different history!

i was just responding to nemgod said that athenians thought they were the true greeks!

actually my point is proven

If it the language came from attic dialect then that supports rep of macedonia that ethnic macedonians are not related to greece and have a different history!

i was just responding to nemgod said that athenians thought they were the true greeks!
    acrually greek language came fron attic dialect

If Greek language came from attic dialect that supports that other greeks belong to an other ethnos ?
    For sure they got different history too.

it doesn't make sense amigo

hahahaha

doomed

guys u will never end this ?? jajaja

how many threads like this one have been? just curious:hmmm:
    Last edited by silvercolum; August 07, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Listen, if Attic dialect is greek and the macedonians were atticised that means that macedonians had to be hellenized by the greeks.

Plus, a majority of Illyrian and Thracian populace was in macedon. The conquests of Phillip gained a wider population of them and they integrated into the society.

Listen, if Attic dialect is greek and the macedonians were atticised that means that macedonians had to be hellenized by the greeks.
    Even before Alexander greek language started to atticised, Thebans used it, Corinthians used it etc tec

Plus, a majority of Illyrian and Thracian populace was in macedon. The conquests of Phillip gained a wider population of them and they integrated into the society.
    The conquest of Phillip was northen places were mostly were populated by non-greeks.
    Alexander conquered the whole Asia were mostly were populated by non-greeks.

What your point m8 ?