Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome) - *IBFD*

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome)

Stop the OOC posts here. This isn't an ooc thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Indefinitely Banned

OOC: sorry winter. hehehehe...did you get the joke? alright, im sorry, i'll stop now.

Bran's Rangers leave to be replaced by 2 new men, to keep watch over the Curia.

Oppius stands for the last time in the Senate House of Rome.
    "Fellow Senators, I shall depart for the Augustus. My duty is to him and all of the Roman people, not to one city that is no longer the center of the world.
    I hope that you fare well in this struggle, and may God bless you in the coming fight.
    Farewell, and if God wills it, we shall see each other soon.
    "
    Oppius walks out of the Senate House, his servants standing ready outside.
    "We shall go to the harbor, make haste!"
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

ooc: Lord Staton, no one might have told you this, but firstly at this time, no one has personal legions, and secondly, no weapons are allowed in the Curia, a rule both historical and used here.

Marcus Appuleius sighs and thinks over his decision to stay. True, he thinks. The Emperor could use a man like me, though personally, I believe my duty is still to guard the Sacred City. After a while, he gets up once again to speak:

After hard thought, I believe I shall travel to Ravenna to join our esteemed Emperor. Our forces are not as great as I thought they would be, and with our present economic state, any major losses in troops would be critical. As an experienced and battle hardened general, I shall agree to help the Emperor and Empire regain their former glory. But just as a precaution, if any rash decisions or choices are made, my regret of leaving Rome will be shown!

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

And so it is done.
    The emperor has abandoned the eternal city and left it and its citizens to the hands of the hordes.
    Only a small handful of senators remain who wish to rather die fighting for what they believe than to run at the first sign of trouble.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Senators, it is here I shall take my leave and flee south. Upon my return we shall restore Rome to her former glory. I hope to see all of you gathered here shortly.

Caius strides out of the room and is met by personal bodyguards on the street. He opens a trunk on his cart and nods then the company mounts and they ride off.

A messanger arrives, bearing a letter for all Senators who had not left.

Hail my fellow Senators,

I am writing from my domus outside of Rome. I have heard of the Visigoth threat near our beloved city, and I am fearful for your safety. I have to suggestions. Those who wish to stay near Rome during the upcoming battle (which appears will occur soon) may come stay at my domus. My second suggestions is that the Senate should move somewhere outside the reach of these Visigoths. I would suggest Carthage. It may not be Rome, but it will fill our needs until we have the opportunity to retake Rome. I myself have a villa on the outskirts of Carthage, and may sail there should the Visigoths continue their march through Italy.

Regards,
    Tertius Julius Ursus

Indefinitely Banned

ooc: Lord Staton, no one might have told you this, but firstly at this time, no one has personal legions, and secondly, no weapons are allowed in the Curia, a rule both historical and used here.
    OOC: Well, I edited the personal Legion part. Also, I dont think anybody would really care when the Curia is half empty and threatened by Goths. But, if it helps you sleep at night, they arent armed anymore. And back to the Private Legion, I know that many land owners had private guards so thats my explanation. And winter, sorry, i know its OOC but i wanted to reply to it on thread i found it at.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Marcus Appuleius stands at the entrance to the Senate Hall, gazing out at the Forum Romanum and sighing. It was going to be hard to leave the city, to see it destroyed, pillaged, looted, and razed to the ground by barbarians. Seeing Marcus Labienus still sitting quietly in the Senate seats, Appuleius says to him:

Marcus Labienus, my good friend. I admire your fortitude in staying in Rome to defend its last moments. Much as my heart would like to stay, I realised the Empire is at stake here, and men of my calibre will be needed to uphold it, maintain it and keep it running in the many years to come. I'm not trying to to convince you to come with me, that is your decision to make. But I will tell you that I have always looked upon your steadfastness with admiration and deep understanding, and therefore I wish you the best of luck in making the largest dent in the barbarian hordes as you can, and that hopefully you shall somehow survive the conflict. But for now, farewell, and I hope, that we will meet once again, on the other side of dawn.....

With sadness in his steps, Marcus Appuleius walks solemnly out of the Curia to his house to pack.

Manius Vitruvius stands in a rage...

I am not leaving! My family has lived here for GENERATIONS!

Manius storms out of the Curia

(OOC: Since everyone has left can I take control of Rome's garrison? Preferably before you end turn? I will only use them if the Visigoths indeed besiege Rome.)
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

OOC: Nope, since Rome is now officially lost.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Rome has been sacked, and the Curia Ivlia is lost to the Goths. This thread remains closed until Rome is retaken.

Manius walks the walls of Rome

"Fools!" he mutters, "Cowards!"

The garrison had left Rome, "On the orders of the Emperor," they had said.

Manius gazes over the walls, he sees armour as far as the horizon extends. The ground trembles as thousands upon thousands of Visigoths march to Rome; it wouldn’t be long now. “How far we’ve come,” he muses to himself, “Since the time of Brennus, how far we’ve come that a man can sack Rome and it mean nothing. Vae Victis indeed, Vae Victis indeed…”

Manius across the streets, men, women and children run in all directions, he shouts "Come with me! For God's sake come with me! Grab whatever weapon you can find!"

At first the citizens were confused, but they ran with him soon there was a mass of people running with him. Finally Manius reaches the bowels of Rome. Most men curse the numerous confusing roads of the ghetto at this moment Manius says a thanks to god. He reaches a small Cul de’ Sac surrounded by large homes. Only one road leads into it.

Manius shouts, women and children into the homes! Men grab anything you can find to block that road!"
    Soon the one road leading out is piled high with furniture, masonry even produce and dead animal from the butcher shops. Every man that can be armed is armed with a variety of knives, daggers and stabbing implements. In the homes the women and children number in the thousands, they are crammed in standing room only, but any protection is good protection.

Every so often more civilians find their way to the makeshift fortress; they climb over the large barricade. Manius is pleased to see that only a few can do so at a time, this means that the heavily armoured Visigoths will find it very difficult.

Suddenly there is an earth shattering silence, Manius instinctively feels that the gates have been breached soon screams can be heard; at first they are faint. Then they grow more numerous. Night comes and terrified and dying screams filled the air.

Manius looks through a small hole in the barricade, he sees torchlight. He whispers "Stand Ready,"
    _________

Marcus Labienus Africanus, Gaius Octavius Ulpianus and Turnus Rutulus Saevus walk quietly through the forests with their men; they had left Africanus' Domus some time ago and have been carefully avoiding Gothic patrols since then. They see an entrance into the city, guarded by a group of soldiers.

Upon closer inspection they realize they are mere boys, Gaius Octavius takes his coin and walks calmly to the Gothic soldiers. They startle and begin to call out to their comrades; Gaius shushes them and takes out some coin. "We just want access to the city," Gaius smiles, "I've left some of my wife's jewelry, I'd rather face every one of you than her wrath." The Gothic men chuckle and accept the coin without complaint. Octavius and Labienus make their way into the depths of Rome.
    _______

After Manius told the armed citizens to get ready the torches came closer and closer, soon he could make out six Visigoths heavily armoured laughing, they had noticed the barricade and were walking towards them. Suddenly muffled screams are heard, the clanging of metal on metal and the yelps of men dying.

"Ready!" Manius yells, the men group together weapons drawn, with the exception of Manius none of them had armour, but all had the same determined look to defend their homes.

"Ave! Vitruvius, that you?" a voice shouts from the other side of the barricade.

Startled Manius answers, "It is I, who are you!?"

"It is Marcus, Gaius and Saevus, we've got men and citizens with us... let us over."

Vitruvius smiles, "Of course!"

The ragtag militia helps them over, with them were even more people, Manius armed as many of them as he could.

Marcus chuckles, “I’ve seen a lot of armies in my time, but this has to be the dirtiest.”

The men look about themselves and start laughing, they were absolutely filthy, the tension was noticeably lifted.

The night was uneventful, even the screams died down, thankfully.

Manius startles awake, Marcus was kicking him, he puts his lips to his mouth, "Goths," he whispers. Manius looks through the hole and sees a very large group of men, though the streets limit them to three abreast, there were at least 80 of them.

"Oh my god!" Manius whispers to himself, then shouts, “Get ready!

The militia readies itself; all four senators took to the front of the line. There is a clink of armour as the first man climbs over the barricade, his head appears and he gasps in surprise. Saevus growls fiercely and jumps high enough to grab the Goth by his armour, the man screams as he falls on his back. Seavus stabs him repeatedly til his scream dies in a gurgle.

Suddenly there's a large clamor as more Goths climb the obstruction, one appears, then 2, then 4, then 8 all hop down. The senators fight fiercely, screaming in bloodlust and rage as they go. Marcus takes a Goth's shield for himself and uses it to bash the enemy's face in. Soon, however they cannot contend with the numbers.

“Retreat! “Vitruvius calls, “Tight formation!”

They retreat into a tighter formation. They fight like the Greeks of old, using stolen shields to deflect the enemy's charge. Gaius screams in absolute pleasure as he manages to slice a Visigoth's leg off, afterwards stabbing in between his armour with a sickening squelch. Manius trades blows with a giant of a man, a citizen helps subdue him by throwing a meat cleaver at his face. Blood sprays as the cleaver firmly embeds itself into his skull. Manius finishes him off with a quick stab. Despite their efforts the onslaught continues.

“Steady!” Manius screams, “Steady men!”

Labienus is the fiercest of them all, classically trained he uses his shield to deflect his opponent's sword up and against his face and uses his gladii to stab his kidney, it is extremely effective. He manages to lay five men in a minute.

“Hold the line! We can do it!” Manius yells with glee, we are winning!

Soon the fighting is over and they have won. 80 Visigoths lay dead. The ragtag militia has suffered some casualties, but is relatively unscathed. Gaius had been stabbed in the leg, but he would live. Every man there is covered in blood. They stack the dead on top of the barricade. Two days go by and not a single Visigoth dares to cross the embankment. Saevus who knows the language of the Visigoths says that they are very afraid; they believe that demons have cursed the barricade, so many dead lie there.

A week passes and the group no longer has a choice, they must find food and water. They take down the barricade soon they are in the main districts of Rome, the Visigoths have gone and in their place they have left death and destruction. The dead liter the streets, women and children walk with vacant lost looks on their eyes. The Senators leave the group and come across the Romanum Forum, it is completely destroyed, the treasury sacked, the Curia is still burning, all four men have tears in their eyes at the sight of the destruction of the Heart and Soul of Rome.
    Last edited by Grandis Latro; August 07, 2008 at 06:39 AM.
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Curia will now be reopened for any senator brave enough to try to make his way back to Rome. realize that the Emperor has not reconsecrated the Curia and it in fact now stands in ruins, so little official can be done here until the Emperor finally says so...

Indefinitely Banned

Bran rides into Rome, and takes one look at the ruined Curia. He decides not to return until it is repaired and re-consecrated. He rides off towards the ship that will take him to Carthago Nova.

Staring at the bricks of the curia, Turnus swore. This was hallowed ground, it need not a single man to consecrate it, even if that man is the emperor. The marble floors were still there, and as long as the foundation remained, everything can be rebuilt. Placing a brick gingerly on the ground, Turnus quoted Vergil

Tanta molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

Then again, it wasn't meant to be easy.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

A tired messenger arrives through the great bronze doors of the curia - rebuilt in the latest style by Diocletian almost a hundred years ago - and paces the tiled floor uneasily. Some few Senators drift near him still tired and worn out from the sack of the Eternal City and then he unrolls a parchment to read it out -

Flavius Claudius Decimus Augustus

to the Senators and Founding Fathers of Rome, the Eternal City, in the eleven hundred and sixty third year ab urbe condita,

Greetings

Over a thousand years have passed and although Rome has fallen before as it has fallen now still her empire and her name encompasses the civilized world.

Know that I, Augustus, by the will of the army and the people, shall summon the Senators again to this curia and knit anew the fallen rods of the ancient Roman way. Do not despair for what has humbled us only makes us stronger for that is ever the Roman way. Not Cannae, not Adrianople and not this Alaric will ever break us.

This is my pledge.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Tiberius comes walking through and sees Turnus

O di immortales! Oh the heavens Rome is in worse shape then even I thought

Noli nothis permittere te terere Senator Turnus

Don't let the bastards wear you down

We are Romans and this will be rebuilt it will take many of us many mounths to do this but it will be done.

Messenger send this back to the emperor

Tarditas et procrastinatio odiosa est
    - Delay and procrastination is hateful.

Also hed this Silent enim leges inter arma dont let this be true
    Laws are silent in times of war.
    Last edited by Captain Blackadder; August 17, 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added more translation
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

The messenger nods and departs, committing to memory the Senator's words.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: No latin sentences without a translation please.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast