Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna) - *IBFD*

Default Re: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna)

Marcianus, in his mind, hits himself in the head...

Tiberius Iulianus Constantinus Marcianus brother of Prefect Gaius Iulianus Constantinus former legate of the 1st Maximia legion of the east! HAIL THE GLORIUS IMPERATOR OF THE WEST CLAUDIUS DECIMUS!

Marcianus goes into a sudden salute he then sits.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Salve Marcianus,
    You move from the utterly informal to the extreme of devotio! I admire your dexterity. May it manifest itself equally well in battle with the barbarians! Relax and sit with me here beneath the tapestries so we can talk awhile among our friends. As my Comes Officiorum has rightly pointed out, we war across the imperium and with good effect. But we welcome your thoughts and advice in these perilous times. May my slaves pour you some falernian wine while we talk?

Marcianus walks stiffly over to the Emperor...

Why....yes Imperator sir!

"By the gods to formal!" Marcianus thought...

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Having received the Dominus' response, Senator Castus rises with his simple helm held underarm and with his hand on his hilt;

Dominus,

I am humbled beyond description at the Imperator's praises and welcome.

I will accept the post given me, and start my travel back to Hispania.

As I depart one peninsula rife with troubles for yet another, and with no notable wisdom I can attribute to myself alone, I can not help but to quote the Apostle Paul to our ancestors in the Letter to Rome:

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

Thus, upon this spatha, the metaphor from Paul of the Word of God, I swear that I will again do my duty to Rome and together our tribulations will bring Glory to Rome again.

With these words I depart Italy and Ravenna; I do not intent to return to the capitol of the Empire until Rome is restored. That the noble Imperator can accomplish this I have utmost faith and will continue to pray with my family for said restoration.

Having completed his speech, Castus bows slightly, backing towards the door before, being a safe distance from his Imperial highness, turns and strides with purpose to his horse, whereupon he and his brothers, in their military attire, set out from Ravenna.
    Last edited by Samuel Adams; August 08, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ave the Augustus!

I have already reached the Roman army of Italy, and am now set to move out on our pincer move. The Italian army has an overwhelming amound ot cavalry, though by tradition, we Romans are used to having infantry armies. However, I shall make do with what has been given to me. I have received notification that the Illyrian Legions have reached almost reached the coast, so I believe a fleet should be sent to pick them up. Then the destruction of the Goths may begin.

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus

Salve Marcus,

The cavalry are guested to you from my imperial stables in Ravenna and Mediolanum. Use them well for surprise attacks, harassment and flanking moves.

The Illyrian legions are indeed close to the Dalmatian coast and galleys have been prepared to sail from Italy and rendezvous with them. Expect a landing in full force soon but time will have to pay the ferryman.

These legions are tough frontier battalions but lack good cavalry so we operate together with you in one column and myself with them in another. I may request the cavalry to come to my aid as the situation dictates.

I am informed that Alaric may vacate Rome and march his tribe of brigands into the north for fresh plunder and victories. Be prepared. Look to the plains of the Po river and Mediolanum as your field of operations and do not be afraid of seeking protection behind the stout walls of our cities should the Illyrians be too far away.

All the gods be with you and may we soon meet across a field of Gothic corpses!

Decimus, Augustus

May I speak Imperator!?

Rome is not so important as securing our borders. My brother currently resides as Prefect of Gaul he tells me that Gaul is controlled by warlords. They are former followers of the Usurper. We must destroy them.

Patience, my friend. All in its rightful time.

Oppius stares at one of the many fine tapestries adorning the walls of the conference room. He is pre-occupied by the tasks set upon him by the Dominus.
    "That man trusts me greatly, but this situation works entirely against me, few agents, many threats and no money for new agents. But I will not fail him, honour demands it, I have already given too much away by leaving Rome."
    Some intuition tells him that someone is looking at him, turning around he sees the three agents he sent to Carthage. He motions to them to come forward.
    Without a word they walk forward and their leader hands over the message. After Oppius takes it they move away, but still ready should the Comes need them.

Oppius quickly reads the response and considers it. He turns to the Dominus.
    "Dominus, I have here the response from the Comes of Africae, they would very much appreciate support from one of my agents.
    I would suggest one of the envoys, that he may travel towards the Berbers and perhaps negotiate peace. If he could make it clear that it is in their interests with the rising Vandal threat, they might be brought to a peace treaty.
    The areani would best be kept here.
    What are your thoughts on this?"
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A message arrives bearing the seal of Titus Aurelius Constantinus Felix

Ave Dominus,

The war in Gaul goes well. Things are moving on schedule and soon the seige of Narbo will be into it's second week. However, I must make a request of you Augustus.

I am in great need of an agent to infiltrate the rebel lands to the north. I do not wish to walk into a trap, and therefore I greatly request that you have the Comes Officinorum dispatch a spy to Gaul at the earliest possible convenience.

I humbly thank you Augustus for considering my request.

Magister Equitum T. Au. Constantinus Felix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Indefinitely Banned

ooc:spain already have a spy

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: and I'm in gaul...

Indefinitely Banned

ooc:but i thought you were fighting the vandals?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Nope I'm fighting the Constantinii

A Man of slight familiarity is seen walking into the council halls, as another man, obviously his servant, walks up and hands a letter to the Emperor's aide.

Imperator,

I have enlisted the aid of my brother Lucilius to return to Ravenna and act as my agent, to keep me informed of the happenings at the capitol.

I have arrived in Hispania, and wish for any intelligence regarding the current Spanish situation, as my personal means are exhausted. The Vandals see no fit to pay gold for my wine when they could just take it. Renegade Roman soldiers are no better.

I wish to send my wife and infant son to Illyria if a Senator will take them in until this Iberian Crisis is over.

I am remaining quietly at my estate observing Vandal movement outside Corduba until I receive further directives.

Sincerely,

Marcus Hortensius Castus

Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

Indefinitely Banned

A heavily cloaked rider thunders through Ravenna. He finally reaches the Imperial Palace and storms in. He presents a letter marked with the seal of Rhi Corrigan.

I went first to Carthago Nova. We were under heavy siege. There were many horse archers and only a few foot archers and peasant levies. I felt like we could beat them. I was not disappointed.

Beautifully created illustrations followed. Any words were in calligraphy.

Their numbers were large, but we would hit them all out.

We beat them back. I dont know how it happened. But we did, and Carthago Nova is saved.

The letter finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OOC: Guys sorry im cleaning up my photobucket and the pictures arent showing. truly sorry, I hope it doesnt make a difference.
    Last edited by Lord Stanton; August 16, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Marcus stood as the battle was fought. He had not anticipated the imminence of the battle. As he and his brother watched the battle unfold, unseen from such a distance, he could not help but wonder at the happenings.

"It is happening!" Marcus exclaimed. "We are beating them!"

"They, Marcus, haha... They. Not us."

"Yes. They. Very good. Let us ride into the town. By the time we arrive we shall be well within the victorious right."

"They."

"Yes. They. Shut it!"

"Yes, Marcus..."

The wine had proved to flow too freely that afternoon...

The emperor assembles all the palace notaries and senators, along with the guard's officers and eunuchs. He holds up the carefully composed letter from Corrigan and stabs a pugio deep into a map of Hispania.

This is better than expected news! Our armies are triumphant in Hispania and Gaul. Together my Magisters and Comites have repulsed barbarians and usurpers under the banners and standards of Imperial Rome! Now that we have a secure base in both these areas we may begin expanding and re-asserting true Roman authority as is our right.

Now all that remains is the most pressing of all our troubles - the Visigoths here in Italy under Alaric. These we cannot annihilate until our forces are strong enough to face them in open battle - and it will take time to ship our legions over from Illyria to support the Magister here.

Let us then rejoice in these victories as omens of what is to come and prepare ourselves for a return to Rome!

ooc: any idea on losses?

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    ooc: any idea on losses?
    ooc: Don't get any
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Dominus, what is the situation in Hispania like at this moment? As far as I know, two major cities were under siege, what happened to the second?
    Also, does the Magister have an idea on what the remaining forces are, and what he will need for reinforcements or what he can spare for the other regions?
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.