Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Release: Basileia ton Romaion submod for SS6.1 v1.0

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Preview: Basileia ton Romaion submod for SS6.1

Yes they will stuck with the pre 1453 units!
    The high era units will be upgraded Pronoiarii and Alamani(german foot knights)!
    We started this roster to show how realy was the last medieval Roman armies (let's say as a historical paper)!
    We can not be sure what it would happen if Romans would survived after 1453(they propably would relay on the multi role light cavalry units of "Stratioti" like those-Greeks and Croats-who served the Italian armies at the 15th and 16th centuries)!
    They propably continue to use the name of "Stratiotae" and "Hossarii" for such units or even "Cavalarii"!
    Those names survived for many centuries and i see no reason why wouldn't in renesance era as well!:hmmm:

But the historical fact is that we have no evidence what would happen after 1460!This roster is not suitable for mods that expands after 1500!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Something from our beta...
    Cavalarii ready for close combat!

A U's horses,Lord Calidor's weapons,DG's skins and a small modification of the shields size by CC and the result is great!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Probably a stupid question: will be this great mod compatible with perfectly polished? i really like it, but i don't want to re install all mtw...

This mod will be worthy of solo install, even if it's not compatible with any other sub mods.

Author of the ---== Knights Templar Mod ==---
    Creator of the ---== Lord Calidor's Weapon Pack 1 ==---
    Member of the ---== Dominion of the Sword ==--- and ---== C.B.U.R.P ==---

In our submod we add some "byzantine"quotes to show the "nature" of that mysterius empire!
    The one that follows shows the main principal of the empire....

how is this mod coming along?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Progress is coming along nicely. We'll be starting the next (and hopefully final) stage of our beta very shortly.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

HOORAY! Cant wait

Favorite Goalies

trying...to....be....patient...EEEEEEEE >.<

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Yes they will stuck with the pre 1453 units!
    The high era units will be upgraded Pronoiarii and Alamani(german foot knights)!
    We started this roster to show how realy was the last medieval Roman armies (let's say as a historical paper)!
    We can not be sure what it would happen if Romans would survived after 1453(they propably would relay on the multi role light cavalry units of "Stratioti" like those-Greeks and Croats-who served the Italian armies at the 15th and 16th centuries)!
    They propably continue to use the name of "Stratiotae" and "Hossarii" for such units or even "Cavalarii"!
    Those names survived for many centuries and i see no reason why wouldn't in renesance era as well!:hmmm:

But the historical fact is that we have no evidence what would happen after 1460!This roster is not suitable for mods that expands after 1500!
    Let alone that guessing/estimating what might have been ...is nearly impossible due to the geographical placement (and the influences from neighbouring cultures that this implies).

Some things would have been unavoidable though if they wanted to survive all the attempted invasions [cause there would have been plenty]... like switching to full plate armor then back to lighter versions due to the gunpowder units, etc etc...

If you are going to expand the roster into late era, its sortof a fantasy project...so u might want to think about mixing egyptian,turkish,hungarian and italian units [african/asian and european neighbours]...that fit into the whole Byzie vibe...and skin them accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by dw420 View Post
    If you are going to expand the roster into late era, its sortof a fantasy project...so u might want to think about mixing egyptian,turkish,hungarian and italian units [african/asian and european neighbours]...that fit into the whole Byzie vibe...and skin them accordingly.
    Our "paper work" is only for the realistic and historical accurate units only!
    We want players to learn via our work some real info about that mysterius empire (medieval romans were)that influenced even to the end of it,the world!
    We could easily create byz knights with german or italian full plate armors or mounted handgunners but that would may be joyfull for play but it would also confused the players about what was real and what was not!

glad to hear that...would be really hard keeping it balanced and it would be inaccurate by default.

Looking forward to a "public" beta...

Our final inhouse beta has started!
    Stay tuned for news!

Learn via playing!Some minor examples are the original names of medeival roman armors(kavadion=padded and leather and Loricion=chain mail)!

looks very promising ,
    i also like the way how you guys are working on this, in a very proffesional way.

When ready i will try it for sure!

cheerio

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Somehow i don't like the faction ico on the first page... the logo inside looks too sharpen for my taste.
    This is my proposal:

thdot44's Avatar Tiro

looks amazing can not wait, too bad you cant do a marian reforms type of thing if people do play past 1500's, not completely switch units but a drastic modification.

anyways looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Somehow i don't like the faction ico on the first page... the logo inside looks too sharpen for my taste.
    This is my proposal:
    My beef is with the purple background - and the fixation with the name Roman Empire since the game starts at 1080 ...but nvm that-which should be either yellow or crimson. But i'm guessing that was sacrificed in vanilla for an easier campaign map reading...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The [most distinct] Byzantine Empire Flag:

The [most distinct] Byzantine War Flag:

some Byzantine banners and flags...:

Top Row: used by Konstantine the Great & Ioustinianus [1st is army - 2nd is navy]
    Middle Row: 1st & 2nd used by Theodosius the Great (est. around 395 AD), 3rd used by Nikiforos Fokas
    Bottom Row: used by the Palaiologean family

Established by Isaak Komninos (1057-1059 AD) :

Byzantium flag around 1204 AD:
    Established by Konstantine Palaiologos

Established by Michail Palaiologos

Byzantine Flag after the fall of Constantinople (1464 AD) :

Random Byzie Banners [i got no clue for dates etc] :

[rant]
    i just fail to see where the -mood breaking when its on every units texture (damn you vanilla MTW2) - purple comes in....since this is Byzantium there should be yellow/red/crimson everywhere...and not purple, a colour its mother faction the Roman Empire bared on its banners and flags.
    ...i know its sad but thats the main reason i dont play byzie campaigns..that purple just kills it for me since its everywhere.
    [/rant]

You cant have it all i guess
    Last edited by dw420; September 01, 2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: used spoiler tags to reduce post length to a reasonable size

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    It looks fine in the game :

Quote Originally Posted by dw420 View Post
    My beef is with the purple background - and the fixation with the name Roman Empire since the game starts at 1080 ...but nvm that-
    The "Byzantines" (a fictional name made up by historians to distinguish the later Roman empire) called themselves Romaioi (i.e. Romans) right up until the empire cease to exist in 1453. Therefore the most accurate faction name for them is the Basileia ton Romaion (Empire of the Romans). If we seem to have a fixation with the name, as you put it, it is only because we are fixated with historical accuracy
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; September 01, 2008 at 08:20 AM.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Let's clarify once and for all what all those banners and flags/symbols mean...
    There were 3 types of banners for the Romans espesialy the medeival ones!
    The 1st was the banner/flag of the Empire that had only the Crist's insignia known as Labarum(the one we use as faction symbol)...
    That flag NEVER changed becouse of the m.Romans beleif that the insignia was given to emperor Konstantine the Great by a mirrical!
    The banner ment actually thet the empire was "property" of the God itself!
    The 2nd type of banners were the personal insignia(coat of arms)of every Emperor...Since the death of Bassil II Boulgarslayer that "insignia" was the same more or less based on the clasical Aquilla!Eagles with 2 heads and Crosses became to replace Aquilla after 1025 and ment that the Emperor was present!
    The 3rd type of banners (like those dw420 posted) were the army's ones!
    The army had a varity of flags and banners via all those centuries...
    The state(Empire)NEVER changed iit's own flag but the church did!
    For centuries the orthodox church holded the "imperial eagle" not as the empire's banner but as a mark that some day a new ROMAN EMPEROR will take back his banner and his scepter and afcourse the empire,back!
    Church didn't have the right to use the symbol we use as faction one becouse Mohamed II the qonqueror claimed that his empire was the SUCCESOR of the empire of RUM..If the orthododx church continued to use the original flag it would be accused for conspirresy against the sultans...

There was an other type of flags/banners...
    After the fall of CONSTANTINOPLE all the roman aristocratic/millitary tradotioned famillies adopted coat of arms for each one!
    Famillies like Cantacousinos(Lion),Lascaris(eagle and striped)or Palaiologeans(eagle)adopted the western habit and took their own familly coat of arms as their personal imperial insignias!

The last banner/flags type was the 4B's and the saints ones!
    4B's banners were bassed on the 2nd title of the Emperor and they ment that everything was under those banners(cities,ambassadors,ships etc...)was "property"of the Basileu him self and should be treated with respect!For example:Navy in peace time used the blue cross with 4B's on white background but when navy was on war mission used the banners/icons of the 2(two)Saints with the name Theodoros and becouse they were 2 called Agioi Theodoroi!!!
    And we come to the last type of banners:The Saints!!!!!
    In short summary...Mother of God was the protector of all armed forces as "Hypermachos Strategos"(Supremem general)...
    Agioi Theodoroi were the protectors of the navy...
    Saint Demetrius was the protector of the City of Thessalonike(still is)and the Dux had a banner bassed on the holly image of him!

I hope i was helpfull enough...