Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide & Problem Thread

Default Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide & Problem Thread

This mod is designed for use with Kingdoms patched to 1.5.

***We strongly suggest not installing this over your previous version 2.2. You should prepare a fresh install of Version 3***

The current open Beta version requires an unpacked copy of the british_isles folder remamed kingdomofthescots to install over.

A future version will be available as a full download.

Procedure:

Unpack the british_isles folder.

The british_isles folder is usually found in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods.

To save disk space and preserve a packed version of the british_isles folder you should first make a back up copy before unpacking. Then you can unpack the original british_isles folder using the unpacker tool found in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War \tools.

If you are using Vista there are certain unpacking issues that are discussed here and here. Neither the Reiver or I have Vista so we can be of little practical help but this has been discussed elsewhere in detail (or you could upgrade to XP!)

Run the unpack_britannia.bat file and once unpacking is completed rename the british_isles folder “kingdomofthescots”. You can then restore your original packed Britannia files from the back up copy of the british_isles folder.

If you have already unpacked your Britannia files simply copy the british_isles folder and rename it kingdomofthescots.

2. You will then need to open the new kingdomofthescots\data folder and delete the following files:

descr_geography_new db and descr_geography_new.txt

3. Download and run the Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Beta Installer.

The target directory is set to C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\kingdomofthescots. Change this if your installation is different. Apply any patches as detailed in the download thread (foot of first post).

4. If you have not unpacked your main MTW2 data folder you will need to add two folders to it. Inside the
    kingdomofthescots folder are two zip files.
    Extract text.zip and ui.zip and copy/paste both the text and the ui folder into your
    Medieval II Total War\data folder. This will not affect your vanilla MTW2 game.

5. Launch the game from the desktop icon. Enjoy!

If you are sure you have followed these instructions and have any problems please post them below.

When reporting installation problems please specify your OS and whether or not your MTW2 files have been unpacked.

UPDATE: Gigantus has created an unpacking tool that performs steps 1 & 2. If you choose to use it proceed from step 3 onwards. This tool unpacks Britannia and creates the kingdomofthescots folder with the geography files deleted. The tool can be downloaded here.
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 25, 2009 at 11:28 PM.

romy's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide, Questions & Problems

does it work with the 1.4 version?

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide, Questions & Problems

Quote Originally Posted by romy View Post
    does it work with the 1.4 version?
    Yes Romy it will be no problems at all, in fact the 1.5 Patch changed very little with the british_isles campaign.

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide & Problem Thread

soz i have language diffucities i couldnt understand how to restore the original british isle file back to the un packed file how do you do it sorry for the question

Default Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide & Problem Thread

Make a copy of the original packed version of the british isles in the .../mods folder.
    There should then be two folders one called "copyofbritish_isles" or something like that and the original "british_isles".
    You can then go to the unpacker and run unpack_britannia and it will unpack the original.
    Rename the unpacked folder as "kingdomofthescots" and rename the copy to its original name

Thats just a basic run through from memory since I don't have the game on this computer. Some of the names and locations might be off slightly.

okies thanx for telling i

Default Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Things still to be added.

lol duno what a ctd is but i duno if its just my mod but theirs no words when i esc in the campain map and its diffacult to save but how stil an amazing mod woooooooooo

Default Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Things still to be added.

Did you put the text folder and the ui folder into your MTW2/data folder?

Icon5 Re: Kingdom of the Scots 3 - Installation Guide & Problem Thread

the ui and text files are in the kingdomofthescots mod data.

Its just the pause in the campain map and the text for the buildings and units that isnt their and for custom battle theirs just 1 unit for each:hmmm:

4. If you have not unpacked your main MTW2 data folder you will need to add two folders to it. Inside the kingdomofthescots folder are two zip files.
    Extract text.zip and ui.zip and copy/paste both the text and the ui folder into your Medieval II Total War\data folder. This will not affect your vanilla MTW2 game.
    Open the zip files text.zip and ui.zip that are in the kingdomofthescots folder.

Take the text and ui folders from the zip files and put them in your Medieval II Total War\data folder.

Only do this if you have not unpacked your main game. If these folders are already in the Medieval II Total War\data folder then your game is unpacked and you do not need them.

The kingdomofthescots\data folder already has text and ui folders installed. Leave these alone as they are different from the ones you put in the Medieval II Total War\data folder.
    Last edited by The Bruce; August 01, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

I am not sure what is going on with custom battles but if you select Period = All on the "Choose Conditions" screen (underneath Difficulty) then all factions and all units are available.

ive tried and no luck i did unpack the brittania mod 1st should i just uninstal and restal it all but dont unpack it
    sorry for being a nuscence if i am
    Last edited by DragonsWarrior; August 02, 2008 at 04:57 AM.

romy's Avatar Semisalis

ok thanks for the reply!

it works woooooooooooooooooo nice brucie n nice 1 rover

Ok the first bugs. So in my clan macleod campaign i realized some things:

1.) Norway has german accents
    2.) Kinda annoying how i cant recruit highland nobles without them becoming generals. Sure i like them for bodyguards but i would also like to have some in my army
    3.) Sometimes the soilders will run stop and start running again for no reason.

So far this is it bug wise

also it appears i cant construct a citadel or recruit feudal knights...
    Last edited by The Bruce; August 02, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Favorite Goalies

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Meister Sibrand View Post
    Ok the first bugs. So in my clan macleod campaign i realized some things:

1.) Norway has german accents
    2.) Kinda annoying how i cant recruit highland nobles without them becoming generals. Sure i like them for bodyguards but i would also like to have some in my army
    3.) Sometimes the soilders will run stop and start running again for no reason.

So far this is it bug wise

also it appears i cant construct a citadel or recruit feudal knights...
    This is good feedback:

1. With number one I gave them German accents because I couldn't stand them talking with Russian accents.
    2. Now this is a bugger and an oversight, I'll fix this and upload a patch in the next few days.
    3. Did number 3 involve battles with torches?

Here's how the hidden resources I added with in reference to citadels not being able to be made:

;KOTS Hidden Resources
    ;wallace = highland units only
    ;dunbar = lowland units only
    ;berwick = border horse only
    ;nelson = dockyards and naval drydocks upgrades only
    ;constantinople = limits the building of citadels
    ;ettrick = scots guard only (borders regions only)
    ;kidnapped = Arquebusiers (lowland regions only)
    ;troy = stone walls upgrades only
    ;germania = tuetonic knights (not avail in this game)

Feudal Knights can't be recruited by Highland Factions, however Dismounted Feudal Knights can be....go figure?:hmmm:
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; August 03, 2008 at 03:22 AM.

when i add mailed knights it turns to highland horsemen when made

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    This is good feedback:

1. With number one I gave them German accents because I couldn't stand them talking with Russian accents.
    2. Now this is a bugger and an oversight, I'll fix this and upload a patch in the next few days.
    3. Did number 3 involve battles with torches?

Here's how the hidden resources I added with in reference to citadels not being able to be made:

;KOTS Hidden Resources
    ;wallace = highland units only
    ;dunbar = lowland units only
    ;berwick = border horse only
    ;nelson = dockyards and naval drydocks upgrades only
    ;constantinople = limits the building of citadels
    ;ettrick = scots guard only (borders regions only)
    ;kidnapped = Arquebusiers (lowland regions only)
    ;troy = stone walls upgrades only
    ;germania = tuetonic knights (not avail in this game)

Feudal Knights can't be recruited by Highland Factions, however Dismounted Feudal Knights can be....go figure?:hmmm:
    No the battle didnt. and also I meant dismounted feudal knights. so as macleod i cant have em eh? There in custom battle though.... Also could you explain it allitle better to me why i cant build a citadel. Also it appears i cant go past the level of village in any of my towns...

Favorite Goalies

It doesn't work for me. there is no descr_geography_new files in my copy file of kingdomofthescots. when i start the game, the photo appears and suddenly black screen comes with error sound

Sibrand,

Highland units can only be recruited in the highlands, feudal units can only be recruited in the lowlands and outside Scotland. If the Clans take non-highland regions they are able to recruit feudal units there.

City growth is deliberately limited in certain regions for historical accuracy. Some highland settlements are restricted to villages. If you want big cities and castles you will have to conquer regions that allow them.

One of the main features of the mod is to separate the highlands and lowlands into distinct cultural regions.

Amir,
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    When reporting installation problems please specify your OS and whether or not your MTW2 files have been unpacked.
    Sounds like a vista unpacking issue. The installation instructions provide links to threads where this is discussed. We don't have vista so we can't help you further if this is the case.
    Last edited by The Bruce; August 03, 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast