Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: [IB AAR] Spite of Severus

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

Default Re: [IB AAR] Spite of Severus

excellent, a young British Empire is in the making
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

XX: THE LAST ROMANS

bella horrida bella
    (Wars, horrid wars)
    Virgil

My stay at Tara ended abruptly when I was called into the presence of Drest. He had decided to remain in Hibernia while the new coalition stabilised, but Sennianus and Tasciovanus were causing problems in Britannia, attracting disaffected Romano-British from a wide area to strengthen their little rebel state based at Deva Victrix (Chester).

As it happened I was particularly keen to be involved in their eradication because it was Deva to which I had sent my family when the Vortigern first ostracised me. The loss of Felix had been a double blow to my plans, because he had been scheduled to retrieve them after disposing of Drest.

Drest's son-in-law Cirech had assembled a new army in Britannia and I embarked with two veteran bands of Elbharu to join him. The crossing was rough, a precursor to the winter storms that would soon be raging across Hibernia Mare. My Elbharu all looked very glad to make landfall. We were met by a courier and guide from Cirech who directed us to his line of march.

We joined Cirech near Coccium. His men looked to be in good condition: well equipped and well fed but I knew they were not yet blooded. It was an all-Pictish force including Wildmen (from Inchtuthill) and Gai Aurmahr armoured spearmen we had been training these last two years and with no mercenaries. Instead of the usual Marchan, he had a second band of Mormaers, led by Gurthin mac Morbet of the Mumainha.

The Army flowed south through autumn landscapes looking for the Roman Rebels. I learned that Tasciovanus now led the enemy, with Sennianus as his loyal lieutenant. They had a large and experienced army, thanks to the merging of their respective contingents and the influx of recruits from our recently conquered provinces.

Tasciovanus had adopted the position already held by Sennianus at Mancunium. It effectively blocked our path to Deva. If we attempted to cross the Mersia Fluvium to the West, then we would undoubtedly be caught during the crossing and defeated. If we tried to bypass him through the hills via Cambodunum to the East, then we would become vulnerable to raids and ambushes, and our supplies would almost certainly need to be diverted east of the Pennines. So there was no real alternative to a frontal attack, of the kind that had led to Drest's defeat of the previous year.

The night before the battle, our scouts returned with the enemy dispositions and the news that a wide moor lay between the armies. Cirech convened a consilium to explain his plan of battle. He would command the Right, and Gurthin the Left. I would control the Centre and the reserves which the two leaders would call on as they saw fit.

So this was to be the scene for the Final Battle, it seemed to me that it favoured the Romans greatly. I would have to be very careful to protect my Elbharu lest they be dashed to death beneath the hooves of the numerous Roman heavy cavalry.

On the morning of the battle, the Army was assembled in four lines and we trudged slowly up onto the flat top of the moor. As we reached the crest, I could suddenly see for miles. A small forest of conifers stood invitingly just a mile and a half away, but at barely half that distance stood the Roman Army arrayed for battle.

They numbered a thousand and a half mostly seasoned veterans with a large heavy cavalry contingent (five vexillations). Our mere two and a half thousand untried warriors of variable quality were going to face the greatest test of their lives this day.

I was in the first line with my four bands of Elbharu, and we trotted rapidly forward, hoping to be able to get into cross-bow range before the Romans reacted. The solid phalanx of Roman infantry stood impassively in the centre, but on the wings I soon saw movement among their Equites.

I stopped my Elbharu immediately and looked back to be sure that the advancing spear line was within reach. When I looked forward again, the enemy cavalry were a lot closer. I could see that they were Bucellari, mercenaries equipped with the full panoply of the Stablesiani.

From my position in the centre of the line, I watched in fascination as a vexillation emerged from the Roman mass and charged the left end of the Pictish line. It was incredibly to see a body of men move so quickly, surely even a stooping hawk flew no faster than these magnificent horsemen at full gallop?

I was also full of admiration for my Elbharu as they stood their ground and managed to loose a single volley before the charging Bucellari were upon them. By the favour of the Gods, the Gairlom arrived at that vital moment, and instead of riding down my archers, the Romans found themselves brought up short by Pictish spears.

I caught a fleeting glimpse of a second vexillation charging onto our right wing, but then I could spare no more attention to the flanks, for a large body of Roman infantry was coming straight at me. This time my Elbharu had time to run back through the ranks of the Gairlom after their volley before the enemy made contact.

For once in a Pictish army, we had a good number of elites. I had two bands of wildmen in the reserve, and I called them both forward to deal with the Roman foot soldiers. They were so eager for battle that they pushed many Gairlom to the ground as they shouldered their way through our tightly packed line.

The melee seemed to last an eternity. The cries of the battle crazed and the screams of the wounded combined with the crash of weapon on shield to form an unearthly music. I found myself unconsciously searching for rhythms and melodies within the randomness of the noise.

I sat on my horse among the Gairlom to encourage them, they were always the weakest of our warriors, mere levies with very little training or esprit de corps. The enemy were spear-armed Milites, so I judged myself safe from javelins and was able to watch with satisfaction as the Wildmen tore into the Roman ranks. A third vexillation of Bucellari charged into the battle already raging on the right, but I was not discouraged. I was sure that Cirech would be able to cope with them.

And then, suddenly, the Romans facing me gave way. I ordered everyone to stay in line while the Elbharu came up, but the Wildmen were too crazed to even notice my orders, let alone obey them. I watched with alarm as they ran off in pursuit of their defeated enemy toward the serried ranks of the Roman main body.

There was little else to do except support them, so I sent the Gairlom and my precious band of Gai Aurmahr running after them in the hope that something could be achieved against the Roman centre.

to be continued...
    Last edited by Juvenal; December 03, 2008 at 04:13 AM. Reason: damnable spelling mishtakes...
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Hmm, seems that this battle starts better than most of the previous ones. Though those wildmen may have overestimated themselves...
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Oh man, those Romans...

Poor fellows.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Kátz's Avatar Senator

man, no matter how many Romans the Picts kill they are still brave enough. Don't know what are they doing, Revenge for their lost comrades?

THE LAST ROMANS continued

With things temporarily calm in the centre, I was able to see the fighting on the left and right still in progress. Gurthin had the Bucellari penned in and seemed to be winning, but then I saw a fourth vexillation forming to attack. I was able to watch the entire charge as the large body of Equites swept majestically into the melee. I recognised the banner of Sennianus just before they disappeared into the dust and confusion of battle.

I began to wonder if I should send in some of the Chodoaer (our last reserve), but then I saw that Gurthin had taken his Mormaers around the left flank and was charging into the rear of Sennianus. Lacking spears, Mormaers do not have a great charge, but they certainly caused great discomfort to the Romans, more than half of whom were obliged to break off their attack to ward off Gurthin's men.

Cautiously riding up toward the fight for the centre, I found that the Wildmen had met their match. They lay in heaps in front of a still unbroken line of Roman Pedites, victims of the enemy's javelins. The Gai Aurmahr and Gairlom alone were no match for Roman swordsmen, so I called up the two remaining bands of Chodoaer to support them (Cirech having had already taken a band to help him on the right).

While the Chodoaer charged in, I was able to check on events on the wings. Cirech was still embroiled with the two vexillations of Bucellari, the fight having descended into a pushing match between the two lines. Even as I watched, Cirech's Mormaers could be seen filtering back through the ranks for some new manoeuvre.

Then, looking to the left, I saw that Sennianus had disengaged. I hoped briefly that he was going to quit the field, but instead, his Equites calmly reformed in full sight of Gurthin, who was still trying to bring some order to his hopelessly intermingled troops, and then charged into the back of my men fighting the Roman infantry in the centre.

It was more than they could bear, and the whole centre collapsed, men running for their lives with no thought of honour or the safety of their comrades. I saw Cirech sweep around the right flank and get among the Roman archers. But with my command collapsing around me, I could take no comfort in his success.

Gurthin finally got his men sorted out and they arrived to pin Sennianus again, thus allowing our routers to escape. But they were still being closely followed by Roman infantry and all I had left to stop these were my Elbharu. I told them to stand fast and galloped back to try to rally some of our fugitives.

I saw that Sennianus was pressed by Gurthin, who still had Gairlom and a few Gai Aurmahr with him. The only Roman reserve were now the Equites of Tasciovanus. I saw them start to move and briefly wondered if my horse would be able to out run them. But in fact I had nothing to fear because they turned and charged Gurthin instead. I briefly gave thanks to the Gods and got on with my efforts to persuade more panicked Picts back into the fighting line.

As the Romans closed on my position, my view of the left became obscured, but I did notice that Cirech had finished with the enemy archers in the Roman rear and was charging into what had become the “Melee of Heroes”, since it already incorporated Gurthin, Sennianus and Tasciovanus.

I found just enough Gairlom and Chodoaer to hold the main Roman thrust. A second weaker attack to the right failed quite quickly, despite facing only Elbharu. I think they were spooked by the presence of Cirech's Chodoaer behind them, still involved in a separate battle with the Bucellari on the right.

Although I was not aware at the time, Gurthin was now slain and most of his men slaughtered, only Cirech remained against the two Roman leaders. I gave what aid I could, my leftmost band of Elbharu firing directly into the melee since no Picts could still be seen (Cirech's men being mostly on the far side of it).

And then a miracle occurred. The banner of Tasciovanus could be seen leaving the battle! I am told that his decision was prompted by the death of Sennianus, but it seemed to me that the Romans just about had us beaten. But with the departure of Tasciovanus, the remaining Romans either ran off or surrendered, and our ragged remnant was able to proclaim a victory.

All that remained was to hunt down Tasciovanus and pacify his base at Deva.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Kátz's Avatar Senator

Very nice update Juvenal! sad this nearly comes to its end......... +rep!

Magnificent as always!
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Enlist in the Pictish army! Moderate chance of surviving the first two battles. Great retirement plan (we can afford it: only one of our soldiers made it to past forty)! Thank you sir for showing your patriotism, go to the next booth, you will be issued the regular uniform and your spade. To dig the graves of your comrades!

Enough of that defeatist drivel already. Splendid tale, Juvenal, as always.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Sorry I've been missing some updates, computer, didn't work properly. I was wondering If you could create some new characters. You could base them on us or use the games.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Beautiful end to a beautiful battle. Sir, you are more man than I, to play the Picts.

Game of the Fates
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.

@Mr. Cursed - I have found the Picts a challenge to play. They don't really have any answer to Roman heavy cavalry. In this final battle I had three units of mailed spearmen, but the unit-size is only 60. However, I think they did hold the Roman cavalry long enough for me to grind them down with Mormaers. The Wildmen gave me that vital bit of offensive punch - but they are a one-shot weapon and need to be protected against missiles (and cavalry charges).

@bomberboy - Nice to see you back. This story is almost over now (just the epilogue to come), but I am still thinking of writing a sequel to cover the Pictish invasion of Gaul.

@Redolegna - Please don't visit any Pictish recruiting centres, morale is delicate enough as it is. Anyway, we patch them up quite well after the battles. The scars hardly show through all those tattoos.

@Selifator - Thanks for your support. Is Rise of the Eastern Kingdom going to make a comeback?

@wr1ght - Rep, mmm, yum! Don't worry, there will be more stories soon.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Pictish invation of gaul I'll read that one!
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Nice updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    @Selifator - Thanks for your support. Is Rise of the Eastern Kingdom going to make a comeback?
    Not right now, I'm finishing off my test week, and this weekend will be a grand festival filled with long overdue (think 2 months to half a year) homework and assignments.
    But, I have been thinking about an aar. At the least, I can write the battles, and we'll see what happens after that.

I think this is a great AAR and would read a followup. Their just isnt enough IB AARs out their.

Gerald The Herald's Avatar Biarchus
    Republic of Wookieland,somewhere far away in the Galaxy

Superb update as usual! How sorrowful am I that this epic tale of betrayal, deceit, blood, anarchy, triumph and naked picts must end inevitably. Kudos to you, Maestro Juvenal .
    +Rep as you justly deserve.

No change in the balance of political parties can alter the general determination that no class should be excluded from contributing to and sharing responsibility for the state. - Gustav Stresemann

A Pict Invasion of Gaul? Keep me posted!

Game of the Fates

EPILOGUE: DEVA VICTRIX

quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    (Who will watch the watchers?)
    Juvenal

I left Cirech at the site of the battle in order to pursue the Romans. I only had a band each of Elbharu, Gairlom and Chodoaer with me, but I felt this would be sufficient to deal with the enemy fugitives, and it was vital to me that Deva be secured as soon as possible.

The Gods did not appear to favour me and I was unable to catch Tasciovanus before he reached Deva. But their attempt to close the gate against us also met with failure thanks to friends I had in the town.

Throwing caution to the wind, I trotted my small force directly to the house of Flavius Lentulus where my wife and sons were secreted. The cowardly Town Guard fled from our wrath, but just as we got to the house, Tasciovanus appeared with his bodyguard in the street ahead of us and charged.

My Elbharu got off a single volley before the Equites were upon them, then all was confusion with Elbharu, Gairlom and Chodoaer inextricably mixed with Roman horsemen.

Neither side could manoeuvre or disengage, there was scarcely even room to dodge the blows of the enemy. At first the long spatha swords of the enemy wreaked havoc amongst us, but then as their horses began to fall and they became hemmed in by the press of Pictish bodies, we gained the upper hand. I fought with my back against the house of Lentulus, trying to make my way to the entrance. I brought down an Equite right under the archway, perhaps he had been thinking of quitting the battle through the house.

And then I heard the cry of dismay from the Romans as Tasciovanus was brought down. His remaining companions spurred their horses and pushed their way out of the melee pursued by... pursued by Mormaers!

The Mormaers thundered past, Drest plainly visible in their midst. Turning to the house of Lentulus, I saw another Mormaer emerge from the gateway, it was Felix, there was no mistaking him. It would seem that I had misjudged the loyalty of my agents.

I felt a sudden coldness suffuse my whole body, and rushed into the house. All inside was a wreck. There had been fighting here, household items had been piled into a barricade at the top of the stairs from the courtyard to the upper rooms. The barricade was broken and blood and corpses now adorned it.

I mounted the stairs and found where Lentulus must have had his last stand. The bodies here had been mutilated after the Pictish fashion, but I was still able to identify my wife and sons. I hoped bleakly that they had killed some of the barbarians before they succumbed.

Coming to the central plaza of Deva, I found Drest celebrating victory. A small group of Romans who had surrendered were being paraded around the square on leashes. I wondered if any of them would be lucky enough to be sold into slavery.

Seeing me, Drest had me brought over to him. He seemed ecstatic, his eyes shining in the dusk and with a jerky energy to his movements, as if his body was somehow holding him back from the full execution of his will.

“Ah, Severus, this is indeed a fateful day. On this day I have become the undisputed High King of Britannia and Hibernia. No one in these islands can withstand me, all bow and make obeisance to my divine being.”

I said nothing, wondering which of his men standing around him had killed my sons.

“This is also a auspicious day for you my loyal Severus! Your service to me and to my Father will not go unrewarded. I shall give you that which you have always wanted. In the presence of my nobles, I hereby bestow upon you the office of Vortigern of the Britons! You will be High King of the Roman province, second only to myself. I see you already have the sword Excalibur!”

And so, there it is. I am the Vortigern, the Emperor of the Diocese of Britannia. I have everything I ever wanted, and yet I have nothing. I am vassal to the killer of my family. My plans have been thwarted by a man more cunning than myself. I have no heir and therefore no ambition.

I keep with me a set of three skulls. I let people assume they are my trophies of Vitalinus and his sons whom I had defeated. But in reality they are all I have left of my own family. I look at them every day, hoping for some inspiration that will tell me what I am to do with my life. But none comes.

I am no longer truly alive, it is merely that I have not yet died.
    Last edited by Juvenal; December 14, 2008 at 01:06 AM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!