Thread: Is it worth it?

guck's Avatar Civis

Default Is it worth it?

Is it worth playing Shogun Total War? So far I've played every other Total War game to date except that one. Also are there any MODs for it? I haven't really seen any in the forums. Thanks.
    The United States: Making the world our playground since 1775.
    :usflag:

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Is it worth it?

I say no, simply because Rome beats it in almost every way, but the Shogun fans will tell you otherwise.

Allow me to be the first to say otherwise, then.

So long as you don't mind the older graphics, then yes it's definitely worth playing STW. The game is well-balanced (aside from the Kensai & Battlefield Ninja fantasy units), the campaign soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful, the different clans all play quite differently (despite having access to the same troop types), the battle music and sounds get your blood pumping, the AI is a ruthless and cunning opponent, and the atmosphere is second to none.

Shogun is unique. You might not love it in the same way as you do Rome or Medieval 2, but there's no other game out there that's quite like it.
    Last edited by Martok; July 26, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

guck's Avatar Civis

sounds good. i might try it. do you know of any good mods for the Shogun?

I suggest not to be honest unless you have it for free or something.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

guck's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    I suggest not to be honest unless you have it for free or something.
    who are you talking to? what's the latest version? i've seen v1.12 and a WE V1.02.

Dont play shogun unless you can get it for free or already have it.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Unfortunately, Shogun wasn't very amenable to being modded. I believe there is one or two mods available for it, but I honestly have no idea what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by guck View Post
    who are you talking to? what's the latest version? i've seen v1.12 and a WE V1.02.
    If you have just the original vanilla version of Shogun, then 1.12 is the most updated version (includes the patch). If you have Shogun with the Mongol Invasion expansion pack (or Shogun Warlords Edition), then 1.02 is the most recent.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

guck's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Unfortunately, Shogun wasn't very amenable to being modded. I believe there is one or two mods available for it, but I honestly have no idea what they are.

If you have just the original vanilla version of Shogun, then 1.12 is the most updated version (includes the patch). If you have Shogun with the Mongol Invasion expansion pack (or Shogun Warlords Edition), then 1.02 is the most recent.

thanks bro.

Definitely go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Allow me to be the first to say otherwise, then.

So long as you don't mind the older graphics, then yes it's definitely worth playing STW. The game is well-balanced (aside from the Kensai & Battlefield Ninja fantasy units), the campaign soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful, the different clans all play quite differently (despite having access to the same troop types), the battle music and sounds get your blood pumping, the AI is a ruthless and cunning opponent, and the atmosphere is second to none.

Shogun is unique. You might not love it in the same way as you do Rome or Medieval 2, but there's no other game out there that's quite like it.
    What Martok said. And it sure is challenging. Both the battlefield and strategic AI do things that actually make sense, as opposed to their equivalents in RTW and MTW2. You also need to learn to make good use of your agents and plan ahead for unforseen accidents like poor harvests. Yes, some things in Shogun are plain stupid, (like those Kensai and the Battlefield Ninja), but overall the game is nothing short of intense.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers