• No

60 53.57%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

Default who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

its was a bit wasn' it
    God dam, I wish Boromir survived

Default Re: who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

no. i thought it was a good place. there werent (still arent) many games depicting medieval warfare in japan.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

yeah, but in my case, i didnt started with shogun, becouse i never liked it. i consider myself lucky that i didnt spent my time with that game.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

It was a great start and I'm rather disappointed it didn't get any sequel, since that region is indeed quite "forgotten" in most Western games (and if there are Asian ones, I probably wouldn't be able to play them).

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    yeah, but in my case, i didnt started with shogun, becouse i never liked it. i consider myself lucky that i didnt spent my time with that game.
    Shogun was the best TW game as released by CA!
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

billydilly's Avatar Senator

It was a strange but good start, and I would like a expanded Shogun 2 that included mainland China aswell.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

It was strange but. It was the era of Pirates Vs Ninjas, And CA defined clearly where they stand!
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    It was strange but. It was the era of Pirates Vs Ninjas, And CA defined clearly where they stand!
    Yep, by progressing their series to the advent of gunpowder warfare and the almost total uselessness of swords (and the constant, complete uselessness of stealth) they proved that Pirates are superior.

Otsman's Avatar Senator

it's because shogun total war was originally a board game in the late 80's (very similar to dungeons and dragons in it's layout), so they already had a blueprint to go off of

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Cool! I must raid all my local charity shops and find a copy!

A bit like the original Axis and Allies, you mean?

Moved to Medieval/Shogun:Total War General Discussion.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Rome: Total War was the first game I played.

Shogun, however, is a very fascinating time-period. I grew up playing games like Shingen the Ruler, Nobunaga's Ambition, etc. Shogun gave gamers the option to play in this time-period better than any of those previous titles.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    Here's the thing: My attitude was actually very similar to yours. I never cared one whit for ancient/medieval Japanese history....until I played Shogun. Thanks to that game, I've since become quite interested in the period (and Eastern culture in general).

Believe me when I say that by having deliberately not played the game, you've done yourself a monstrous injustice! You owe it to yourself to give it a try.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Ditto that, Martok! Shogun is saturated with atmosphere,and a special quality infused by the spirit of Bushido.

Nice to see you here, Martok.

Thanks, man.

Yeah, for me, Shogun's atmosphere and immersion simply cannot not be beat. I've never played another title that got me so completely lost in the game's world -- I really *feel* like I'm a daimyo, leading my clan to victory (or ignominious defeat, if I'm not doing so hot!).

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Shogun was good, and I certainly like the atmosphere, but it was a bit monotonous and homogeneous. All the factions were the same, they all had the same units, their cultures were almost identical, etc.

I would have to say that S:TW is the most boring TW by far.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Shogun was good, and I certainly like the atmosphere, but it was a bit monotonous and homogeneous. All the factions were the same, they all had the same units, their cultures were almost identical, etc.

I would have to say that S:TW is the most boring TW by far.
    I totally agree. Perhaps in todays standards, its not amazing, but if you think of when it was released, and that was a while ago, you can appreciate it more.

Tired of your old avatar?
    Here's lots of stuff you'll like!

http://kaiser-invictus.shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser_Invictus View Post
    I totally agree. Perhaps in todays standards, its not amazing, but if you think of when it was released, and that was a while ago, you can appreciate it more.
    That's probably true, at least in part. Shogun was that rarest of things -- a truly revolutionary game. Even though very few developers have attempted to duplicate what CA has done with the Total War series, it doesn't change the fact that STW forever altered the strategy game genre. (There's a fair few of us who still remember watching the very first teaser trailer released, and how our collective jaws all hit the floor.... )

Oh, I thought it was a lovely setting for the game. It was small enough to be comfy and easy enough to win but it also allowed for an epic feeling game. The atmosphere, the mystic that surrounds this era were rendered perfectly by the music, videos and various little nuances placed ingame. It was a great setting, nicely rendered for the common gamer and created a decent empire for the CA folks.

I recall that it was one of the first PC games I picked up and looked at in the store and I thought "wow". Finally a PC with proper battles! I never expected to be pulled so deeply.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

That's probably true, at least in part. Shogun was that rarest of things -- a truly revolutionary game. Even though very few developers have attempted to duplicate what CA has done with the Total War series, it doesn't change the fact that STW forever altered the strategy game genre. (There's a fair few of us who still remember watching the very first teaser trailer released, and how our collective jaws all hit the floo
    Combining 4X strategic gameplay with in depth-tactical management of battles. The hallmark of the Total war series.

Oh, I thought it was a lovely setting for the game. It was small enough to be comfy and easy enough to win but it also allowed for an epic feeling game. The atmosphere, the mystic that surrounds this era were rendered perfectly by the music, videos and various little nuances placed ingame. It was a great setting, nicely rendered for the common gamer and created a decent empire for the CA folks.
    Aesthetics were one of the best things about that game
    Who cares if we don't learn from History, its bloodly interesting.

Too much weird stuff happens for god not to exist

Ladies like superior firepower literally and metaphorically

England>Scotland and rest of the world, only the Welsh come even close.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast