112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 46.43%
  • No

60 53.57%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

Default Re: who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

No not a weird place to me. Actually when you think about it Japan has some advantages for beginning the series there. The country is small and contained so the scale is manageable, while there are many factions/clans they all have basicly the same culture and tech so thats a plus to.

There is alot of talk about STW2 being the next in the series... I hope not. It would be too small after the epic games they have given us. Perhaps if they included China as well.... What I really want to see is a more modern game, WWI perhaps or the American Civil War. Another interesting idea would be a full blown game based on the Mayans, Inca and Aztecs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    No not a weird place to me. Actually when you think about it Japan has some advantages for beginning the series there. The country is small and contained so the scale is manageable, while there are many factions/clans they all have basicly the same culture and tech so thats a plus to.
    Aside from these factors the armies of the timeperiod were small compared too other places and times, imho the main deciding factor was that there were no walled cities and and seige engines, two very major programming obsticles that would have too wait for the infantry engine too be properly developed.

Basicly it boils down too they needed a place and time where it was just small armies of foot and horse, no siege engines, with rigidly defined conflict borders too make production of ground breaking prototype feasible that could fit within the hardware linits of the time.

There is no other time or place in history where large organised armies took the feild that meets all these criteria nessicary too make it feasible.

If they'd of tried M2TW first none of use would be hear and no1 would be talking about TW. I mean they couldn't even right sheilds into it after what almost ten years of working with the engine.

Long story short any other historical period would have been too much for the hardware advailible and too complicated for a first time run at such a ground breaking engine.

zzzms's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Shogun Total War: Mongol Invasion if you can find a copy buy it. It has a Intro movie you won't find in any other version. All in all I must say Shogun is probably my favorite overall of the series. Not because the of 2d sprites, but because of it's feel. It was ruthless yet beautiful and I felt transported to a different time and a different place.
    The intro is from Akira Kurosawa's film 'Ran', and a damned fine film it is too!

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John Acton, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

rsslcs's Avatar Senator

I own mongol invasion, and it's great. I never new about the intro though. That's interesting.
    The battles seem so epic as well, I think that it's because of the battle fx.

Kordian's Avatar Libertus

I never played Shogun TW so i can't say any word about it...But I think East (Japan,China,Korea etc.) is very good place for that kind of game, you know, clans and home wars
    Dla moich Polaków nie ma rzeczy niemożliwych. Napoleon I (Napoleon Buonaparte, 1769 - 1821)

For my Poles there is no such thing as impossible. Napoleon I
    The great Emperor

zzzms's Avatar Semisalis

@ rsslcs, Kurosawa made quite a few epic 'samurai' films, I recommend: Ran (obviously), Kagemusha, Throne Of Blood, Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai (the last two maybe familiar!). Hope you enjoy!

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John Acton, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default The results are in....

Well there you have it folks!

The 53.57% majority (60 votes) has spoken - it was not at all strange to start the TW-series with STW! The extensive reaserch on this golden issue has now finally reached its end and results are in. On the behalf of the TWC, I thank each and every one who participated in this survey and may its findings be both useful and illuminating....

The poll has now expired and since it have, I will now close down this thread. If some of
    you want to discuss these findings - start a new one.

Thread closed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456