Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: development thread

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: development thread

Hello to Everybody, new to your threads, but deeply following the development of both STW and Mythology mods. Great compliments are due for your works ...
    ... and if I'm allowed... it’s just an idea for Mythology - Total War, and maybe you already provided for it. Mythology and epic poems are full of god’s and semi-god's participations in humans’ events influencing their outcomes.
    So…
    …what about special elite units leaded by an hero with a God favour or by a semi-god or a God himself?
    That can give special features (specific training against specific enemy) to this unit as movement or fighting speed or increased attack/defence factors or morale.
    …what about specific Leaders or Family Members with a God favour?
    That, maybe through traits and ancillaries for family’s members (Jason trained by Centaur Chiron as an example), can give highest special features to the armies leaded by them.

ayeaye Sirs

We could add this through traits , like the "hates 'faction" trait , and maybe give an ancillary wioth a pic of the god

alex map would be fine esp if you could make it go a little further west. my thinking on atlantis is that it just looks odd, as we are so familiar with the features of europe. hence if you make the coastlines a bit different then it will pull the whole thing together, yes? or we could have the crimea or santorini as possible historical locations. if you make a big map then small islands like santorini [which was bigger before volcano burst] will be viable.

you may need to move a few white dots [docks] to the edge of the land, but other than that maybe it is a relatively easy task [as far as mapping goes lols].
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

hmm .. removing some stupid white dots ain't hard , no i'll see what i can do on the map , now do we need Atlantis ? Or should i just enlarge the greek/asian area ?

good ideas margio, sorry i missed your reply earlier. this is the kind of thing i was hoping to do, but i am mainly a skinner, however me n theo will look into it.

as far as hero units go, we would have to make the mod for alex!

theo
    what do you think about that theo?

atlantis can be anything you want, we don’t have to have the west, you can just make a bigger alex map if you wish. i am not so keen on the italian factions i done anyway, if we removed them we can make many more units! [perhaps more relevant ones]

morf [extremely good modeller] will be finished with his mod soon and can help us, so maybe we can make more cool units!
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

I don’t know the map you are using, but keeping Atlantis (IMHO it must be in a Myth Mod), could be located in a larger Crete island?
    I also thought that Arabian Peninsula or somewhere in Africa could be "interesting" locations, but they should be very fertile areas too, and they are maybe too far to have a greek feeling.

Back to units… I have seen that in Announcement Thread you wrote about "quests" similar to Senate Mission possibility. If still feasible, through those quests (killing monsters and/or leaders holding special artifacts and/or special weapons as an example), when back to capital a specific building can be available that allows special units recruitment and maybe boost faction’s happiness or decrease building costs or increase income…
    Those units could have special attack and/or defense factors (speed fighting/movement, missile ranges, increase morale nearby troops, frighten enemy units, attack/defense factors,
    Examples:
    * the Bow of Ulysses for special archer units or the Club of Hercules for special clubmen infantry
    * the Golden Fleece for trade improvement
    * the search for body parts of Osiris for farming improvement
    * the Spear and Shield of Athena or the Trident of Poseidon for...

Hope useful and not tedious

ayeaye sirs

thats some interesting ideas there margio! i have learned a bit more about how we can make use of units and unit models in different ways, in short that means we can effectively have new units that look like the old ones but have a different sword or special characteristics. they can be unlocked in the EDB file by a given trigger.

i will make a hercules unit maybe by using the strat-map assassin model [as it has a club and can easily be converted].

the problem is in making single man units, they have to be generals. however he can be an officer of a unit, maybe that would look ok?

good ideas, when sparta is done i will look into these things.

you could try the same they did in LOTR-TW .. Although you have to be a pretty good moddeler to do this :

Just change an elephant model to Hercules and the rider should be invisible or inside the model or something this way you can have 1 hercules on normal settigns , but 4 on huge ..

otherwise you just make a hercules general with as less units as possible

aradan sent me a pm on how to make a single unit, problem is that archers take em out easy. however i have thought of a solution whereby i use a scorpion missile and change its model to that of an arrow. this would give me an accuracy value to add to the archers so they wouldn’t always hit.

btw you can also use a general and make the army invisible and scale the model to 0.01 then unit sapcing to 0.1, so it appears that the enemy are attacking the general [otherwise the enemy attacks a load of invisible units].

good modder! well i am good with units just not anything else, i devised a way to make centaurs [was fisrst too!].

i will look into it when stw is done.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Hello Everybody,
    glad to have been "interesting" ... The invisible units is a really great idea !
    I'm really curious to see them and their features, when they will be available to play ... as I am for STW III...!

ayeaye Sir

hi margio, myth will take a few months at least to finish off. now that i know more about units i will make new 1024 skins for the scaled giant units [normal size is 256 pixels].

if you wanna see what we have done, we will need beta testers and general helpers/idea givers etc ~ interested? if so come join the team then you can download the beta.

yep , and map still needs to be done (not tooo hard though ) , and i'm pretty busy with Sparta map and Rohan TW

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    hi margio, myth will take a few months at least to finish off. now that i know more about units i will make new 1024 skins for the scaled giant units [normal size is 256 pixels].
    if you wanna see what we have done, we will need beta testers and general helpers/idea givers etc ~ interested? if so come join the team then you can download the beta.
    Hi Quetzalcoatl, sent the request ... hope I've done everything right...
    Thanks a lot to all ...!

ayeaye Sirs
    Last edited by margio; March 01, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

... map development in process ...? !!!

ayeaye Sirs

i can help with ideas i have a very great imagination ^^

ARRIBA LA CELESTE!!

Quote Originally Posted by margio View Post
    ... map development in process ...? !!!

ayeaye Sirs
    I'm sorry , i almost have exams , so the map might be delayed :S

Actually , technically i'd say about 90% , but i keep getting a CTD with no error , that even experienced modders can't seem to solve .. But least it's already loading , till about halfway (loading bar)

After it's solved , all units have to be replaced to the correct position , wich should take about 3 days if we all work hard on it

margio's Avatar Biarchus

KingTheodenI, I'm sure and I know that you are making a great work , as all other team's people .
    No needs to be sorry ... even not a modder I know what it means in terms of time and resources ...!!!
    Again my compliments to you all for your works !!!
    Waiting for issues and outcomes ...

ayeaye Sirs

margio, i just noticed your request to join, so you are in. myth is getting going again soon and we will need as many beta testers as we can get for sparta. up until then feel free to browse the dev forum that you will now be able to see, and give ideas etc.

theo, hi

when your exams are finished i will help with what i can on the coding side and pm some people who can also help.

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    margio, i just noticed your request to join, so you are in. myth is getting going again soon and we will need as many beta testers as we can get for sparta. up until then feel free to browse the dev forum that you will now be able to see, and give ideas etc.
    Hi Quetzalcoatl and thanks!
    I had just a quick view of the dev forum and there are a lot of matters to look at .
    See you all soon there...

ayeaye Sir

@ Quetz : i can do the basic coding , after all , i am coder of Rohan : TW
    So nuless it's a really big job , you don't have to help

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast