View Poll Results: READ OP before voting! Periodicity? / Voting rights? / Divisions?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • monthly / any TWC member can vote / by games (current structure)

24 70.59%
  • monthly / any TWC member can vote / by genres

3 8.82%
  • monthly / committe members vote / by games

0 0%
  • monthly / committe members vote / by genres

2 5.88%
  • bimonthly / any TWC member can vote / by games

1 2.94%
  • bimonthly / any TWC member can vote / by genres

2 5.88%
  • bimonthly / committe members vote / by games

0 0%
  • bimonthly / committe members vote / by genres

1 2.94%
  • other structure (please specify)

1 2.94%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAR Competitions - How do you want it?

Default Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? (vote)

Two things PW:

1) People can chose which catagory they enter, it just has to fit.

2) By narrative I mean it has NOTHING to do with the campaign. For Rise of the Eastern Kingdom, does he show the map? Does he tell about building things, battles, allies and enemies? YES! Therefore, a campaign. Mollsomg's has NOTHING to do with the game the story takes place in. Instead, it is about a young kid in.....dang it what's the word? Illy...whatever. You know where it is. Anyway, it is a story that truly doesn't involve the campaign it takes place in. Rise of the Eastern Kingdom does. It is a story, but involves a campaign. Mollsomg's is a story, but doesn't involve a campaign. Get what I mean?

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

It is nice to see a reasonable turnout in the voting.

I still believe that the current method of one poll per game is best, but I think it would be better if everyone could vote more than once - say 3 votes.

The advantages of this are that we would get a better spread of votes, and less AARs with no votes at all (which I think is rather discouraging for the author). There are some AARs with no votes that I am sure a lot of people liked.

Another advantage of 3 votes is that it diminishes the effect of authors voting for their own AAR. It is much better than making the voting record public.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Having multiple votes only means someone is going to vote for everyone in each ballot. And getting tabs on who voted more than three times, tracking them down to tell us which ones they dn't want counted...argh.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    Having multiple votes only means someone is going to vote for everyone in each ballot. And getting tabs on who voted more than three times, tracking them down to tell us which ones they dn't want counted...argh.
    You can have polls where each voter has a set numbers of votes - elections for the CdeC are usually for 3 people at a time out of a longer candidate list. The poll itself only allows you to vote the number of times specified.

PS. I like commissioned themed AARs too.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

You can have polls where each voter has a set numbers of votes - elections for the CdeC are usually for 3 people at a time out of a longer candidate list. The poll itself only allows you to vote the number of times specified.
    Really? That would be great then.

Icon1 Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? (vote)

1. On genres: okay, so you could nominate your AAR by deciding how do you tag your AAR, is it a comedy, campaign or narrative, then submit it in one of the nomination threads (comedy, campaign, narrative, respectively). That's right.

But we've got still a problem:
    Who decides whether to go with by games or by genres? If the community decides, then take a look at this poll: it's 24 members in favour of "by games" and 8 members in favour of "by genres". If the CVRIA decides, you'll have to wait for months because no one seems to care... i won't repeat myself, read post #40. If I decide peremptory, and you would criticize me endlessly... sry no.

2. On multiply votes:

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    I originally wanted this , but thought you couldn't make this option available. How do you that?

3. On commissioned AARs:

Do you guys mean an AAR competition, where you give a theme, like "I conquered the world" or "The Chronicle of a Crusade" etc.?
    I support this, we could do that right now.
    Just give me ideas for themes.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 27, 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Default Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? - SUBMIT YOUR IDEAS FOR THE 2-MONTHLY THEMED COMPETITION

Please continue discussion about the Themed AAR Competition here (moved related posts).
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; August 18, 2008 at 07:14 AM.

Default Re: Themed AAR Competition - ideas and discussion

When I first saw this I thought it meant...
    What about a type of AAR competition?

like, most atmospheric

or, best pictures

or, best comedy
    e.t.c
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 30, 2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: split post

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by Caradog View Post
    When I first saw this I thought it meant...
    What about a type of AAR competition?
    like, most atmospheric
    or, best pictures
    or, best comedy
    Caradog, thanks for your input! Most atmospheric is a good idea... how about most dramatic, most funny, most elaborated as well?

-------

After a few days of deliberation and the discussion we made here, I think the fuzz's idea could be carried out - with some refinements we made. So here's my version:

1. The categories:
    a.) Campaign - report of a campaign process
    b.) Narrative - fictional story-telling based on a character or a plot, loosely based on a TW game
    c.) Comedy - pretty much clear what a comedy is.
    d.) Battle report - report of a single battle, be it open-field or siege.

2. We could give themes to each category as outlined here.

3. People can choose which category they enter, it just has to fit.
    4. Bi-monthly periods.
    5. 3 votes / voter.
    6. This would run alongside the regular monthly competition which is subdivided by games (Rome Total War / Medieval II Total War).

The problem is that if you take a look at July's nominations:
    Vote for the best RTW AAR! | Vote for the best M2TW AAR!

There are plenty of Campaign reports, a few "Narratives", very few battle reports, and 0 comedies. We need better distribution, so that appr. the same amount of AARs would be nominated in each category. That's why I'd go with the themed AAR competition instead...

Feed back.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 30, 2008 at 05:22 AM.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? - by games or by genres?

Sounds like a good plan, that. My only questions would be if each category is given its own theme or if each category is given its own, and how the themes are decided upon.

Also, could a single AAR be entered into both the regular competition, as well as the themed one?

Icon1 Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? - by games or by genres?

Quote Originally Posted by Benz282 View Post
    Sounds like a good plan, that. My only questions would be if each category is given its own theme or if each category is given its own, and how the themes are decided upon.
    We'll conduct a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Benz282 View Post
    Also, could a single AAR be entered into both the regular competition, as well as the themed one?
    Yes, why not. It will be different types of contests anyway. More opportunities to win for everyone.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Themed AAR Competition - ideas and discussion

Caradog's proposal brings to mind something else we could possibly include in the AAR competitions. Instead of just this overall award, we could have sectional awards like the Oscars have. The difficulty in this is that since it's already hard enough just to get an overall winner badge, it will be far harder to create any proper rewards for each of the different sections...

Icon1 Re: Themed AAR Competition - ideas and discussion

Well, first let's get progress with the original medal, then we can think about the next medals to come... you know it is not really up to me, i would give medals to the winners ASAP.

Default Re: I. RTW AAR of the Month - Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    Again, what's the difference between a "campaign", a "narrative" and a "historical" AAR?
    You could have an unhistorical campaign, or a narrative with no campaign (e.g character AAR). I guess a campaign would include more of a summary of events, (e.g fair bishop rhodrigo died) were as a narrative would be more personal.

How many of these genres would we be able to post our AAR in?
    I reckon the main AAR competition, and 1 genre AAR.

But it aint up to me....

Icon1 Re: I. RTW AAR of the Month - Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Caradog View Post
    You could have an unhistorical campaign, or a narrative with no campaign (e.g character AAR). I guess a campaign would include more of a summary of events, (e.g fair bishop rhodrigo died) were as a narrative would be more personal.

How many of these genres would we be able to post our AAR in?
    I reckon the main AAR competition, and 1 genre AAR.

But it aint up to me....
    Yes, you could submit your AAR in the regular monthly competition + in one genre thread. +a themed competition, maybe

Would we need to up the points needed to get the awards since there will be more chances to earn points?

Icon1 Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? - by games or by genres?

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    Would we need to up the points needed to get the awards since there will be more chances to earn points?
    Win = 6 points = instant bronze medal.
    Runner-up = 3 pts, so 2 second places earn a bronze medal.
    Third place = 2 pts, so 3 third place earn a bronz medal.
    12 points = silver, 24 points = golden.

Consider that this is a monthly competition. Compare it with the PoTW medal system, where you get a bronze medal after winning 2 PoTW contests. 1 month > 2 weeks. So if we hand out more medals each month, let's say max. 4, that's still a medal each week. But also consider, that there's much more work in an AAR, than just capturing a good screenshot and embellishing it in PhotoShop. So I don't think more medals would be unjust.

I asked about this and I have been told that you can make any new poll multi-option, but it doesn't enforce a particular number of choices - i.e. voters may only vote once, but they can tick any number of boxes in that vote.

CdeC election threads have an explanatory note explaining how many candidates you should select.

I still feel this is better than the current single-vote system.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Icon1 Re: AAR Competitions - How do you want it? (vote)

I asked about this and I have been told that you can make any new poll multi-option, but it doesn't enforce a particular number of choices - i.e. voters may only vote once, but they can tick any number of boxes in that vote.

CdeC election threads have an explanatory note explaining how many candidates you should select.

I still feel this is better than the current single-vote system.
    Juvenal, I would support the multi-vote option, if it would be enforceable, that a voter can cast only 3 votes. Because leaving just a note is not enough for some of the cheeky members, who always vote for all options...

Alright, thanks for explaining PW.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast