Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Company of Heroes

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Company of Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33 View Post
    that gave me a good laugh.

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

I installed this and played against a friend. He is rather good and I am unexperienced so he won bigtime but I enjoyed it anyway and I am looking for some people that might want to play a game or two ( and I lose badly but anyway )

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

I borrowed Opposing Fronts from a friend and i play with his account details (ssh, don't tell anyone), and imho, OF kinda sucks in comparison with the original CoH.
    I finished the campaign as the german panzer elite, and i quite liked them. But i only did a few missions as the british since i became bored with them pretty quicly. I kept playing, hoping that they might get more fun later on, but when they just kept on being boring i gave up.

So well, good thing i borrowed it before buying it!

And i would consider myself a pretty decent player in multiplayer, so i'd be up for a game sometime Longbowman. Though i don't know if i can play with you unless i remove OF (assuming you don't have it).
    One plus is that we are in the same time-zone to say the least =D

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede View Post

And i would consider myself a pretty decent player in multiplayer, so i'd be up for a game sometime Longbowman. Though i don't know if i can play with you unless i remove OF (assuming you don't have it).
    I do not have it but it is on the top of my "to get" list so I probably get it anyday now. A other problem I did not think of when I wrote the above post is I am leaving in two weeks and wont come home before the middle of August so we wont have much time. I think I play some more with my friend and buy OF but start playing really much when I come back in August.

And my friend has OF and he could play against me, I could not be the same factions he could be of course but if he wanted to he could play with the OF factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Longbowman View Post
    I do not have it but it is on the top of my "to get" list so I probably get it anyday now. A other problem I did not think of when I wrote the above post is I am leaving in two weeks and wont come home before the middle of August so we wont have much time. I think I play some more with my friend and buy OF but start playing really much when I come back in August.

And my friend has OF and he could play against me, I could not be the same factions he could be of course but if he wanted to he could play with the OF factions.
    Okay cool. Well i'm gonna be gone in two weeks too, so no gaming for me either. But well, we could play sometime soon before you leave, can't we?

Sig by Lord Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede View Post
    Okay cool. Well i'm gonna be gone in two weeks too, so no gaming for me either. But well, we could play sometime soon before you leave, can't we?
    Yeah sure, dont expect any Hannibal moves from me though

Well the next couple of days will be hard but after that we'll have at least a week to play some games.

Yeah sure, dont expect any Hannibal moves from me though

Well the next couple of days will be hard but after that we'll have at least a week to play some games.
    Hey don't worry, i'm not exactly a Rommel myself
    So what are you doing these next few days then? I've got really nothing to do so i guess i'm open most evenings.

Sig by Lord Rahl

When I am in the Company of Heroes thread I guess I ask a question. My friends plays with the British and usually builds a strong defence and then he spams mortars, priests and other artillery devices. Do you have any ideas for an counter?

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Longbowman doesn't have to buy OF to play against you. There is a patch that allows him to play against you, but he cant play as the British or Panzer Elite. Hope that helps.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

When I am in the Company of Heroes thread I guess I ask a question. My friends plays with the British and usually builds a strong defence and then he spams mortars, priests and other artillery devices. Do you have any ideas for an counter?
    Airstrikes/paratroopers/artillery seem to be the only viable options against an arti-spamming turtle, but I haven't played for quite some time and I haven't played the addon at all.
    Airstrikes/arty and paratroopers will be quite difficult to field against him because you need both a clear view of his arty to aim your airstrikes properly and your paras will be shot by his defences I assume.
    So artillery units... well, you will have to use mobile artillery, stationary or slow ones will be dead as soon as they fire their first shot. With mobile ones (i.e. German APC with rocket upgrade, US Sherman Calliope) fire only once and move somewhere else immidiately so they don't get killed by counter-fire from his arty. And remember: If you change position, always keep an erratic pattern of movement so he can't guess where you're moving (though he probably employs this tactic as well; in this case: use any means of scouting you can get so you have the advantage of knowledge).
    Last edited by Tankfriend; June 16, 2008 at 07:13 AM.

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Loved CoH, best RTS out there, but i agree with hitler, the nazi's are under powered in that game (BTW, themovie thats from, excellent film, very good i suggest anyone who has an interest in the second world war to find it...just cant quite remember the name of it)..whenever i play as the nazi's i really notice...holy crap is this entire game american propagander?
    I first thought that when i flanked one squad of of american infantry (who just had M1 rifles, not the BAR's) with two groups of volksgrenadiers who all had MP40's. The amricans lost about one or two dudes, while both my squads where killed.
    Bull crap.
    But ahwell, i got revenge when i built 6 screaming mimi's and put them ontop of a hill and continued to repeatedly bombard the allied camp.
    Muhahaha.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

@thatguy
    Perhaps u should reconsider ur statement , the germans are in no way underpowered ,especially the Panzer Elite (there only lacking in arty), they can usually outclass and destroy pretty much any attack the ally's can mount on them , with the exception of arty spam from the ally's that is.

When two of you're volksgrenadiers were killed against the American squad , perhaps u werent aware of certain factors that might have played into the grenadiers deaths , barring the obvious cover aspect, if hope u engaged them at close quaters as Rifles will always beat Submachineguns (which are really pistols with automatic fire) at long range and behind cover , wether ur squads were behind cover or not also matter when outflanking , so is the use of grenades , and there over health.

The only thing that relic changed while patching are the tactics, each patch introduces new tactics for all sides, if ur lucky they'll give ur side certain advantages that makes it obvious to play if not u'll have to search harder to find the tactics suited for u side but in the end its not a default victory for a certain team, a good player can win no matter how much a side might seem underpowered.

oh btw i play as the Panzer Elite only if you are wondering.

@savage
    As Azog 150 said, you or longbow man dont have to have both OF and CoH , if u have one u can play with each other , albeit u cant choose the fraction from the game u don't have , like if Longbowman has CoH , he cant be the British or the panzer elite , and if u have OF then u cant be the Americans and the wehrmacht but u can play together
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Loved CoH, best RTS out there, but i agree with hitler, the nazi's are under powered in that game (BTW, themovie thats from, excellent film, very good i suggest anyone who has an interest in the second world war to find it...just cant quite remember the name of it)..whenever i play as the nazi's i really notice...holy crap is this entire game american propagander?
    Its called 'Downfall', and I agree, a superb movie. Who ever it is who plays Hitler did a damn good job.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

That's Bruno Ganz; I once saw a recording of him performing Goethe's "Faust" and I swear he played the angry old Faust almost the same way he played Hitler... as I had seen "Downfall" before this already, I had quite some feeling of "Wait, isn't that....". Very good acting imho.
    Btw, funny video up there, somewhat fitting.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

my game doesnt want to let me actually play it anymore.

If i was playing as the (original)germans i would spam tanks and try to rush him. But when you are amassing your tanks, make sure you move them around and spread them out so that he doesn't get a lucky shot and kill half of them in one artillery barrage.

Also, when your tanks are done, make some nebelwerfers and try and locate a possible breach in his defenses, and bomb them into oblivion. But always remember to move your artillelry as soon as they are done firing, since if you don't, your buddy will bomb them to hell. Also, never just select all your tanks and try to move them all together. It will take two seconds for them to run into eachother and grind into a halt which will take them precious time to get out of. Split them up and assign the groups to different hotkeys for maximum mobility and control

Dunno what else i would do :hmmm: . Though i'm not very experienced with playing multiplayer, and much less so with the british and panzer elite, so someone who is would perhaps be better of giving advice.

Sig by Lord Rahl

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Perhaps u should reconsider ur statement , the germans are in no way underpowered ,especially the Panzer Elite (there only lacking in arty), they can usually outclass and destroy pretty much any attack the ally's can mount on them , with the exception of arty spam from the ally's that is.
    I wont, i odnt have the expansion so obviously my Panzer elite cant defeat anything.

When two of you're volksgrenadiers were killed against the American squad , perhaps u werent aware of certain factors that might have played into the grenadiers deaths , barring the obvious cover aspect, if hope u engaged them at close quaters as Rifles will always beat Submachineguns (which are really pistols with automatic fire) at long range and behind cover , wether ur squads were behind cover or not also matter when outflanking , so is the use of grenades , and there over health.
    My ten grenadiers where in an excellent possistion. All had MP40's,
    they had flanked the americans (8 or 6? cant remember i nan american squad) the americans where in light cover, one of my squads where in light cover, the other in no cover.
    The one in cover was about 5m from the americans, the one without about 3m.
    Rigged i tell you.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Well that would certainly disagree with my experience. Volks with MP40's are lethal at close range to American squads. I definitely don't think the game is slanted towards the Americans. The Germans get better infantry(Knights Cross and Grenadiers are awesome), get great tanks, and also can recruit support artillery whereas the Americans have to go a specific command tree to get some.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I think they should balance it out a bit, not that it's unfair, just that you can just make a load of tanks and decimate the battlefield

Tank-spamming does not work if you are facing a defensive position with lots of anti-tank weapons or if you're facing an experienced infantry player - infantry is a lot more agile and has quite some devastating AT weapons themselves (bazooka/panzerschreck, minefields, sticky bombs).
    The only thing that said player would have to be careful about is how and where to position his infantry and he can beat tanks without too many problems.