Thread: Missing unit sounds in vanilla RTRPE(guide)

Default Missing unit sounds in vanilla RTRPE(guide)

You might be aware of this, some units don`t reply back when you click them in battle. I don`t have time anymore to do such a fix, but if anyone has the time I`ll write here what needs to be done and hopefully someone will share the result with the community.

The sounds the units are missing are those when they charge/celebrate/taunt/retreat and the ones when you click them. Most units in RTRPE are coded in the right files, but others are not. The germanics for example are not iirc. The same thing for the custom units. They were written custom unit name instead of unit name custom so they have no sounds.

The files you need to add the new units in are the following:
    descr_sounds_units_celebrate
    descr_sounds_units_charge
    descr_sounds_units_taunt
    - if they have the warcry ability you need to add them for the BANK: war_cry section at the end too.
    descr_sounds_units_retreat
    They are all located in Rome - Total War\data.

In all these files the names you add are the ones from EDU(export_descr_unit in Rome - Total War\data). For example:
    Code:
    type             bactrian generals guard cavalry
    In the files mentioned above you add them to the culture you want. Romans to roman, eastern to eastern etc. Keep the general aspect you find in there.
    These files are related to the sounds the units made when they charge, celebrate etc.

In descr_sounds_units_fire(same location as above) are mentioned the slingers(otherwise they make the archer sound when the release the stones) and the javelin armed cavalry afaik. They are the only units needing to be specified by name in there. It`s easy to find which are the slingers and check if they are mentioned because they all have the slinger word in their EDU title with the exception of the roman funtidores.

The sounds the units make when you click them, i.e. saying their name more or less, are set in this file:
    export_descr_sounds_units_voice
    from
    Rome - Total War\data
    Just add them after the existing ones like this:
    Code:
    unit roman cavalry auxillia, aor italy cavalry
    Now, in this file every unit is mentioned 4 times, for the general, heavy, medium and light type of voices. These corespond to what`s in EDU for each unit. I.e.:
    Code:
    voice_type       General_1
    If you include them just for one of the four sections in export_descr_sounds_units_voice and this doesn`t match the voice_type from EDU the units will still be silent.

What will help you is to know what the actual sound files ... sound like. For this you need to unpak the files in Rome - Total War\data\sounds
    And you need the idx extractor by Vercingetorix from the downloads section, here at twc:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...?do=file&id=32
    It has a readme file iirc and it`s pretty easy to use. Once unpacked you`ll be able to play the files and choose what the units say by listening to them first.

And don`t forget to rename the file events from Rome - Total War\data\sounds or the new sounds may not appear.

Since some of the units are correctly coded in and some not, you`d need to search for them first which is a pretty time consuming job. But - and this will help - the celebrate, charge, retreat and taunt files all display the same units in a similar format. So it is easier to simple delete the units mentioned for all cultures in one of the files and then add all the names from the EDU according to what culture sounds you want them to have. After you finish with this one file you`ll be able to copy paste the lists in the other 3 files since they function similarly.

Good luck!
    Last edited by florin80; August 07, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Default Re: Missing unit sounds in vanilla RTRPE(guide)

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    And don`t forget to rename the file events from Rome - Total War\data\sounds or the new sounds may not appear.
    Thank You very much! I have done all except renaming mentioned above file - and no changes worked regardless everything else was quite correct - I checked few times. Apparently, this was a crucial condition, to rename event.dat...

Default Re: Missing unit sounds in vanilla RTRPE(guide)

Sorry to necro this thread, but did anyone ever make any progress with this or would anyone be willing to try?