Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 turns per year with proper aging

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12 turns per year with proper aging

I guess it depends what they changed. My script just tells it when to be summer and when to be winter. The climates that dont have winter textures stay summer.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Original post updated with new script versions.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

I really like the 12 turns per year you have done. I wanted this for ages but believed it not possible.

It would work very well with my supplies system. How do you suppose births, deaths & family tree member availability cope with this?
    Last edited by Byg; August 31, 2008 at 03:29 PM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Well there will be a huge impact on the family tree. You get to keep characters much longer, but on the other hand it takes much longer for a son to Come of Age.

Conisder a child born in turn 1 that comes of age at 16. 16 x 12 = 192 turns before that child comes of age, and thats if its a male. Character management becomes much more important, if you get a general killed foolishly it is a bigger hit on your empire as they are not as readily replaced. Adoption takes care of some of this, but by no means all.

I have not played a full campaign with a 12 turn system yet, but I suspect it will be a bigger impact than people first think.

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

I'm thinking about giving at go at either 4tpy or 6tpy unless I drastically change the movement points. Trying to find the median between somewhat realistic movement and aging.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Balance is always the tough part, you can get one thing working the way you want but something else is totally screwed up.

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

yea, this is true. so i guess i'm going with the lesser evil once i test it enough. run a few auto campagins.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Let me know how that works out, especially if factions start running out of generals.

First of all I want to say thank you. For king or country wouldn't be possible without this set of scripts.

Second, I implemented the 12 turns per year campaign script and the movement character traits into my mod folder. Character aging is working, the correct cycle of seasons is working and the date under the egg timer is ticking over one year per 12 turns. However, I noticed one very minor problem and I guess it's something on my end. I set the desc_strat as so:

start_date 1642 winter
    end_date 1651 winter
    timescale 0.0835

After 6 turns the overviews tab shows the date as 1643, whereas the date under the egg timer shows that it's still 1642. After 18 turns the overview tab shows the date as 1644 and the egg timer shows 1643. Is this a hardcoded issue or something I did wrong?

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; August 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Can you show me a screen shot of that?

Sure.

One other thing. Would it be possible by changing the order of the months to start in April to make the first turn of the game summer?

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I will look into the display issue.

Starting in April would really screw that up. When you first start the game your timescale counter is at 0. Its going to change years in 12 turns. If you start in April, you will have the year changing in summer instead of winter and it would screw up a couple of counters.

Ok that is strange, it does the same thing to me.

It also changes the year every 12 turns after that, so the year on the overview panel changes in July, the year on the main campaign script changes in January like it is supposed to.

If I set the start date to summer in descr_strat and change the year to July, it swaps them around. The date on the main campaign screen changes in July, and the date in the overview panel changes in Jan.

As of now I havent come up with a way to synch them up. My best guess is that the game was hardcoded in one area to a limit of 6 turns per year (RTW code) and when they added the timescale they didnt get it all removed.

I did some testing with the Date condition for events, and it seems like that condition reads the date on the campaign map, not the date on the overview panel.

If you change your descr_strat to summer and set the date to July as I did, then change it to show turns per year, then you will never see the discrepency, and the date on the overview panel will change in Jan. But then you run into the problem of the Date condition reading the date from the timescale which doesnt match the overview panel. So if you set a date of 1450 for an event, it may actually fire in 1451 depending on the summer/winter setting for the event. Irritating.

If anyone else has any ideas on this I would be glad to hear them.

I would never have caught this because I rarely if ever look at that screen. Thanks and + rep.

EDIT: I will do some testing with the 4 and 6 tpy scripts and this weekend and see if they do the same thing.
    Last edited by Amroth; August 16, 2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: dp

Crap, it is also happening with EB2's 4 tpy script. Thanks for noticing that AD.

Thanks for looking into this Ged. It's not something that will bother my campaign however.

I have another question. Will it cause problems if I condense the winter from 5 months to 3 months? 5 months is too long for there to be snow on the ground in a country like England. Also I wonder if it would be possible to expand the movement restricting traits to Autumn and Spring to give them a 15% movement penalty to take into account the boggy ground?

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; August 17, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

If you are not using the randomized winter it will be easy to change the number of winter months, just set the seasons like the summer months.

If you build new traits and check the month counter, you can set movement traits for a specific month instead of a specific season. It will be a bit of work, but it can be done. That is not something I ever planned, so I built the movement trait with 2 levels, you just need to add one.

Hi GrnEyedDvl
    First of all, great work!

I've just notice this thread, but I was working in this subject last week with some results.

My objective was a short (2-3 years) military campaign, with 52 turns per year, but beginning in a given week of the year (in my case week 36), and with a winter season shared between the end of one year and the beginning of the next one.

The only way to "convince" the game to change the year in the correct moment was to include a second counter (year counter) and force the year change with
    console_command date 1230
    It is a method easy for short campaigns (in years), but it is quite annoying if 150 years must be coded in the same way. :hmmm:

If you are interested I can send you a model of the script. I like very much your randomized option for winter and I will try to apply it to my own script (if you don't mind )

Cheers.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I have already seen one like that, the reason i didnt like it is because as you say, you have to code each year. Myyrdraal actually has a similar script on the org to what you are doing if you are interested in his.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I have already seen one like that, the reason i didnt like it is because as you say, you have to code each year. Myyrdraal actually has a similar script on the org to what you are doing if you are interested in his.
    Yes, but it is now much easier, and the only reason for this type of code is the possibility of starting the campaing in any period of the year (not necessarily in January).

Now I've used your idea of randomisation for longer winters, and it works perfectly.

I have done some private mods myself but I would never think this is possibel. You have done a wise & great thing here Mr Devil. I will use it myself if that possible?

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

There are good sides to it, but I wanted go create something that could be dropped into any existing mod, and most of all something short.