Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233

Thread: 12 turns per year with proper aging

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12 turns per year with proper aging

Stainless Steel already has a turn per year script afaik. Do a search for 'season' in the script and you should find it.

Laetus

Thank you for the reply

This campaign script doesn't have any search results for "season" or "ageing". Its weird.

I saw this message.

; If there is a serious error in the script then the game engine will not run it: everything will be disabled.
    ; You may see it in-game depicted by big vertical red letters ERROR in the bottom-left corner.

When I do play, I do see a red "error" message. Maybe this script is damaged? Is there different campaign scripts in Stainless Steel mods?

When I search for "winter" I get this.

; pro memoria: events happen on turn = I_TurnNumber + 1
    ; odd turns are summers, even turns are winters

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbathy View Post
    Thank you for the reply

This campaign script doesn't have any search results for "season" or "ageing". Its weird.

I saw this message.

; If there is a serious error in the script then the game engine will not run it: everything will be disabled.
    ; You may see it in-game depicted by big vertical red letters ERROR in the bottom-left corner.

When I do play, I do see a red "error" message. Maybe this script is damaged? Is there different campaign scripts in Stainless Steel mods?

When I search for "winter" I get this.

; pro memoria: events happen on turn = I_TurnNumber + 1
    ; odd turns are summers, even turns are winters
    I'm somehow recognizing my own words... Maybe you're referring to the script in the SSHIP? I've included there extensive instructions for the modders.
    In any case, if you see these red letters, it means your script contains an error (what is very easy to get, frankly speaking), and it does not load at all.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Laetus

Okay. I finally got it working.

Deleted everything from my computer. Reinstalled everything. Downloaded Stainless Steel 6.4 and found that the campaign script in the new download was different. Found the "ageing script" replaced it with the 12 turn script and got it working.

I must of gotten the SSHIP one by mistake. Its been a long time since I've played the game and new things have been introduced and I'm just out of touch.

Anyways thank you to you both. Happy New Year to all.

Blog Entries

Hi I am pretty bad at modding, I am trying to get this working on the base game (on steam if that makes a difference) and I haven't been able so i was wondering if there was a written guide somewhere or if somebosy could help me, thanks in advance and a happy new year.

Blog Entries

Best will be to use a basic version that does not have messages to display or gives traits as that would require a number of other things.
    First thing would be to make a back up of the campaign_script and descr_strat file.
    And only use Notepad to edit the files!

Then add your choice of season script at the bottom of the campaign_script file BEFORE the 'wait_monitor' line. Save.
    Now adjust the 'time_scale' value in descr_strat according to the season script that you are using. Save.

That's it as far as I remember.

Thanks I managed to get it working in Vanilla and many other mods, but I've been wondering if there is somethign specific to SSHIP, because I put the script in and change the setting but when I enter SSHIP it basically doesn't let me select a campaign

Quote Originally Posted by TheseusAthenios View Post
    Thanks I managed to get it working in Vanilla and many other mods, but I've been wondering if there is somethign specific to SSHIP, because I put the script in and change the setting but when I enter SSHIP it basically doesn't let me select a campaign
    This is a question probably better to be asked at the SSHIP forum ;-)
    I'd guess that the script code is so much more complicated in the SSHIP that your changes simply get superseeded by some other code (just the number of lines: SS some 40k, SSHIP 160k atm).
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 18, 2023 at 04:40 PM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Oh thanks I'll ask there but it does make sense that the change basically messes up something which means that the campaign doesn't display properly, it also is pretty curious that the error happens after I change stuff in the descr_start so it might be something with either the starting season or the year progression.

Quote Originally Posted by TheseusAthenios View Post
    Oh thanks I'll ask there but it does make sense that the change basically messes up something which means that the campaign doesn't display properly, it also is pretty curious that the error happens after I change stuff in the descr_start so it might be something with either the starting season or the year progression.
    I mean: it's likely to be me who would answer in the SSHIP forum , I was just passing by here. And I don't think I'd have an answer so maybe you're right asking here... Indeed, changing descr_strat may have an impact, I'm not aware of.

Blog Entries

Doesn't SSHIP already have a season script?

Faulty changes in descr_strat may stop the script from being processed as it gets called right at the end of the descr_strat file. Most scripts use the 'remove radar map restriction' command at the beginning - a re-appearance of that restriction is a clear indication that the script failed to start, either because of descr_strat or a serious fault within itself. A common hint that something went wrong in the descr_strat file is the appearance of rebel villages instead of proper faction settlements.

I am NOT using any Mods but I have unpacked the files. I tried 4, 6 and 12 turns per year and it is not working. I think I did not make any mistake about where to put the script in the txt nor in the time scale, plus I have edited the .cfg for file_frist. Moreover I always set the txts to read only, after the edits. Does this work with un-modded M2TW? I cannot understand if it does.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi, is it possible to keep 1 turrn per year but characters age every second year. So two turns for two years but characters get older 1 year?