GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12 turns per year with proper aging

Original post updated.

aNarion.'s Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I am doing some stuff with this today. The plan is to have several versions that you can just drop into the script of whatever game you are playing.

Here is what the goal is.
    Versions:
    12 turns M2, 12 turns Kingdoms
    A randomized script to change how long the winter is
    Traits for reduced movement in winter

I will do the same for a 4 tpy and a 6 tpy script, one for M2 and one for Kingdoms.

Technically you could use the M2 versions in a Kingdoms game, but the Kingdoms versions will take advantage of a new command that M2 cannot use.

aNarion, you will be able to take one of these and plug it into the current game you are running and should have no problems at all.
    Well the problem still remains.. did you take a look at my campaign script i uploaded? because i still shift between winter and summer after every turn..

And.. im still quite confused whrere to put it.. and what i should copy in your script file, the whole thing or just where ; 1. 12 Turns per year. starts...?

Quote Originally Posted by aNarion. View Post
    Well the problem still remains.. did you take a look at my campaign script i uploaded? because i still shift between winter and summer after every turn..

And.. im still quite confused whrere to put it.. and what i should copy in your script file, the whole thing or just where ; 1. 12 Turns per year. starts...?
    Same here. I've done my best to follow your directions implicitly, but it keeps alternating from winter to summer with every turn. I'm using the 12 turn, randomized winter version. I've also tried using the 12 turn normal version with the same result.

Do we copy/paste the entire campaign_script file you've provided (including the wait_monitor, end_script portions at the bottom)? The reason I ask is because in the normal version "wait_monitors" and "end_script" are included far down at the bottom of the page, but in the randomized version they are not. It's a bit confusing.

Also, where do I put the "historical_events" file? Does it go in the same location as the other files, or should it be in the data folder?

Great mod, by the way. I'm dying to get it working!
    Last edited by Macroi; July 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I havent gotten to writing install instructions yet as I am still working on a few things, but I will give you a quick and dirty how to here.

The script is designed to be a complete script, you can replace your current campaign_script with this one and it should run fine. The exception to that is the Kingdoms random script, as Macroi pointed out I left off the wait_monitors and end_script on that file. Sorry.

To add my script to another script, you need to take from the first declare_counter to the last end_monitor. You should not have two end_scripts or two wait_monitors.

If you are placing my script AFTER the end_script in your current campaign_script, then the script will not work.

Your campaign script should look something like this:

script

commands

commands

commands

wait_monitors
    end_script

Place my script somewhere in between script and wait_monitors, other than that it doesnt matter where you place it as long as you dont have any counter or event_counters with the same names as the ones I used in my script.

Also you HAVE to start in winter, and you HAVE to have the correct timescale in descr_strat. If not, the script will not work properly.

With the other files I will be adding such as historic_events and the traits files that are coming, what I am including is new sections of code. They need to be merged with whatever you are currently using. Just append my text to the bottom of your current files. In the case of historic_events you may have to convert the strings.bin version first.

I have the traits working for the 12 turn versions, working on the others tonight. When I am finished with all of it I will place a read_me with detailed instructions in the file, but hopefully this helps.

If you want to do a quick test, make a copy of your current campaign_script then run my base script by itself in your mod. If it runs ok then you have descr_strat setup properly and can merge the scripts. If it doesnt run fine then there is an issue somewhere.

Ok, I just tried putting your campaign_script (for 12 turn variable winter) in by itself and unfortunately it still alternates winter to summer every turn. I remembered to change the starting and ending seasons to winter in the strat file as you recommended (as well as the dates to 1080 and 1530).

At first I thought it was because I forgot to include the missing wait_monitors / end_scripts commands at the bottom of the page, but even after I put them in there was no change. The game still alternates seasons every turn. I had your old 12 turn file working a few days ago with no problem whatsoever, so I can't imagine what I might be doing wrong or different this time. Very strange indeed.

I'm using vanilla Kingdoms by the way. The only other mod I have is the "Crimson Tide" mod.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Did you set the timescale?

Yup, it's set to 0.0835.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Hmmmm, dunno, it works here. You have this in a working mod folder?

Yeah, I'm just putting it in my Britannia mod folder. Like I said, what's really strange is that the one you posted a few days ago was working fine. I don't get it.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Are you running that through a bat file or from the executable??

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Are you running that through a bat file or from the executable??
    I'm just double clicking on the Britannia shortcut that Kingdoms placed on my desktop when I installed the game. Is that wrong?

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Yes, you dont have a properly working mod setup. You need the file_first method working. I dont suggest changing the vanilla files, but if you just want to change that one thing then add this to your medieval2.preference.cfg file:

Code:
    [io]
    file_first = true

Ok, I gave that a whirl. I just pasted the command at the bottom of the pref file but the game reacted really badly. The UI was all messed up. I managed to click on the turn button (even though I couldn't see it) and the season turned to summer on turn 2, so I assume it still didn't work. Any other thoughts? I appreciate your patience.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

You need to setup a proper mod folder, I dont know if anyone has a Britannia mod folder, but I have a barebones folder that lets you run the Grand Campaign from the Kingdoms executable.

Ok, I'll give this a try. Many thanks!

Same problem for me as macroi, and i've added file_first = true to my medieval2.pref.. But the game still switch to summer and winter every turn.. Im using SS6.1. if you maybe had a look at my campaign script that i uploaded, maybe you could see if there is anything wrong in it?

Hmm. there is no one else here using this for SS 6.1? Would be thankful if someone uploaded there campaign_script if they did..
    Last edited by aNarion.; July 20, 2008 at 08:20 AM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I didnt look through that script much, you said you had mine working once before you changed stuff in it, so I figured dropping the new one in would solve your problem. I am looking through it now and dont see any obvious problems with my part of that script, though there is an error in the capital script, one of the counters is named wrong. Also when you set a counter you dont put the = sign in it. Did you change the SS part of the script, or my part of the script??

Code:
    ;------------------------- NEW CAPITAL COSTS ------------------------

set_event_counter NewCapital 0

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    	set_event_counter newCapital = 0
    end_monitor
    Is anything showing up in your error log? Do other parts of the script run? Hopefully you made a backup of the original SS script before you made any changes. I dont know what was in their script before, so if you changed it you need to talk to the SS guys.

If you remove the SS script, does mine run by itself?

Hehe, seems like its working now.. the capital issue could have done it.. thanks for your help there greeneyeddevil!

Magus's Avatar Tiro

Crimson Tide alters the file called "descr_geography_new.db" which tells the game to use the snow and dust textures while fighting in different climates, if this mod effects this file that would be the problem.
    Author of Crimson Tide, the Battlefield Aesthetics Mod
    click below for link.