Page 7 of 157 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Cultures Discussion

Default Re: Extended Cultures (XC)

Ah, that's good, I was worried it would a little like EB's CityMod in that aspect.
    I like CityMod, it's just that it takes the limiting of city growth too far.

I considered restricting large cities, but decided against it. And I'm glad you are enjoying the beta and the garrison buildings.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Lately, I think about your suggestion for all barbarian should able to access to Circle of Elder. So I have something to suggest for barbarian building which partly for Post-Marian Project for equally distribute to all barbarian factions without add any new building tree.

Barbarian's Post-Marian Building
    All: Elder Circle(same as before but now all barbarians have to respect the elders)
    Spain: Arena(Amphitheatre LV1, Roman Influence on good old local tradition of Iberia)
    Thrace: Theatre(Theatre LV1, Greek Influence on artistic tendency of the Thracian by greek colonist)
    Scythia: Horseracing Field(equestrian LV1, Similar to Mongols Nadam Festival which race both horsemanship and Archery for happiness of folks and skill of the warriors)
    Germans: Commons Hall(Tavern LV3, Place for hold Festivals and local political issue for non-elderly)
    Gauls: Druidic Council(Elder Circle LV2 with some bonus in law and farming(due to sophisticate druid's calendar) as well as give some knowledge&skill traits for barbarian, Like at Carnute's Cenabum, place where legal matters solved by druids as well as serve as learning center for barbarian character to earn some good traits as well as learn foreign language and read some foreign scrolls. This place should also as secondary place for recruit druids for army with fewer exp than from religious building. This is similar to academy but for barbarians faction especially for Celts which appearently higher educated society than all other barbarian in Europe but very high cost to build one. Thanks to Terry Jones' Barbarians book for data and inspiration.)

What are your opinions?
    Last edited by Suppanut; August 16, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Those are good ideas, I'll try to work them up for XC 2.5 (for XGM 5.8) Though I don't think I can get festivals at a common hall, I'll see what needs to be done in the UI text files.

Here is list of proposed traits for Druidic Council in addition of Elder Circle.
    Austere 3%
    Just 3%
    GoodFarmer 3%
    GoodMiner 1%
    GoodTrader 1%
    EducatedBarbarian 2%
    BarbarianBardicSkill 2%
    BarbarianOralTradition 2%
    BarbarianCraftandArt 2%
    Prudent 2%
    Celtic_Influence(for non-celts only) 2%

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Hey CeaserVincens,
    Here is the Alex mod and the Punic mod for 2.4 beta. I've been running 2.4 on Alex.exe for a few days now with no problems but I've only tested the Punic changes with Ethnic traits and Alex.exe. It should, however, work on any .exe and with any of the options (loyalty, provincials and so on have all be modified).

Anyone who wants to try out the changes to Carthage is welcome to - I'm happy to receive any bug reports or feedback on it, especially from people using BI or RTW exes.

Here are some description of new buildings I proposed.

{common_hall_barbarian} Common Hall

{common_hall_barbarian_desc}
    Life is more than just formal or fun but both. Common Halls are more than just a very large and crowd place for commons to gathers but it is a place of many utilities for both political and non-political issues. Common Halls are common places to hold festival and large feasts, drinks along with mass entertainment when the times commons waited for whole year to come as they are less likely to recieved any free good feasts or funs except in festivals or when elders circle, governor, or king ordered to, and also a good place for local commoners to have some political participation on local issues which they have some rights in the world of the true people.

\n\nAncient Germans people are well noted about their egalitarian society. Their commoners have many political and economical rights which distributed quite equally among community. Their leaders are rose to their rank by acceptance of peoples and have authority only in small or minor issues. Authority over major issues is in hand of all peoples in community which decide in assembly which leaders must use their persuasion skill and charisma to win the peoples' opinion.

{common_hall_barbarian_desc_short}
    Common Halls are a common place to hold festival and large feasts, drinks along with mass entertainment when the times commons waited for whole year to come as well as some political paticipation on local issue took place.

{druids_circle} Druids Circle

{druids_circle_desc}
    The Druids Circle is the place where druids properly take offices as judges to uphold laws of celtic society, discuss recent events and give advice to the ruler for the good of their people, and whole celtic world. Sometimes this place also use by scholar druids to gather for exchange their knowledges as well as hold some collections of useful foreign scriptures. This place is a good place for young men who are eager to learn as the druids pass down their knownledge to people who could use it for the celtic world.

\n\nThe druids are the learned class of Celtic world. Druids combined the duties of priest, judge, scholar, and teacher. Their knowledges are beyond celtic world and many times they seem to have knowledge in wisdoms of Mediterranean world. They also known for skill in read and write in foreign language as well as in their own Ogham alphabets but better known for their oral tradition and memory.

{druids_circle_desc_short}
    The Druids Circle is the place where druids properly take offices as judges to uphold laws of celtic society, discuss recent events and give advice to the ruler for the good of their people, and whole celtic world.

{hippodrome_scythia} Horse-Racing Arena

{hippodrome_scythia_desc}
    The Horse-Racing Arena is a Huge grassland field outside settlement where horse-racing festival are staged. Horse is very important for nomadic people and skill in horsemanship is vital to their survival no matter where they settled. Horse racing are as old as history of horse riding itself as people appear to have long expressed a desire to know which horses are the fastest, and thus horse racing has ancient roots. Gambling on horse races appears to go hand-in hand with racing and has a long history as well. The races are place where warriors can test their skill in the contest in the eys of crowd, and victory carries considerable prestige. The Races are fast, dramatic, and dangerous and healthy for horsemenship, making a spectacle that distracts the masses from more practical concerns.

{hippodrome_scythia_desc_short}
    The Horse-Racing Arena is a Huge grassland field outside settlement where horse-racing festival are staged. The Races are fast, dramatic, and dangerous and healthy for horsemanship.

Thanks Suppanut, I don't suppose you could come up with a better description for the Sea Kingdom and Thalassocracy buildings could you?

2.4.0 is now up on the first page.

The main changes are an update to XGM 5.7.21 and Ethnic Traits 1.1.

Webba,
    Your Carthaginian changes look cool, and you are welcome to continue hosting them alongside XC on this thread if you wish, but you will have to provide all the support for it.

Here are descriptions for substituted "Sea Kingdom" and "Thalassocracy" you are asking for.

{sea_kingdom} Maritime Guild

{sea_kingdom_desc}
    The great ships are nothing but wooden shells if without professional mariner to operate them. And best places to find the professional seadogs are at maritime guilds which scatter through many important ports of the sea peoples.

\n\nMaritime Guild are the organization where local mariners, from ship captains to ordinary fishermen, and shipwrights form for cooperation in their skills, knowledges, as well as provide ships, crews, business opportunities, and financial aids, both in banking and insurance, for members to made their living and surviving by the whim of gods in dangerous sea. They sometimes also issued a periplus ("a sailing-around' in Greek) which in the ancient navigation of Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans was a manuscript document that listed in order the ports and coastal landmarks, with approximate distances between, that the captain of a vessel could expect to find along a shore which help to extend commercial capability of local mariners a lot.

\n\nThe Babylonians developed a system of Insurace which was recorded in the famous Code of Hammurabi, c. 1750 BC, and practiced by early Mediterranean sailing merchants. If a merchant received a loan to fund his shipment, he would pay the lender an additional sum in exchange for the lender's guarantee to cancel the loan should the shipment be stolen. A thousand years later, the inhabitants of Rhodes invented the concept of the 'general average'. Merchants whose goods were being shipped together would pay a proportionally divided premium which would be used to reimburse any merchant whose goods were jettisoned during storm or sinkage.

{sea_kingdom_desc_short}
    Maritime Guild are the center where local mariners, from ship captains to ordinary fishermen, and shipwrights form their organization for cooperation in skills, knowledges, as well as provide ships, crews, business opportunities, and financial aids, both in banking and insurance, for members to made their living and surviving by the whim of gods in dangerous sea.

{thalassocracy} Naval Base Facility

{thalassocracy_desc}
    Naval Base Facility is a complex of buildings which dedicated to military proposes. This place have huge drydock and shipyard as well as skilled craftmen to support repairing and construction of larger warships with better technology. There also have barrack to train professional marines and sailors served in warships which vital to all thalassocratic empires.

\n\nWith existance of Naval Base in the area which usually came with improved port facilities, the port can speedily handle many merchant vessels and civilians would rarely facing with pirates due to protection of naval patrols from the naval base. Local merchants can easily send their cargoes to almost any port in the world, adding greatly to the wealth of the city. In return exotic goods from all over the world pass through these docks. All of these are possible by present of facilities, naval power, and safety in the area.

\n\nThe term thalassocracy "rule of the sea" refers to a state with primarily maritime realms—an empire at sea, such as the Phoenician network of merchant cities. Traditional thalassocracies seldom dominate interiors, even in their home territories. The term can also simply refer to naval supremacy, in either military or commercial senses of the word "supremacy." Indeed, the word thalassocracy itself was first used by the ancient Greeks to describe the government of the Minoan civilization, whose power depended on its navy. Herodotus also spoke of the need to counter the Phoenician thalassocracy by developing a Greek "empire of the sea."

{thalassocracy_desc_short}
    Naval Base Facility is a complex of buildings which dedicated to military proposes. This place have huge drydock and shipyard as well as skilled craftmen to support repairing and construction of larger warships with better technology. There also have barrack to train professional marines and sailors served in warships which vital to all thalassocratic empires.

Caesar: As we all known that my Ethnic Traits module is about to incorperated into XGM 5.8 but my head are just like a bag which often find something new everytime I look into it. Perhap I work on traits and ancilliary for too long so now my head turn into "Traits Generat-o-matic" and formulate new idea almost once a week. As my own project are about to end and I hestitated to start "Ethnic Traits Module V2.0" as I almost exhusted all of current XGM potential but I found more potential on your XC modules for my recently ideas.

Idea such as.
    Loves...(Faction Culture): to form triad with current "Fears..." and "Hates...", give bonus in exchange of command penalty against culture
    (Native colony)...Influence: Cross culture bonus for character who live in the foreign cultural area for too long.(need XC to operate)
    Hellenistic Tradition: Anti-Trait of "Archaemenid Tradition" for all easterner who seem to love Hellenic culture more than their native or persian tradition.
    Economy Skill: Traits which add management stats as well as trade and tax with slow growth rate(due to lack of development in this science) for non-barbarian factions to solve short of management situation
    Organizing Skill: pure and easy management stat traits which also add to solve short of management situation
    ....etc.(They will be a lot more to follow for sure but will be no traits which radically change gameplay like Ethnic anymore.)

Would I work them on your XC module? If you allow me then I would start soon to catch your XC Ver.2.5 for XGM5.8
    Last edited by Suppanut; August 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add more ideas 19/8/08

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Keep ideas flowing Suppanut, maybe you could also take a look at EB's age and family traits?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Sure Suppanut, XC could use many new traits, I haven't created any new traits yet, and only two new ancillaries, so there is certainly a lot of potential, those first three traits especially look good.

And thanks for the descriptions.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Version .2 of my punic mod is finished and working.

Now compatible with XC 2.4 using any option, exe or campaign and featuring a few additional changes. Full change log in the download.
    A mod of a mod of a mod - My Carthage AAR

Very neat, with your permission, I'll include it on the front page as a zip.

Here are idea about traits for XC that formulated so far.

Loves...(Faction Culture): to form triad with current "Fears..." and "Hates...", give bonus in exchange of command penalty against culture
    Code:
     LovesRoman
      Interest_In_Roman_Lifestyle
      Like_Roman_Way
      Love_Everything_Roman
     LovesBarbarian
      Interest_In_Tough_Peoples
      Like_Primative_Way
      Love_Noble_Savage
     LovesCarthaginian
      Interest_In_Punic_Business
      Like_Punic_Way
      Love_Rich-Rich_Punic
     LovesGreek
      Interest_In_Hellenic_Wisdom
      Like_Hellenic_Tradition
      Love_Clever-Clever_Greek
     LovesEgyptian
      Interest_In_Egyptian_Buildings
      Like_Egyptian_Religion
      Love_Ancient_Egyptian
     LovesEastern
      Interest_In_Eastern_Courtly_Style
      Like_Eastern_Luxuries
      Love_Granduer_Orient
     LovesSlave
      Sympathy_In_Lowlife_Thugs
      Support_Emancipation
      Advocated_Egalitarianism
    (Native colony)...Influence: Cross culture bonus for character who live in the foreign cultural area for too long.(need XC to operate)
    Code:
     Celtic_Influence(modify)
      Celtic_Influence
      Knows_Celts
      Life_Like_Those_Celts(add)
     Germanic_Influence
      Germanic_Influence
      Knows_Germans
      Life_Like_Those_Germans
     Iberian_Influence
      Iberian_Influence
      Knows_Iberians
      Life_Like_Those_Iberians
     Thracian_Influence
      Thracian_Influence
      Knows_Thracians
      Life_Like_Those_Thracians
     Nomadic_Influnce
      Nomadic_Influence
      Knows_Nomads
      Life_Like_Those_Nomads
     Roman_Influence
      Roman_Influence
      Understands_Romans
      Life_Like_Those_Romans
     Hellenic_Influence
      Hellenic_Influence
      Understands_Greeks
      Life_Like_Those_Greeks
     Persian_Influence
      Persian_Influence
      Understands_Persians
      Life_Like_Those_Persians
     Punic_Influence
      Punic_Influence
      Understands_Punics
      Life_Like_Those_Punics
     Arabic_influence
      Arabic_Influence
      Understands_Arabs
      Life_Like_Those_Arabs
     Egyptian_Influence
      Egyptian_Influence
      Understands_Egyptians
      Life_Like_Those_Egyptians
     Indian_Influence
      Indian_Influence
      Understands_Indians
      Life_Like_Those_Indians
    Hellenistic Tradition: Anti-Trait of "Archaemenid Tradition" for all easterner who seem to love Hellenic culture more than their native or Persian tradition.
    Code:
     Hellenistic_Tradition
      Passionate_In_Greek_Art
      Thinking_In_Greek_Philosophy
      Venerated_Greek_Gods_And_Heroes
    Economy Skill: Traits which add management stats as well as trade and tax with slow growth rate(due to lack of development in this science) for non-barbarian factions to solve short of management situation
    Code:
     EconomySkill
      Economy_Animal
      Midas_Owned_Hands
      Walking_God_Of_Wealth
    Organizing Skill: pure and easy management stat traits which also add to solve short of management situation
    Code:
     GoodOrganizer
      Know_How_To_Organize
      Good_Organizer
      Master_In_Art_Of_Organize

BadOrganizer
      Dumb_About_Organize
      Bad_Organizer
      Chaos_Bringer
    Anger: Modify to +1 morale at low level

Secretive: Modify to based on public and personal security

SmoothTalker: Modify to add Influence to Traits

Specific Health: Health status traits which effect characters(influence by EB)
    Haemophiliac
    Lame
    PoorHealth
    GoodHealth
    Epileptic

(Hidden)Wife's Characteristic: More about wife's qualities
    HealthyWife
    SickyWife
    IntelligentWife
    IgnoranceWife
    CloseRelativeWife(to activated Inbred)

Someone Child: Traits for not a son of legal father(one hidden for father and another non-hidden for son)
    SlaveSon
    ParamourSon
    BrotherSon
    GrandPaSon
    Bastard

Bad Artistic Taste: Trait which anti-traits of "InspiringSpeaker", "PoeticSkill", "Aesthetic", "ExpensiveTastes", "ForeignTastesRomanVice" which reduce influence and increase Squalor
    IndifferentInArt
    NoSenseInArt
    BadArtTaste

(Hidden)Teacher Nearby Traits: Traits which Indicate that have teacher with him to trigger chance for future skill traits to learn from ancillary by counting NavalCommand on Character.
    NoTeacher(NavalCommand = 0)
    MoralTaught(NavalCommand 1-3)
    SkillTaught(NavalCommand 4-6)
    PhilosophyTaught(NavalCommand > 7-10)
    (Current method based on assumption that more teachers would made student done some knownledge systhesis. Each ancillaries those can taught will have their own different NavalCommand Such as priest(+1) etc. Still need more refined solution)

What do you think about them?
    Last edited by Suppanut; August 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM.

Those look nice, let's start with the "loves culture" and "culture influence" traits, the Hellenistic tradition trait and both management traits, and the health and wife traits. Those plus the changes to existing traits should be a good start.

Webba's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    Very neat, with your permission, I'll include it on the front page as a zip.
    Sure, I'm more than happy for you to put it there.

edit: But go ahead and use the 2.4.1 compatible version now here
    Last edited by Webba; August 21, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    A mod of a mod of a mod - My Carthage AAR

You got it, Webba.

2.4.2 up on front now, mostly minor changes; Druids' Circle building added, some trait tweaking.

XC has been out for a while, and I've gotten a few comments here or there, but I'd like to here more. Tell me what you think of XC, how you like the new colony and barracks system and anything else.

So, if anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, please post them.

I'm so glad for your progress and result of your XC as well as potential that it add to XGM.

Do you know how many building tree's slots left?