Page 156 of 157 FirstFirst ... 56106131146147148149150151152153154155156157 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 3140

Thread: Extended Cultures Discussion

Default Re: Extended Cultures Discussion

Hello. I played the old version 4.11 or was it 4.12. Anyways I really enjoyed that one.

This one is interesting, but there are some changes I do not like. It seems certain Elite units have 120 men instead of 200 for regulars. Looking at the stats I think that this just makes the elites not worth it. Although elite units are strong, they aren't that much better than the regulars and since they require higher buildings so they are much rarer already. Even in the Old version I would sometimes avoid the elites because of their high retraining requirements. Now I don't see why I would bother with them at all. I might even go in the game file and change them back.

Secondly, I am confused by all the buildings. There is so much stuff on the description. I just guess what seems right and choose a building when I have the $. I don't know how much they even matter.

I do really like that you guys consolidated the factions. The Greek Rebels and Celt Rebels and Eastern Kingdoms from the Old game just didn't work very well. New factions is much better.

Also, although I have not played with those factions, the Selucids being a superfaction seems really cool. The units of all factions look good too.

Thanks for the work.

Laetus

I'm very impressed with the mod. However, playing as Macedon on High difficulty, my troops have serious morale issues and rout too easily. I am going to play on Medium/Medium. Is this unusual?

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr Lucian View Post
    I'm very impressed with the mod. However, playing as Macedon on High difficulty, my troops have serious morale issues and rout too easily. I am going to play on Medium/Medium. Is this unusual?
    Nothing unusual, this mod designed to be played on medium battle difficulty and high campaign difficulty. This mod is not easy and also not support power fantasy of player, so when it is high difficulty it would be really high.
    Last edited by Suppanut; October 12, 2020 at 05:43 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Hello. I played the old version 4.11 or was it 4.12. Anyways I really enjoyed that one.

This one is interesting, but there are some changes I do not like. It seems certain Elite units have 120 men instead of 200 for regulars. Looking at the stats I think that this just makes the elites not worth it. Although elite units are strong, they aren't that much better than the regulars and since they require higher buildings so they are much rarer already. Even in the Old version I would sometimes avoid the elites because of their high retraining requirements. Now I don't see why I would bother with them at all. I might even go in the game file and change them back.

I see. So you play on huge size stack. I must admit that this mod design to play somewhere between 50-100 generic stack size which different of stack size of elite and are not that much different from normal one. Another reason why some elite stack smaller than normal is due to those elite (most of them cavalry) coming with general attache. So they would have character attached to them (as I mentioned in description, this mod is good for bureaucrat trainee ) and stack could grow bigger as influence and personal security attribute of character grow. Those general would also able to get proper adopted into your family tree if he win some good battles and there is place spare for him to adopt into you family tree. Once he adopted into family tree, his units would convert to family bodyguard type unit which a tier better than ordinary units of similar tier.

Secondly, I am confused by all the buildings. There is so much stuff on the description. I just guess what seems right and choose a building when I have the $. I don't know how much they even matter.
    Welcome to bureaucratic training school of Extended Cultures, friend ......

I do really like that you guys consolidated the factions. The Greek Rebels and Celt Rebels and Eastern Kingdoms from the Old game just didn't work very well. New factions is much better.

Also, although I have not played with those factions, the Selucids being a superfaction seems really cool. The units of all factions look good too.
    They are no longer needed once I realized how to make normal slave faction so active as if they are several minor factions on their own. They would now make attempts to intercept your intruding army, ambush your army on ford and pass. If you play with campaign difficulty at high or very high, they would also able to siege you settlement especially if they see your settlement is poorly protected too.

Thanks for the work.
    Thank for feed back. May health and fortune smile on you.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSilverstone View Post
    Absolutely fantastic mod, played it a couple of years ago. And now there is a new version released))

@suppanut is there a way I can support/donate to the developers of the mod?
    Thank you for your kindness. We would accept that if Zarax still host his server. But as his server is nolonger online and I don't do modding for living, I could not take that especially during hard time for everyone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppanut View Post
    I see. So you play on huge size stack. I must admit that this mod design to play somewhere between 50-100 generic stack size which different of stack size of elite and are not that much different from normal one. Another reason why some elite stack smaller than normal is due to those elite (most of them cavalry) coming with general attache. So they would have character attached to them (as I mentioned in description, this mod is good for bureaucrat trainee ) and stack could grow bigger as influence and personal security attribute of character grow. Those general would also able to get proper adopted into your family tree if he win some good battles and there is place spare for him to adopt into you family tree. Once he adopted into family tree, his units would convert to family bodyguard type unit which a tier better than ordinary units of similar tier.
    Oh, OK, that is interesting. I'll consider that when I get farther along and encounter it. If the elite units come with a general that changes the dynamic a ton. The unit would definitely be worth having in that case. Most infantries like Sacred Band would max out in size but cavalry could become extremely powerful.

One thing though, I thought that the game counts how many generals per region you have when determining if children are born. If elite units are generals your family members might have less children.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    One thing though, I thought that the game counts how many generals per region you have when determining if children are born. If elite units are generals your family members might have less children.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
    General recruit as attached to unit don't count as family member until they get adopted into family later after some proven worth (different from directly adopted and turncoated general which would become part of family when they join). I don't think it would be any difference from minor governor units in XC4 as it is basically the same system. If more governors in XC4 lead to fewer direct bloodline, then this system is more or less the same.

Actually this mod not favor true blue elite that much apart from being source for general and governors when you need them. They may come with high initial experience apart from a bit higher base stats from training and equipment. But cost of recruitment and upkeep are much higher than your trusty veteran regulars in your army which also able to have high starting exp if your infrastructure support their additional exp condition. Your general and elite unit have combine upkeep very high only when they become part of family and have their units change into bodyguards that their upkeep would become much lower. You would not able to sustain large number of elite corps due to economic restrain after all.

Maybe, they sure would be expensive, but on the other hand, they replenish for free. I'll see what happens in my game.

Hi Suppanut!

Again, expressing my gratitude to you and all that contributed to the mod: this is just so amazing. This mod also looks like a small encyclopedia of part of ancient world: you read about the resources on the map and how they were used, the historical temples, the buildings, the units - it all adds so much to the game process...that you rather feel the game is some kind of a model of antiquity.

First impressions:
    + The game definitely became more challenging: the rebels now behave aggressively and maybe a bit more coordinated and if you are a small faction, you cannot simply expand at the early stages of the game.
    + Battles also became more challenging, that is cool (playing medium difficulty for now)
    + The building and development system - really cool. I haven't had such an experience with Total War in a while: didn't want to figure out all the construction effects at first, but after a few turns I realized I have budget issues and I literally had to study what each building gives, how they are interconnected, what to build first and what can wait. Honestly, I took a piece of paper and started writing things down)). I think I studied just about 50% and there is more to learn))
    + This has effect on the budget. Now one cannot simply have tons of armies and build whatever he wants: you have to take care of the economy and improve it. I played as Thrace and built mines - that helped a lot.
    + I really like the changes on the strategic map - now that you can navigate rivers.
    + Barbarian factions (at least Thrace) don't feel so "barbarian" anymore with all the buildings you have to construct.
    + All in all, the game became more complicated, which is so cool.
    + Amazing music

I miss parts of the trait system which is gone in the new version. For example, at the start some of your characters belong to a certain tribe (e.g. Moesian or Odrysian) but all the new characters that appear afterwards are only Barbarian (not even Thracian) - is this a bug or was it made intentionally? I liked that belonging to a different tribe would give some character traits (also, Thracians would sometimes have Hellenic - that was cool, to have someone Barbarian, but hellenized. I think same was with Pontus). Also, not seeing Democrats/Oligarchs among the Greeks and Populares/Optimates among the Romans anymore. Also, haven't seen the High King trait for the faction leader anymore. Would it be possible to bring those traits back in the later version?
    Also, the Victor in Asia, Africa, Europe for Greek factions was a cool trait - would it be possible to bring it back as well?

Thank you so much for this mod. A masterpiece..

Trait part is works in progress. As you know that now workforce is basically me on coding side, and when compare mod to the cake, vanilla is the flour while traits/ancillaries/advise are cream on the top. I remove old version of trait instead of adapting it to XC5 due to I plan to rework and overhaul it completely, but my free time is limit and still many things I need to fix, I still in process to fix some serious gamebreaking stability problem so trait would be on lower side of priority until then.

I didn't remove old traits and only using simplified trigger based on vanilla for now so that why all new characters not yet gain in depth ethnic traits.
    Last edited by Suppanut; December 01, 2020 at 01:04 AM.

Understood, Suppanut. Will wait for a new trait system then. I can't do coding, but do let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you at this stage.

Hello Suppanut. I sent you a private message but i'm not sure if it sent or not but if you did, feel free to ignore this inquiry in this particular thread. I would like to ask how i can get the highest level of the Achaemenid tradition trait for my general arsaces in my XC4 parthian campaign. Kind of a niche question but i'm roleplaying the rise of the parthian kingdom and restoration of Achaemenid tradition. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanArcher View Post
    Hello Suppanut. I sent you a private message but i'm not sure if it sent or not but if you did, feel free to ignore this inquiry in this particular thread. I would like to ask how i can get the highest level of the Achaemenid tradition trait for my general arsaces in my XC4 parthian campaign. Kind of a niche question but i'm roleplaying the rise of the parthian kingdom and restoration of Achaemenid tradition. Thanks.
    There is many way to get it in XC4 though...
    - first you may get by stay in settlement which has both academic building and persian colony level 3 or higher (or eastern native) and command must not more than 5
    - you may try stack several persian retinue in character and command attribute must be not more than 5 to perpetuated the trait on its own if you already have first level
    - stay in Ecbatana and Temple of anahita in Ecbatana must be upgraded on large city level) and command must not more than 5
    - stay in Istakhr and Persepolis must be upgraded on city level) and command must not more than 5
    - stay in settlement with silk road building and command must not more than 5
    - it could increase on its own if command not more than 5
    - eastern faction governing in settlement with with eastern colony or eastern native and command not more than 5
    (and many more)

Basically if your character command is already more than 5 then you could not gain it further, you could use retinue which reduce command bonus to gain this trait more but not much you could do

Another way to gain this trait without command limit is to trigger doomed of empire (more than level 4, but trait is hidden on faction leader) with value on after has settlement more than 45 and treasury more than 60000 but this is not good news in general.

So i have been playing around with XC5 for a while now and i have to say, you have done a fantastic job with the units this time. But i have noticed that the way horse units like cataphracts now hold their spears has been changed to the vanilla model. Is their a way to make horse units hold their spears like in XC4 over the shoulder? Apart from that little thing, i this mod so far!

I will look into what animation and action need to change later, reason for those change coming due to some of those units gain shield and and I add more animation which not suit for 2-hand holding animation in it. I will look into what animation need to be revised later.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppanut View Post
    I will look into what animation and action need to change later, reason for those change coming due to some of those units gain shield and and I add more animation which not suit for 2-hand holding animation in it. I will look into what animation need to be revised later.
    Edit: Never mind already answered.
    Last edited by Arshak I; January 23, 2021 at 04:01 AM.

As a veteran Total War player and an old fan of historical mods for RTW such as Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum, this mod is a very nice surprise. I played the old Extended Greek World mod back in the day (2005 to 2007) but I missed this new iteration, this new full-blown mod. As I said it was a really nice surprise, so I congratulate and thank you Are you planning to still work on it or it's "closed"? Cheers!

Thing is not yet done, something still left for me to implement, at least traits.

Hi, everyone. I played XGM for a few years, pre 2010 though (Magister Equitum at that time). With release of the RTWr got nostalgic and though of installing XGM again. Then I've learned XC is a mod in its own right now (with Zarax and Sup running the show) and XGM not being developed. Although I expect depth as far as trait and cultures is concerned, I am curious about the recruit system and approach to unit stats and battle dynamics. How does it compare to good old XGM? Thanks!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

There are 2 XC:

- XC 4.x is comparable to XGM, with the same depth given to most faction and a government system that allows you to customize recruitment and compromise between unrest and economy/recruitment, battle system is a slightly slower version of XGM 1hp with some additional cultural bias to help differentiate units.

- XC5 is an almost complete overhaul, in some ways closer to a Paradox game than anything RTW, Suppanut or someone in the current team is definitely better equipped to describe it.

Basically, if you want something similar to XGM go with 4.x, if you want something far more experimental try 5.
    The Best Is Yet To Come: