View Poll Results: Have You Been Waiting?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ever since I got Diablo 2!

30 16.13%
  • Excited about it, can't wait

19 10.22%
  • Heard about it, could be nice

69 37.10%
  • What's Diablo 3?

15 8.06%
  • Not looking forward to it

53 28.49%
Page 9 of 87 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo III

Renegen's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Diablo III

I'm in, I got dibs on the paladin like class.

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    You haven't played an FPS since Doom i assume.
    What?
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

I had to come and read this thread to see what all the fuse was about as I had known idea Diablo was so popular. I might just have to go out and buy Diablo 2 to see what all the fuss is about.

What makes the Diablo games so good anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Simple but fun gameplay involving slaughtering massive hordes of monsters and growing very powerful very fast. Also I recommend playing it on closed Battle.net, if you aren't playing it online you're missing 50% of the fun .
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I realize the problem people have with artistic direction, but I just can't grasp how WoW fans are the "brainless masses." If that's the case, Diablo fans are what?
    Let me put it this way: are Diablo fans paying £8-10 a month for a second job?

Zing.

The atmosphere and design is a big part of it's success. It mixes some high fantasy stuff with realistic aspects and is on the whole pretty GRIMDARK. A lot of fantasy universes and games still rely on LOTR with shiny happy elves and orc's and dwarves and so on, Diablo has none of that. It also has some great music.

However it's the replayability and addictiveness of the two games that have made them so popular. They use randomly generated levels so you can replay through the game as many times as you like and the layout will be different. Diablo 1 also had randomly assigned quests, like there were a few quests that would appear in every game but then there were others that might not appear at all in a particular game. Diablo 2 has a wide range of diverse and interesting classes which all play out very differently and in some cases you can't find these types in any other game. Or at least you couldn't, I remember the Necromancer being a big deal when D2 was released because nobody as far as I'm aware had really had a playable character like it before. The games are hack n slash meaning it's very easy to get hold of and is very accessible, however the diverse range of skills meant the character building was very deep and complex. Some classes really require good hotkey switching skills.

There's also the issue of items and gear. D2 has a vast range of different items with literally thousands of different attributes combined with the concept of sockets which can be filled with different gems and runes thereby creating even more combinations. It isn't like in WoW where weapons can only have 1 of like 9 different names ('axe of frost' or whatever). Nearly every character, even those of the same class, could be utterly unique because the gear was so diverse.

And that leads on to the multiplayer aspect. Being able to jump in to a game with or without friends and play through co-op is a big aspect of the series popularity. You can complete singleplayer and then jump on to Battlenet or you can create a brand new character specifically for multiplayer. In bigger groups enemies will drop more items, you can play through harder difficultly modes and try Baal runs in Hell mode for bragging rights and to buff your character up even more. Nearly everyone will agree that the multiplayer is why you play D2. There's still problems with the online stuff though, you have to be careful or you'll get PK'ed really easily and some of the combinations (gear and class) are pretty bent. But that's just become a part of how it works and most people don't care anymore. Which makes Blizzard's stance on PK'ing in D3 all the sillier. Especially since they want to replace it with bloody PVP games.

I had to come and read this thread to see what all the fuse was about as I had known idea Diablo was so popular. I might just have to go out and buy Diablo 2 to see what all the fuss is about.

Well they were more great for their time in my opinion, if you're going to go out now and buy the game for $40 I would say don't, and instead by TitanQuest Immortal Throne gold edition for $20 or $30 as it will be much more like the Diablo 3 that's coming than the old Diablo(s), but the choice is yours.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Actually you can get Diablo 2 plus expansion for $5 now

http://www.g2buy.com/index.php?gOo=g...0&productname=
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Don't expect too much, it doesn't fit all gamers.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbler View Post
    Simple but fun gameplay involving slaughtering massive hordes of monsters and growing very powerful very fast. Also I recommend playing it on closed Battle.net, if you aren't playing it online you're missing 50% of the fun .
    Why closed? And not open battle.net?
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    I'm in.
    Fo sho

EDIT: Well this just came to my mind, Diablo III won't be released in probably 1 and a half year...So who would want to wait that long..?

Fanatics?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegen View Post
    I'm in, I got dibs on the paladin like class.

There can be more than one I'm pretty sure

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Actually you can get Diablo 2 plus expansion for $5 now

http://www.g2buy.com/index.php?gOo=g...0&productname=

no way! I just dropped $40 bucks after having some d2 fanatics talk me into buying the collectors set. Oh well now I guess I'm just part of the club

There sactually zero stock in that 5 dollar thing. You have nothing to worry about.(and its CD-keys, Not the actual CDs required to install it)
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    no way! I just dropped $40 bucks after having some d2 fanatics talk me into buying the collectors set. Oh well now I guess I'm just part of the club
    You've just sold your soul.
    Last edited by King Edward III; July 07, 2008 at 04:17 PM.

- King Edward III, 1339

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    There sactually zero stock in that 5 dollar thing. You have nothing to worry about.(and its CD-keys, Not the actual CDs required to install it)
    You can register your CD-keys at Blizzard.com and download the games for free.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward III View Post
    Why closed? And not open battle.net?
    Closed ensures no copying of items, no hacks, no cheated characters etc....Open Battle.net is for people to play around with item editors and have fun, but you always run the risk of people doing nasty little things like dropping items that'll make your screen lock up.
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbler View Post
    Closed ensures no copying of items, no hacks, no cheated characters etc.
    There is a lot of cheating on closed.

What they said, also the economy on battle.net is great. Trades are always going on and the items have a real $ value as well. Some people run sites similar to WoW I imagine where they have many bots going 24/7 and make thousands off the game. I didn't cheat so much but I still ended up with about a grand off Diablo and that's with being very generous with my stuff when I quit. Don't get me wrong, it's not a good money-making scheme, that was after a couple years of playing but it makes things interesting. There's also some choice as you can play classic or the expansion or hardcore mode in either where "your deeds will be remembered" when you die and you stay dead. You also have a lot of choices for your characters names, class and stat and skill build so it's very replayable especially if you are into pvp and always tweaking this or that new character.

Anyways I guess I have to play D3 since I played the first two games, I haven't heard any dates yet but they aren't known for being especially fast so I won't hold my breath.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by mrkk View Post
    great news indeed my favs were amazone and sorcere

god knows how many hours i spent on D2 expancion pack
    I know how much time I spent.

I ran the game during school everyday of the week. So 5x7 hours = 35 hours. I would get home at 3pm. Turn off the bot. Do some homework. Eat dinner. Play from 5pm till about 1 am every school day. So 5x8 = 40 hours. I would log about 4 hours on Saturdays and about 8 hours on Sundays. So 4+8 = 12 hours.

Now then. When I was asleep I would run D2 about 7x7 = 49 hours.

That is 35+49 = 84 hours of the game running itself. For the purposes of averages I will round it down to 80 hours.

And 40+12 = 52 hours of actual gaming a week. I will round that down to 50 hours.

I owned Diablo 2 from launch but I didnt get broadband internet until right before LoD came out. I played 3 sports in 2001. Taking out the months I spent restoring my car.

So my time played was around....

9280 hours of the game botting.
    5800 hours of me playing the game.

My time played went down a lot during the end of 2003. So the actual numbers are less.

I am willing to say between 8000-9000 hours of botting and 4500-5000 actual hours of gaming. For a total of 12500-14000 hours of game play. Yes I was the guy that ruined the game for the casual players....

Damn. That is why I will not buy Diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward III View Post
    You've just sold your soul.
    This is why I will be playing a Paladin then I can get it back!

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

one should not forget to mention that diablo invented most of the things WOW is using: the whole item system (colors, stats, sockets), some creatures etc. pp.

so why should i play crap like WoW, which is just a 50% clone of diablo and the rest ( i like warcrafts story, but WoW rapes it (orcs/undeads are allies?etc) for the sake of smooth money making and easy game design) is utter nonsense (i only say: farming). pure recycling trash, diablo+warcraft+mmporg, well mixed and ....voila, out are comming $s.

i hope they will not mix WoW(diablo+crap)+diablo proper, lest theyd create a vomitablo 3.

They won't or they would have and they're not. So rejoice

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    one should not forget to mention that diablo invented most of the things WOW is using: the whole item system (colors, stats, sockets), some creatures etc. pp.

so why should i play crap like WoW, which is just a 50% clone of diablo and the rest ( i like warcrafts story, but WoW rapes it (orcs/undeads are allies?etc) for the sake of smooth money making and easy game design) is utter nonsense (i only say: farming). pure recycling trash, diablo+warcraft+mmporg, well mixed and ....voila, out are comming $s.

i hope they will not mix WoW(diablo+crap)+diablo proper, lest theyd create a vomitablo 3.
    Dude, I'm no fan of WoW (I find it as boring as I do MP Diablo) but you have it all wrong.

"Diablo" didn't invent anything. Blizzard created them. Then they put those things into both Diablo and WoW.

Farming is just as big in Diablo as it is in WoW. Just look at vizigothe's post.

I think Diablo is actually somewhat fun to beat once, but I have no idea how people can keep playing it for hundreds of hours, just trying to find a Super Epic Sword of Awesomeness +50 to replace their Mildly Epic Sword of Awesomeness + 48.
    ttt