Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Creating a World – Adding detailed Regions

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World – Adding detailed Regions

No, simply deleting the map.rwm file will do after you finish work on the map_regions file.

BallButton's Avatar Foederatus

So I've tried creating a new region, I did everything except for the Imperial campaign region and settlement names, there's no option to save as unicode, but by default it is UTF-16 LE, but I've save it nonetheless.

Then in the Descr_strat file I've move some resources into my province (I'm cutting out Belgrade from Zagreb), that is the other thing I did extra/did not follow.

Two other thing which i think is minor is that I've just added on my province to existing lines in the music and mercenaries one, hopefully it is not the issue.

But in the end it failed to run, whenever I tried to start a campaign it will CTD. Will be grateful to receive some insights, thanks!

Ok, I've solved it mostly, now are just some final questions about touching up:

1) How do I add an army? I saw the answer somewhere but I just can't seem to find it again. The settlement is a rebel settlement.

2) It seems I can only create the new settlement as a village, any higher it gives the "cannot create settlement" error. How do I solve this?

3) Everything in the files are typed correctly, but yet on the map the town name is missing a letter (Belgrad instead of Belgrade).

4) If I were to create a new region in the desert (Siwa from RTW), do I have to recolour all the impassable parts in GIMP so there will not be pathing issues for the roads?

Thanks!

Whew, all solved!

1) was solved by adding the army in descr_strat. If it is a rebel town you gotta find the coordinates with show_cursorstat with your cursor right above the town, copy it down and add an army to it. I suggest you find a nearby rebel town and just copy their roster over and change the captain's name and coordinates.

2) was solved. I did not copy the text correct at this part:
    building
    {
    xxx
    }

3) The trick is to press enter after the last entry in Imperial campaign region and settlement names

4) the answer is yes. Roads are auto generated, so make sure you clear a path and all's good.

Last edited by BallButton; March 28, 2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Update

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Guys, a quick question: if I switch a province from being coastal to non-coastal (ie: in the map_regions.tga I delete the port white spot and paint the squares bordering the sea (or all water bodies? what about the lakes) with another province's colour, and delete all the sea-related buildings from descr_strat.txt (port and warehouse), what should I do else ? Eg. how to make the browser not showing ports and warehouses?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Guys, a quick question: if I switch a province from being coastal to non-coastal (ie: in the map_regions.tga I delete the port white spot and paint the squares bordering the sea (or all water bodies? what about the lakes) with another province's colour, and delete all the sea-related buildings from descr_strat.txt (port and warehouse), what should I do else ? Eg. how to make the browser not showing ports and warehouses?
    AFAIK lakes do not give any naval related buildings and I don't think you need to do anything in descr strat unless there is already a included. Anyway I've just cut off Sofia from the sea with another region, but I have yet to test it out, maybe I will it tomorrow and let you know?

Blog Entries

Once you have generated a new map - after removing port pixels and related buildings - port buildings should not show up any more in the building browser.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Once you have generated a new map - after removing port pixels and related buildings - port buildings should not show up any more in the building browser.
    Gig, so why could such a situation happen?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Me and my big mouth....

The port will show up but it won't be buildable (grey, 'this building is not available yet'). If it was buildable it would be red like the gallows.

grey means that the prerequisite for the next building is not met. For example while you have roads (bolded entry) you lack the prerequisite (settlement upgrade) to build the next level (or there is no further level). In the case of port you lack the actual port placement.

Any building that has a valid building condition in the EDB will be listed in the building browser even if not available to be build. If memory serves event counter conditions need to be true before the building gets displayed - used for regional special buildings that are pre-placed (event never triggers) and the vanilla top level port (world is round event).

Hello! (sorry if my english is bad) I created 5 regions for now, and everything was fine. BUT when i wanted another region (called Athen) , and created it like the other 5, it crashed everytime. I deleted everything about that region, and the game worked, so i rewrited it, because i wasnt sure that i didnt forgot something during the creation. I changed the city and the port position several times, i gaved the marble from thessalonica to Athen in descr_region (obviusly removed it from thessalonica) ,but nothing. Can you gigantus or someone help me please ? I would be thankful even if i get a working athen config, that i can compare with my config.

My code: descr_regions:
    Athen_Province
    Athen
    byzantium
    Greek_Rebels
    201 218 203
    marble
    religions { catholic 5 orthodox 90 islam 0 pagan 3 heretic 2 }

descr_sound:
    regions Isle_of_Crete Athen_Province

descr_strat:
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Athen_Province

year_founded 0
    population 3000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator byzantium
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_wall
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_watch
    }
    }

imperial....txt.strings.bin (edited it with bineditor)
    Athen
    Athen_Province

map_regions.tga

EDIT: mysteriously, the code beginnt to work. Im not sure how, could be because of the editing the map in paint, repositioned the city and the port, but i did it several times before, no way, that just now working.

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you got it solved - it was most likely an issue with a stray mismatched pixel in map_regions.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456