Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World – Adding detailed Regions

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World – Adding detailed Regions

In imperial_campaign... you have the two palermo names in one line, needs to be in separate lines.
    In descr_regions the settlement name and region name are in one line - they need to be in separate lines.
    In descr_strat the first parenthesis (the curly bracket) should be in the next line.
    Those issues may be just me being used to a certain format...

A crash to menu is most likely a descr_strat error, it does however leave a nice defined error message - have a look into the log and search for [error] to find it.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    In imperial_campaign... you have the two palermo names in one line, needs to be in separate lines.
    In descr_regions the settlement name and region name are in one line - they need to be in separate lines.
    In descr_strat the first parenthesis (the curly bracket) should be in the next line.
    Those issues may be just me being used to a certain format...

A crash to menu is most likely a descr_strat error, it does however leave a nice defined error message - have a look into the log and search for [error] to find it.
    Yea i just wrote it the same way all the other vanilla entries are written in the files, so i think it should work?
    I found some errors though.

Code:
    19:48:37.622 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 170, column 32
    resource timber positioned on 199,57 which is an invalid tile.

19:48:37.660 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1080, column 5
    Settlement specifies port, but this region is not allowed a port - can be ignored,but port building will not be created for settlement!

19:48:37.660 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1080, column 5
    could not create settlement at script line 1080.

19:50:35.917 [data.invalid] [error] BATTLE_MAP_AREAS unhandled situation : See Charlie
    No idea why it can't place timber there, nor how i change the coordinates. Going to try to just replace timber with something else.

Edit: It worked now, got into the campaign. The region was there and even fought a battle in the settlement Thanks alot for all your help!!
    Last edited by Mortarion; November 26, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

The port error will have been the crucial one. You must have had a port building in descr_strat bu tno port pixel in map_region.

Invalid placement (of characters, resources or settlements) will only cause a crash if it is in water - and then only for settlements. Else it is on an impassable tile - map_groundtype is the file to fix it (or move the item).

Biarchus

One is glad to be of service

The port error will have been the crucial one. You must have had a port building in descr_strat bu tno port pixel in map_region.

Invalid placement (of characters, resources or settlements) will only cause a crash if it is in water - and then only for settlements. Else it is on an impassable tile - map_groundtype is the file to fix it (or move the item).
    Yea, it's weird though. The invalid ressource was a vanilla ressource, i didn't write or mess with it at all. And the port i made was ok, the port problem was a port in Ragusa. Anyway, i deleted the resource and port and it worked. Have made 4 regions so far, and it's all working

Blog Entries

Ah yes, the famous 'Ragusa port' error. That will happen if you use the vanilla map and don't even work on the other files - all that is needed is to delete the map.rwm file and it will happen.

Good luck with your endevaour.

Biarchus

Ah yes, the famous 'Ragusa port' error. That will happen if you use the vanilla map and don't even work on the other files - all that is needed is to delete the map.rwm file and it will happen.

Good luck with your endevaour.
    Thanks for all the help

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

I have added a new region, campaign is crashing right after clicking "start", so map.rwm is not generating. I have nothing in log on "error" level, and when it's set to "trace", last info is: 21:49:36.263 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/potop/data/world/maps/base/descr_sounds_music_types.txt (from: F:\Gry\Medieval 2)21:49:36.532 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

I added this region to right place in this file, then removed it after first crash, still nothing. Any ideas?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Do your backup files still work?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hellvard View Post
    I have added a new region, campaign is crashing right after clicking "start", so map.rwm is not generating. I have nothing in log on "error" level, and when it's set to "trace", last info is: 21:49:36.263 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/potop/data/world/maps/base/descr_sounds_music_types.txt (from: F:\Gry\Medieval 2)21:49:36.532 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

I added this region to right place in this file, then removed it after first crash, still nothing. Any ideas?
    Which of my mods are you using?

Several options:
    - are the RGB values correct (settlement, port, region)?
    - does the religion total add to 100?

Best to start again from a back up as Irish suggests.

I'm not using any of your mods Uncle Gig I made this region manually, because geomod is freezeing, like I wrote in geomod thread. I checked rgb and religion values, they are correct. Like I wrote earlier in other thread, I removed one faction, two it's regions, and added remaining two to other faction, I also made some boundries correct. This was working, crashing started after I made this new province.

How many provinces do you have? And how many water types?

197 provinces, and how can I check those water types?

You should be good then. The last time I checked in vanilla there were only three water types in the Atlantic in map_regions.tga.

Blog Entries

"Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal."

That's my version of "Medieval 2 has encountered an error..." from several of my mods, that's why I was asking.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Can somebody explain how descr_sounds_music_types.txt works? Each music_type has a pool of regions associated with it but how does the factions line tie in? I can't find this explained anywhere.

And what would happen if you added a new region but forgot to add it to this file? Would there be no music for battles fought there, or some default choice of music instead?

Blog Entries

I haven't been too enlightened about it either - but I think it is related only to battle music. You can in fact leave the whole file blank and the 'music plays on'

Actually not sure if it is a RTW left over - I have always had the impression that the various music text files in the data folder take care of that, like descr_stratmap takes care of all the ambient sounds on the strat map. Descr_sounds_music has all the culture related background music for battle and strat.

There is a possibility that descr_sounds_music_types overrides\reassigns this.

Battle music: yes, that seems to be the case judging by what little info I have managed to find.

You can in fact leave the whole file blank and the 'music plays on'
    That eases my main concern. Forgetting to add a new region to file is harmless. Good, thanks.

Some observations with descr_sounds_music_types.txt:
    Music is assigned by culture types, like southern & northern european, greek, etc.
    From my tests and setup so far I have found that frontend (menu) music is setup in first entry. For example, in TATW/MOS submods playing as elves (greek culture) I had to modify "music type northern european".
    The campaign map music is determined by the faction (and it's underlying culture) that you start the game with. Again in my case of elves assigned to music type greek.
    I see that the file also has cultures of Rohan and Gondor.
    Battlemap music appears to be REGION specific. I haven't made the time yet to determine if it's game-start or dynamic "who owns the region when you are battling." I suspect the former, but I haven't tested it.
    If even one music file has an internal compatibility issue when rebuilding the idxs, I have found that M2TW can defaults to the primary m2tw sound files directory, like it does for ui graphic errors.

Thanks for that.

I haven't made the time yet to determine if it's game-start or dynamic "who owns the region when you are battling." I suspect the former, but I haven't tested it.
    If it was game start then the game should be able to work things out without the need for us to specify regions in this file. It knows who starts with what regions. Indeed, this file would essentially be duplicating (or contradicting) the region starting ownerships in descr_strat. It's possible but I suspect it is the "current owner" instead.

Another possibility is "who is the player?" but I don't think so, given that "slave" is on the list in vanilla. Or maybe it's "who are you attacking?" but somehow I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    If it was game start then the game should be able to work things out without the need for us to specify regions in this file. It knows who starts with what regions
    Logically that is true.
    BUT...i think there is a key next step missing.
    This file provides the instructions as to what music you hear on the battlefield - and that music is based on the region the battle takes place.
    So using Rhun for example (TATW-MOS submods ref), I go as elves go deep into Rhun country and invade a city. The battle music is Rhun (underlying culture middle-eastern, or arabic - can't remember).
    If I go deep into Mordor country, the battlefield music (tension, mobilzie, battle) is tied to that underlying culture.

But what about the areas that did belong to Mordor, but belong to now say Dale.
    Is that battlefield music tied to Mordor as the game-start owner. or is it now Dale, because they took over the region by conquering the city.
    There is a third possibility that it's tied to the dominant culture of the settlement in that region. I hadn't thought of that, until just now typing this. So thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast