Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World – Adding detailed Regions

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World – Adding detailed Regions

Does your movement range (green area) around the settlement have those brown spots like an enemy's ZoR? Or does it simply not cover the settlement?
    In the first case it will be a garrison that doesn't belong to your faction. The second case would be underlying impassable ground.

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

No, it's like an allied city but where I can construct and recruit. And the units in the settlement can exit without any problem. I'll change its place to see if it helps.

Edit: It seems like I've put the settlement in the forest which I thought was just next to it. So now I've solved the problem.
    Last edited by Alexandros I.; February 19, 2013 at 09:05 AM.

Biarchus

Im a noob at modding, just started. But i can't convert the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt. to a txt file instead of .bin. I know it has to do something with the converter only working with Python v2.6, but i don't know much about Python and would rather not mess with it and delete, install and delete and reinstall the current Python version. Would it be possible for someone who has the converted .txt file to upload it somewhere?

Sorry if this dosn't have much to do with the tutorial. But i don't really know where else to ask, since this seems kind of appropriate.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

No can do on unmodified files. Download a mod. About everyone has this file in it allbeit modified for the mod.

Try this one, yet? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-The-BinEditor

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    No can do on unmodified files. Download a mod. About everyone has this file in it allbeit modified for the mod.

Try this one, yet? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-The-BinEditor
    That did the job, thanks alot! Didn't expect such a quick answer, and you solved my problem

Edit: it says at the top, generated by bineditor v3.0. Any idea if i should delete that or can i just let it stay?
    Last edited by Mortarion; November 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Leave it. It does no harm.

Biarchus

Hmm, seems like i'v run into a small problem. Would appreciate if you're willing to help me out with this too

My Medieval 2 crashed, this is the error at the end of System.Log.txt

[system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.rwm is missing
    [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Plymouth_Province' in stringtable

Im trying to make a test province, which im calling Plymouth_Province. It's located in south west England, im not good at English geography so it's probably not the correct region name xD

So this is what i wrote in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014

Plymouth_Province
    Plymouth
    england
    English_Rebels
    198 160 136
    iron, coal, wool
    religions { catholic 90 orthodox 0 islam 0 pagan 5 heretic 5 }
    Last edited by Mortarion; November 23, 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Are you trying to add a region or edit an existing one?

Biarchus

Add a new one, this is my map in bmp. The south western brown colour is the new region im trying to make right below Wales.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Yes that and this thread is the main tutorials i'v been following. According to the error, it can't find my province in stringtable? Which i have no idea what is

Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Plymouth_Province' in stringtable

Odds are descr_strat, decsr_mercs, win_conditions, descr_regions,

Blog Entries

String Table == String.Bin file

The error message says that the entry has been read from from descr_regions but that it's description has not been found in the STRING.BIN file:

If you have added the name of the province and settlement to the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.TXT file (as per step 9 of this tutorial - don't worry about the read-only issue) then chances are the new STRING.BIN file of the same name has not been generated.
    Delete the STRING.BIN file and start your game again.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    String Table == String.Bin file

The error message says that the entry has been read from from descr_regions but that it's description has not been found in the STRING.BIN file:

If you have added the name of the province and settlement to the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.TXT file (as per step 9 of this tutorial - don't worry about the read-only issue) then chances are the new STRING.BIN file of the same name has not been generated.
    Delete the STRING.BIN file and start your game again.
    You're right, it dosn't want to generate the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.string.bin file. That seems to be the problem, i have no idea why it dosn't want to generate it though?

Blog Entries

In most of the cases it's because the file has been saved in the wrong format (should be Unicode) and\or is missing the fancy symbol in the first line. It's an easy fix:

Open the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file with Notepad
    Open another txt file in the data\text folder with Notepad
    Copy the symbol in the first line from the other file into the first line of the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file
    "Save As" the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file and make sure the encoding option (bottom right) is set to Unicode

Biarchus

It already has the symbol if this is the one you mean ¬
    And it's saved as unicode, just tried saving it as unicode again and playing the game. I get a crash and the same error about stringtable. It didn't generate the string.bin file either

Blog Entries

If it has the symbol then I would suggest to use this tool. To generate a correct set of files proceed as follows:

First make sure that the entries in curly brackets (check if you used the correct brackets) is exactly the same as the entries in descr_regions, eg {new_town}New Town. Open the tool and do these two steps with your imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file:
    1. 'Import' the txt version and then 'export' it - this generates a proper txt file
    2. Then 'Save' it - this generates a proper string.bin file

Biarchus

That did the thing, now i have the string.bin file. Tried starting a campaign, but got a crash. This time there is no error about stringtable, only that Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit. Maybe my batch file or the IO file first thing isn't correct?

Also, i get alot of data missing errors like this.

[system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds is missing
    02:37:50.547 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
    02:37:50.551 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
    02:37:50.555 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing
    02:37:57.591 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_timurids.tga is missing
    02:37:57.592 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    02:37:57.592 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_timurids.tga is missing
    02:37:57.610 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_normans.tga is missing
    02:37:57.611 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    02:37:57.611 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_normans.tga is missing
    02:37:57.612 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_saxons.tga is missing
    02:37:57.613 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    02:37:57.613 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_saxons.tga is missing
    02:37:57.614 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_slave.tga is missing
    02:37:57.615 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    02:37:57.615 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_slave.tga is missing

Blog Entries

'missing' entries can be ignored, it is due to the game first reading from your mod and then from the main game\packs were it finds those files. The important ones are the [error] entries.

I would suggest to delete the map.rwm file in the base folder - that way a new map gets generated. If that doesn't work then check all the entries you have done for your new region. Is the color (RGB value) of the region correct and consistent as well as the port and settlement pixel? Do the religion entries add up to 100? Are the descr_strat entries correct?

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    'missing' entries can be ignored, it is due to the game first reading from your mod and then from the main game\packs were it finds those files. The important ones are the [error] entries.

I would suggest to delete the map.rwm file in the base folder - that way a new map gets generated. If that doesn't work then check all the entries you have done for your new region. Is the color (RGB value) of the region correct and consistent as well as the port and settlement pixel? Do the religion entries add up to 100? Are the descr_strat entries correct?
    I deleted the map.rwm in base and double checked all the files i changed. Now it dosn't crash, i can start a campaign. However, it just puts me back to the main menu screen. It's better than a crash though Also, now i can play custom battles just fine, before it would crash aswell. It has generated a new map.rwm file too. Still can't really star a campaign though

Here are the files i modiefied, maybe i forgot something?

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    Code:
    {Palermo}Palermo{Palermo_Province}Palermo Region
    {Pamplona}Pamplona
    {Pamplona_Province}Pamplona Region
    {Paris}Paris
    {Paris_Province}Paris Region
    {Plymouth}Plymouth
    {Plymouth_Province}Plymouth Region
    {Prague}Prague
    {Prague_Province}Prague Region
    {Ragusa}Ragusa
    {Ragusa_Province}Ragusa Region
    {Rennes}Rennes
    {Rennes_Province}Rennes Region
    descr_regions.txt
    Code:
    Plymouth_Province    Plymouth
        england
        English_Rebels
        198 160 136
        iron, coal, wool
        religions { catholic 90 orthodox 0 islam 0 pagan 5 heretic 5 }
    descr_sounds_music_types.txt
    Code:
    music_type northern_european    ; england faction (see world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt)
           regions Dublin_Province York_Province Caernarvon_Province Nottingham_Province London_Province Plymouth_Province
    descr_mercenaries.txt
    Code:
    pool England_Wales    regions    London_Province Nottingham_Province York_Province Caernarvon_Province Plymouth_Province
        unit merc cog,                exp 0 cost 200 replenish 0.36 - 1.0 max 2 initial 1 religions { catholic } crusading
        unit merc cog,                exp 0 cost 1000 replenish 0.03 - 0.15 max 2 initial 1
        unit Mercenary Crossbowmen    exp 0 cost 860 replenish 0.04 - 0.13 max 2 initial 1 end_year 1350
        unit Mercenary Arquebusiers    exp 0 cost 830 replenish 0.04 - 0.13 max 2 initial 0 start_year 1400 events { gunpowder_discovered }
        unit Mercenary Knights        exp 0 cost 870 replenish 0.02 - 0.07 max 2 initial 0 start_year 1300 end_year 1500 religions { catholic orthodox }
        unit Pilgrims                exp 0 cost 35 replenish 0.36 - 1.0 max 6 initial 2 religions { catholic } crusading
        unit Crusader Knights        exp 0 cost 220 replenish 0.15 - 0.35 max 3 initial 1  end_year 1300 religions { catholic } crusading
        unit Welsh Longbowmen Mercs    exp 0 cost 810 replenish 0.04 - 0.13 max 2 initial 0 start_year 1300
        unit Welsh Spearmen Mercs    exp 0 cost 470 replenish 0.06 - 0.18 max 3 initial 2 end_year 1450
        unit Mercenary Ribault        exp 0 cost 600 replenish 0.02 - 0.04 max 1 initial 0  events { gunpowder_discovered }
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    Code:
    Nuremburg_Province
    Nuremburg
    Rennes_Province
    Rennes
    Plymouth_Province
    Plymouth
    Paris_Province
    Paris
    descr_strat.txt
    Code:
    settlement{
        level village
        region Plymouth_Province

year_founded 0
        population 800
        plan_set default_set
        faction_creator england
    }
    I added the red colour to make it easier to spot my province/text
    Last edited by Mortarion; November 25, 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast