Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Roman (byzantine) videos...

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Medieval Roman (byzantine) videos...

There are some "Byzantine" videos:

Greek fire in real use

Byzantine fan art

Some of these guys are similar to Varangs:

Byzantine VS Normans in Taranto:

By...SgtNase
    http://vizantia.info/docs/73.htm
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; September 21, 2008 at 04:25 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

AnthoniusII's Avatar XXI ARMORED BRIGADE

Default Re: byzantine videos

Great...Research Mega DuX !!!
    There are moments (in history), in which a nation owes,
    if it wants to be considered as a great one, to be able to fight.
    Even without hope of winning. Just because it has to.
    Greek War motto.
    XXI Armored Brigade. Proud that served in that unit in 1996!
    "Spartans do not ask how many (enemies are) but where they are"!
    XXI Armored Brigade's motto.
    The Greek Secret (or why they will fight again if it will be necessary or why they do not sell their history).

Thanks my lord!!!
    Did you see the first video about Greek fire!
    It is showing the reconstructed siege size Greek Fire throwers along with the hand version of greek fire!!!
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

That is the reason we have "Siphonatores" in our Roster!!!
    Greek War motto.
    The Greek Secret (or why they will fight again if it will be necessary or why they do not sell their history).

Cool Vids Neoptolemos!!!
    Last edited by Nicholas H.C; June 29, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I think I've seen that greek fire documentary on TV before :hmmm:

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Another video:
    3D reconstruction of the greek fire

Luís de Camões

Senator

I found this video really educational!
    + rep

Barser's Avatar Senator

That greek fire video is old. I remember seeing it when news of kingdoms was comming and they where teasing us with the greek fire. People would then claim it was fantasy and this video showed up.

And ha it looks funny with those role playing guys fighting. That always cracks me up. Larping deluxe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqpgA...eature=related
    and haha thats a real Alamanoi for ye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkirT...eature=related
    Last edited by Barser; July 03, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

Libertus

I think you'll find its called Re-enactment, and well, yes, only have 6 guys or so per side kind of ruins it, but still, they are very good at what they do (ironically, we re-enactors have to be good at not killing people, but making it look as if we are trying to)

I'm a First World War re-enactor myself, so the closest I come to hand to hand is a bayonet charge (in which we usually all get blasted apart by a maxim anyway)

Anyways, makes you wonder, thinking of both the Eastern Empire and the First World War (hehe, actually theres another link, the Ottoman Empire, whos ancestors destroyed the Eastern Empire, wasn't finally destroyed until 1918 when the British and the ANZACS and local rebellions forced their surrender). Why did we go down such a complex route with flamethrowers (pressurised bottles on our backs, correct viscosity to light etc) when a simple bathroom sealant gun type affair would basically be far more portable and far less dangerous to the user. Sure, its shorter ranged, but with flamethrowers thats a given anyway. You could just carry a few of the bottles around like magazines and make the bottom chamber a hollow uncapped cylinder, slide the bottles in, engage the siphons by pulling down a bolt of some sort (like the lids of jam jars) and away you go.

EDIT: and well, okay yes I admit, the guys in the videos you posted were LARPers indeed. (the whole "i'm trying to be a mediaeval soldier whilst wearing my $24.99 pair of Levis and some old trainers" look gives it away, real re-enactors go the whole way, and wowsers, if i'm hot in a woolen uniform in June, I can only imagine what the guys in the full platemail must feel like)
    Last edited by SquireJames; July 07, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Let my Armies be the trees and the rocks, and the birds in the sky -- Charlemagne

Default Re: Byzantine videos...

the thing about the greek fire demonstration though, is that it looks like the flame just dissipates after traveling some distance

wouldn't that make it's use extremely limited? maybe they didn't use actual greek fire or naphta or w/e but i think the lethality of greek fire comes from sticking to its target and continuing to burn, rather than just disappearing

Quote Originally Posted by Fistanditilus View Post
    the thing about the greek fire demonstration though, is that it looks like the flame just dissipates after traveling some distance

wouldn't that make it's use extremely limited? maybe they didn't use actual greek fire or naphta or w/e but i think the lethality of greek fire comes from sticking to its target and continuing to burn, rather than just disappearing
    well you have to keep in mind that at the time the use of flamethrowers, bombs, and general weapons that created fire and sound wasnt either common or even known to some cultures, so imagine having ur spear and shield and running to someone who just held a metal pipe... then when u get close the pipe started spewing fire!!

the psychological effect must have been devastating and actually i think they must have damaged morale way more than people ... also think about what a horse would have done when confronted suddenly by a flame traveling towards it
    There is nothing that can match the exuberance of youth.... except of course, wisdom and treachery.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Xamt View Post
    well you have to keep in mind that at the time the use of flamethrowers, bombs, and general weapons that created fire and sound wasnt either common or even known to some cultures, so imagine having ur spear and shield and running to someone who just held a metal pipe... then when u get close the pipe started spewing fire!!

the psychological effect must have been devastating and actually i think they must have damaged morale way more than people ... also think about what a horse would have done when confronted suddenly by a flame traveling towards it
    I agree - I think the greek fire should have a particularly profound effect on horses!

+ rep

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

great films + rep
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Thanks!!!
    Luís de Camões

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Hey, since I have you available, I guess this is the perfect place to ask - Do you think the Byzantines in this old movie (it's from 1981) are somewhat accurate for the time of 680AD or not?

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Hey, since I have you available, I guess this is the perfect place to ask - Do you think the Byzantines in this old movie (it's from 1981) are somewhat accurate for the time of 680AD or not?
    No...definatly not!
    Greek War motto.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    No...definatly not!
    What would the differences be more precisely?

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    What would the differences be more precisely?
    We are working on a roster for this era...Hold on a bit and you will see the diferences!
    Greek War motto.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    We are working on a roster for this era...Hold on a bit and you will see the diferences!
    Ok, great, can't wait!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast