Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Highest OC on TWC

i am being to feel ashamed that i only use a RADEON 7200.
    YET it still works fine on RTW with up to 7000 guys on medium graphics

yay im a field slave...
    i have an overclocked gameboy.. tis t3h r0x0r
    i have a 9200 radeon umm poor performance all around yay! including odd triangles that appear on the compaign the map and there not the pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by spence
    yay im a field slave...
    field slave is the lowest level

meh
    this count as spam?

Moderator EDIT:: yes, it does - warned for spam, actions logged
    tBP
    Last edited by the Black Prince; June 22, 2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spamming

no but this does (filler filler filler)

Moderator EDIT::
    reported post. spam content
    warning issued, and logged
    tBP
    Last edited by the Black Prince; June 22, 2005 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spamming

Clibby's Avatar Praetor Maximus

Guys lets not get this thread closed. Get back on topic.

Now as too overclocking, I couldn't tell you, I have a Dell

Winner of the Tech Award 2005 at www.TotalRome.com

Under the patronage of apparently nobody since they cant keep their citizenship!!!

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Having the front and rear fans as intake will disrupt the flow of air. front/side should be intake. rear/top/psu should all be exhauset to maintain proper airflow and pressure.
    I got slightly lower temps by having intakes in the back and front(when I was still air cooled) with a big ol' exhaust fan in the side.

What OTZ said is generally true. I've just had personal experience otherwise. Personally, I'd say just try different locations and see what works best for YOU and your case.

-edit- I noticed our spammer got banned.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

i dont want to be banned!
    back to topic, i have some questions, most you have lost from OC gone wrong?
    and how long have you been doin it PuR?
    and are AlienWare case's and hardware good for gaming and keepin the pc cool, im interested in AlienIce which is relevant because oc'd pc's need to be cool

most you have lost from OC gone wrong
    I've never lost a part from OCing. I've fried a graphics card (5900 Ultra). But that wasn't from Ocing. It was from trying some extreme cooling, and condensation dripped off the waterblock and onto the AGP connectors. But that could have been prevented. It was my own negligence for allowing it to happen. I went and took a shower while I waited for temps to drop. When I came back my temps were at 18C. I took a screenshot of it and saved. As soon as I saved the screenie, my PC crashed.

But, I've been Ocing for a few years, and have NEVER lost a component to overclocking.
    Alienware's are decent rigs. They're the gamers/modders version of a Dell(some proprietary hardware). As for the "AlienIce". It's a "Alienware-ified" Koolance EXOS watercooling system. Nowhere near a custom system, but better than air.

here

sounds good, but i guess they cant do custom, wouldn't be custom then.
    i entered a comp for an alienware pc and i hope i win.

Yeah, my current PC is a Dell p4. (I dropped Dell and just bought all the parts separately for the new PC, which is the one I'm going to OC). In fact, the video card I lost was running on this dell, and it was lost because the dell PSU is too weak (320 or 380W, can't remember). I don't think I'll have trouble with that again, since I got myself a 600W PSU for my new comp. Damn, I can't wait for the parts I've bought to arrive so that I can get to working that new piece of silicon...

a bit Off-Topic, but here's the new case I've got (only it's silver/black, not black):
    http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/su...urai/index.php

here's a pic of it
    http://store1.yimg.com/I/amamax_1849_2997713
    Last edited by Solar; June 08, 2005 at 04:36 PM.

very nice! i like custom case's, more imaginative as well as practical, like OC'ing

lol tryin not to go off topic

Pent Up Rage, you seemed to know a lot about this stuff, so here what i have. I overclocked my 9800 Pro (ATI) to 9800 XT clock/mem speed a while ago. I downloaded the appropriate flashrom for it, but after running the card on the new stats, it started to act up. (screen screwed up, ctds). So i switched back to the 9800 pro stats and even though my graphics card is running ok (kinda slow) , i can only raise it to 8X AGP speed if I raise the voltage to the AGP on my motherboard. (0.1 V) . Also have a brand new PSU, rated 550 W, it's a brand name, i can't think of its name right now (and too lazy to move things right now)

Now, is this the motherboard's fault or the card?
    I'll be building a new system soon and i wonder if the card is damaged (runs stable with the extra voltage) or the motherboard is screwed?
    I will get rid of this motherboard anyway, but i like the card, so I wonder if i managed to damage the card by oc-ing or just my motherboard.

Hey archer.
    I downloaded the appropriate flashrom for it, but after running the card on the new stats, it started to act up.
    Did you uninstall the drivers before flashing? Or atleast reinstall them after the flash?

Now, is this the motherboard's fault or the card?
    Almost definitely the graphics card. I believe the XT's have a slight voltage bump over the Pro. It is possible to have done damage to the gpu. (But the chances are slim)
    And can you tell what the gpu temps are? I don't know if the Pro's have temp sensors, I've always run Nvidia cards.
    Overclocking isn't going to kill the card. The HEAT from overclocking is the killer.

So, drivers and temps. Check those first.

BTW- Skymod is AWESOME. Just the right touch the battles needed.
    Last edited by Pent uP Rage; June 08, 2005 at 06:47 PM.

here

I had a 9500PRO and it did have a temp sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar
    I had a 9500PRO and it did have a temp sensor.
    as i read, the 9500Pro is better than the 9600 or 97 pro. It some reason, everybody favors the 9500pro. Easy to overclock or something?

to pent up rage: I did uninstall the driver for it and i did use the right flash rom for it, but now it's been restored to 9800pro; stock settings (clock).

WEll, anyway, i'll be getting a new system (i'm building it). i'm interested of getting a AMD 64, at least a 3000, but probably higher.
    this one look mighty fine for me. I just need to get a nice motherboard. Any recommendations?

The 9500PRO is better than the 9600 and 9600PRO, but NOT better than the 9700PRO. the 9600 series was launched after the 9500 to bring down production costs, but it also brought down speed.

if you can find a venice core processor, I'd recommend it over the Winchester core processor you've linked. I've heard there is a new type of AMD cores coming out (San Diego or something), but I really don't know the specifics on it. I've just bought a 3500+ Venice core (3500+ seems to be the best cost-benefit, at the moment)

as for the MoBo, The one I've just bought is a "Chaintech VNF4 nForce4 Socket 939 ATX". it's got a PCI-e Slot for my 6600GT, plus all the other usual stuff, and it's at a good price.

I agree with Solar. If you can find a Venice core (and you can...here ) do for that. They tend to be a better chip. If you're going to OC it at all, and of course you are, you'll get more out of it than the Winchester. 3Ghz is possible.

As for a motherboard, the DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D(SLi) comes highly recommended. Best overclocker, better general quality, more features/capability.

As for the graphics card:

I've only done two ROM flashes on my cards(5900U->5950 and 6800GT->Ultra), so my knowledge may be a little limited by my experience, or lack thereof, in this area. The 5900U acted sort of the same way. I figured out it was the driver set I was using though.
    These guys may be better suited for your graphics question. That's where I went when the time came to flash my 6800. I didn't think I'd EVER get it right.

Post back, I would like to know if you get it figured out.

here

Thanks about all the info Solar and PentUP, I'll be looking into those options you guys referring me.

If you're going to OC it at all, and of course you are,
    LOL. You know what? YOu can give me the fastest chip on the planet, within a couple of days, i would be looking for a way to bump it up in speed!

So, my new processor arrived (AMD 65 3500+ Venice core), and I've been OCing it. I've already gotten the FSB to 230mhz (from 200mhz), 5mhz at a time, to a total CPU cycles of 2530mhz (from 2200mhz). I'm doing it all on stock cooling (plus, I have 3 case coolers installed). the CPU temp goes at a steady 43°C when under load (I'm using SuperPI for this test, as suggested in another forum), 36° when idle.

should I keep on raising the FSB? will the CPU temp of 43°C reduce the lifetime of my CPU (it's running at 40-41°C under load, at stock speed)?

oh, another question: do you think I should install and use that CPUIdle proggie?
    Last edited by Solar; June 19, 2005 at 09:27 PM.