Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Highest OC on TWC

Dan_Grr's Avatar Dan the Man

Thanks anyway
    Of all the disorders of the soul, envy is the only one no one confesses to. - Plutarch, c. A.D. 46-120

Under the wise patronage of cunobelin

@PPR : You haven't answer my question .....

how about yours? what is your rig?

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

I spend money on new hardware because I LIKE to
    No, because you can hehehe...

If a poor bastard fries his CPU trying to overclock and doesn't have enough dough to replace it he is screwed... :cool

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@Feb 18 2005, 05:22 AM

If a poor bastard fries his CPU trying to overclock and doesn't have enough dough to replace it he is screwed... :cool
    :>< You just turned this poor Uni student off OCing for a very long time (At least a week).

Possibly 2.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

@PPR : You haven&#39;t answer my question .....

how about yours? what is your rig?
    Sorry, yes I am am an active member of the following:
    Extremeoverclocking.com
    Overclockersclub.com
    ProCooling.com?
    Virtual-Octane.net-my "home" forum. #3 in Top 10 highest Intel overclock on the site.
    XtremeSystems?

...Among others that I just lurk.

My system is:
    ABIT IC7G Max II
    P4 3.0c @ 4.0Ghz
    1Gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (267Mhz/1:1)
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    80Gb Maxtor HD(programs)/40Gb WesternDigital(Boot)
    DVD+/- RW
    Custom Watercooling

If a poor bastard fries his CPU trying to overclock and doesn&#39;t have enough dough to replace it he is screwed...
    Yes, he is screwed. But....
    what kills a cpu isn&#39;t overclocking it. It&#39;s the HEAT caused by overclocking. Hence the reason for big heatsinks, water cooling, phase change coolers, etc.
    If one does his homework and does it right, one DOESN&#39;T END UP W/ A FRIED CHIP. Ask me, I&#39;ve never fried one. I got LOTS of friends that have played games on an overclocked PC everyday for years....and they&#39;ve never fried one either.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

No, that isn't a banana

have you dabbled in anything other than water? i&#39;ve thought about it, but not sure if its worth it. i think i hit the limits w/ my cpu/gpu - not sure if anything will help me get more out of them.
    Oc&#39;ing (along with case modding) is more addicting than any game might be...

If I went anything more than water it would have to be Phase Change cooling. (Basically, think refrigerator for your cpu) Peltier or TEC (Thermo-electric Cooling) is VERY effective, but VERY dangerous. When you hear of overclockers literally blowing something up, this is usually what they were doing.

So, If not water, I&#39;d recommend Phase Change. It&#39;s WAAAAY expensive but you get cpu temps of
    -60C. That&#39;s a little much for me right now. I get GREAT temps from my watercooling setup.
    I plumbed in an oil cooler that I can stick out a window if I want to get REALLY cold(&#39;til summer at least *tongue* )But by then I should have a Mach II<fingers crossed>

here

So, If not water, I&#39;d recommend Phase Change. It&#39;s WAAAAY expensive but you get cpu temps of
    -60C. That&#39;s a little much for me right now. I get GREAT temps from my watercooling setup.
    Or you could just save some money and buy a faster processor... :cool

If one does his homework and does it right, one DOESN&#39;T END UP W/ A FRIED CHIP.
    Of course, that is why i always try to refrain would be overclockers and make them think before they do something really extreme and burn a hole on the mobo... *tongue*

&quot;Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil.&quot;
    Stewie, Family Guy

No, that isn't a banana

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@Feb 18 2005, 06:32 PM
    Or you could just save some money and buy a faster processor... :cool

ah but where&#39;s the fun in that...to me, part of the appeal (read: addiciton) of overclocking is testing the limits of your hardware.

Yeah, I got a &#036;150 chip that will SMOKE any &#036;400 chip. The only thing that can come close is an AMD FX chip and have you seen the prices on those things?

Or you could just save some money and buy a faster processor...
    The current processors available can barely match mine. Intel made a SMALL handful of 3.0c chips in March &#39;04 based on the ES (Engineering Sample) architechture with 30 capacitors instead of just 12(like normal). There are two certain steppings of 3.0 that retained the ES architechture. SL6WK and SL6UH(I think). They are very rare and hard to find. And people that do have them aren&#39;t too quick to give them up.
    They run at 1.45V stock, compared to 1.5-1.55V stock for most Intels=cooler
    Overclocked to 3.6 it has a HIGHER throughput than an Intel 3.8=it&#39;s faster at a slower speed than a faster chip is supposed to be.

All on a pieced together watercooling system that cost me less than &#036;100 to build. With a Phase Change cooler, I could be looking in the neighborhood of 4.4-4.5 Ghz. How many others have spent hundreds upgrading? I&#39;m still years ahead with my &#036;150 chip.
    THAT&#39;S why chip manufacturers don&#39;t wantyou to overclock. They want to sell you another chip...or hey, why not an all new computer? It&#39;s called preplanned obsolescence. If you drive a 1978 or later vehicle you should be VERY familiar with it(unless it&#39;s a Honda *tongue* )
    Depending on the core (northwood/prescott) al P4s are the same. a normal 2.6c is exactly the same as a 3.0c with a higher multiplier. Basically, it&#39;s overclocked...from the factory.

-EDIT-BTW, Overclocking has become so accepted, ATi is holding an overclocking competition

here

ATi is holding an overclocking competition
    ah yes the "burn your card and buy a new one" thingy *tongue*

ah but where&#39;s the fun in that...
    No fun, granted... *wink*

Stewie, Family Guy

Whatever, man. Don&#39;t come flame me for my hobby. If you&#39;re not overclocked or don&#39;t care, why do you keep posting?
    You&#39;ve successfully hijacked my thread. Everything you&#39;ve had to say in this thread has been negative...and ALL just quotes of other people and some smart a&#036;&#036; comment. You haven&#39;t offered any real constructive comments in this thread at ALL. You are commenting on something you OBVIOUSLY know very little about. THAT&#39;s why all you can do is quote, and comment. And I can&#39;t forget the cute smileys at the end too.

ATi is holding an overclocking competition

ah yes the "burn your card and buy a new one" thingy

Here&#39;s a good example...you just read the line and didn&#39;t even bother to click the link and read the article I&#39;ll bet. If you HAD, you&#39;d know that ATi and "partners" is providing ALL the equipment for the competition.

and here...You&#39;re a "Praetor", you should recognize this:
    4) Spamming, flaming, and off topic remarks in any Forum will not be tolerated. Same goes for product or site commercials, unless permitted by the administrators or by a Forum section(i.e. Useful links). Members that obviously spam and fill the forum with trash only to raise their rank will be punished with 0 post count.

here

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

So i OC my cpu from 2.66@133 too 3.4ghz@170 withn kingston3200 hyperx 2.5-3-3-8 but it was instable, because of the memory wich were at 340mhz at 2.9volts.The mobo is gigabyte ga-8ik1100rev2.0 and 300w powersuply, still i have to buy ne case, an thermaltake and a new powersuply by antec to really have the conditions for OC.And my cpu i must chage also since is kind of dead since i oc at 3.6 and i thought i lost him.Anyway great system you have there, the only thing i could recomend is a new hdd, i recently bought an seagate barracuda 7200,8mb buffer,s-ata also with native command queing(NCQ) wich i recomend it to you.

and here...You&#39;re a "Praetor", you should recognize this:
    Oh well mr. PuR will please be so kind as to tell me what do you mean by that? Did i brake any of the rules? Yes i did not read the article and i think it is dandy that ATI is making such a publicity stunt for themselves, but so what? How is that competition not encouraging missinformed peeps to overclock and toast their cards in the process? It&#39;s the new market trend and ATI is capitalizing
    on it just like they should.
    I have nothing against OC and i do it myself but i will never encourage someone who doesn&#39;t know what he is doing to OC because everybody knows where that leads too.

And where did i flame you? geesh .... talk about hypersensitivity... :whistle

You haven&#39;t offered any real constructive comments in this thread at ALL. You are commenting on something you OBVIOUSLY know very little about.
    Ok... Glad you decided that on yourself then... The comments i made was to offer advice to a peep that obviously did not know enough to start OCing. Now if you are done acting all queen victoria like we can resume our discussion on overclocked mice... Ya know, you really have to get those extra DPI for counter-strike...

And my cpu i must chage also since is kind of dead since i oc at 3.6 and i thought i lost him.
    I rest my case...

Stewie, Family Guy

Originally posted by napoleonic@Feb 16 2005, 10:09 AM
    I can get 28k, 13.5k and 6k (even more) in 3dmarks....(considered small for overclockers. especially hard-core overclockers, I&#39;m not like that)

but for daily use, I don&#39;t want and don&#39;t need to forced my hardware to working extra...
    Totaly pointless unless you tell us what 3dmark you where using. I myself get 5600p in 3dmark 05, but my system is not over-clocked.

all queen victoria
    hahahaha. That&#39;a a first for me.
    They don&#39;t call me "Pent >uP Rage" for nothing :grin Sorry PR, if I got carried away. I realize, in retrospect, what you were trying to do. It was quite a day of days for me.

And my cpu i must chage also since is kind of dead since i oc at 3.6 and i thought i lost him.

I rest my case...
    I have since posted a guide

resume our discussion on overclocked mice... Ya know, you really have to get those extra DPI for counter-strike...*
    I have a mod for THAT too *tongue*

here

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

What i wanted to say about is that too much is dangerous, now i have it from 2.66 to 3.06 and runs perfect and very stable, i really don&#39;t see what&#39;s the point to oc at high frequnces since it would be stable and the lifetime of the cpu will be reduced.And for games it deosn&#39;t give too much perfomance, maybe at coding and rendering but for games there&#39;s too little perfoamce, you get more performance if you oc your gfx.

Originally posted by Pent uP Rage@Feb 22 2005, 06:56 PM

resume our discussion on overclocked mice... Ya know, you really have to get those extra DPI for counter-strike...*
    I have a mod for THAT too *tongue*
    You have an overclocked mouse? :mellow

I&#39;ve heard about that, but is there a difference? I mean everybody can understand OC for performance but an OCed mouse... :huh

you get more performance if you oc your gfx.
    That depends mostly on what is the bottleneck on your computer.

Stewie, Family Guy

I dont HAVE one, I just know how to do it. *wink* But it only works on pre-XP OS&#39;s and PS/2 mice. But it DOES make a difference in smoothness on older systems.
    Pretty pointless for a USB mouse. I use an MX510 anyway.

here

Pretty pointless for a USB mouse.
    thought so...

Stewie, Family Guy