Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Navies

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Default Navies

First of all I would like to say great job with the mod so far. Looks top notch!
    I was wondering if Navies were going to be featured in the mod. IMHO Gondor should have a Roman/ Byzantine based navy as the books mention the Corsairs having "Dromonds" (Byzantine Dromon) And the Corsairs used basically converted Gondorian Navy Ships. For Rohan maybe you can have "boats" like the Barbarian factions in RTW. Elves should get the best navy for obvious reasons. I dont know about Isengard though. If Umbar is not going to be an independent faction then maybe use Corsairs as the Mordor navy.

Default Re: Navies

Corsairs are part of Harad I believe... atleast thats what I thought people were saying.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Yeah, Umbar had been conquered by Harad about 1000 years before the War of the Ring. Although I do agree with the rest of your points Nikos. I think the Corsair should have the highest attack out of all the navies in the mod

Yep. I love the corsairs for some reason. I always have...

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Yeah, Umbar had been conquered by Harad about 1000 years before the War of the Ring. Although I do agree with the rest of your points Nikos. I think the Corsair should have the highest attack out of all the navies in the mod
    Your right. In the third Age I don't think the Elves had much of a navy. I was thinking first age Teleri ships!

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

We did discuss navies somewhere in the forums but with it's own thread it can be discussed in a more organized manner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

I agree with the Elves having the best navy, however they do have to be very limted in their recruitment, just as with the other Elven units. I think next to the Elves the Gondorians and the Corsairs should have the best navies. Rohan should indeed have very limited and weak ships, just like the Dwarves. Mordor might be able to recruit some sort of mercenary Corsairs or something, maybe make it a special unit that can only be recruited if the faction ownes Umbar?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos_Rouvelas View Post
    And the Corsairs used basically converted Gondorian Navy Ships.
    Really? Might I ask where you base that on?

-EDIT- Nevermind, I did some research and found the reason
    Last edited by Iustinianos; June 10, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

Quote Originally Posted by Iustinianos View Post
    I agree with the Elves having the best navy, however they do have to be very limted in their recruitment, just as with the other Elven units. I think next to the Elves the Gondorians and the Corsairs should have the best navies. Rohan should indeed have very limited and weak ships, just like the Dwarves. Mordor might be able to recruit some sort of mercenary Corsairs or something, maybe make it a special unit that can only be recruited if the faction ownes Umbar?

Really? Might I ask where you base that on?
    Yes Elves should have the best navy. Their ships were better build and in some cases protected by types of elven magic. As you said they shouldn't have big numbers seeing as most ships were used to bring Elves to Valinor.

As I said, I think the Corsairs should have the highest attack of all the navies in Middle-earth because they used so many weapons to fight there enemies. They were very good knife fighters and even used kinds of fire bombs against other ships. I think they even invaded the Grey Havens, or was that made up?

I think the Corsairs of Umbar should be mercenaries of Mordor and recruitable by the Haradrim from Umbar.

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

I think that Mithlond and Umbar should be major ports that play a huge role in navies. If you can Control Umbar you should get Corsair ships and units for the faciot that controls it, because they are pirates for hire.

Mithlond should also have special Ships. ,but due to the fact elves aren't really hireable you should get slightly lower grade elf ships. That are only available to good factions. bad factions just produce Corsairs there.

Also Mithlond and Umbar should be able to trade anywhere in the map. If that's possible. To make their importance known.

If Mithlond is captured it should cause negative happiness bonuses in elf cities.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Pelargir should also be able to produce special types of ships for Gondor.
    "...Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.
    " - Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Glorfindel's Avatar Centenarius

(Νικο, εισαι ελληνας?)

ELVEN NAVY FTW!
    Glorfindel, the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

Y_filip's Avatar Tiro

I think nation that have navy is just only Elves and the crosair of Umbar
    For Gondor Or Rohan, dwarv(sorry for rwrong spelling ) that capture one of region of crosair umbars or elves in the can make navy armies

Quote Originally Posted by Australia View Post
    Pelargir should also be able to produce special types of ships for Gondor.
    that wouldn't really work because if we are going to give Gondor 3rd best navy it really wouldn't make sense.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
    (Νικο, εισαι ελληνας?)

ELVEN NAVY FTW!
    Nai Vre! ZHTO ELLAS!

I think Pelargir should be represented as Gondor's major port as well.

I think Dol Amroth should be Gondor's major post

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I think Dol Amroth should be Gondor's major post
    On EOA it says Pelargir is Gondor's greatest haven.

"The greatest and most ancient of the havens of Gondor, on the northern shore of the wide River Anduin in the land of Lebennin."

Pelargir was just an area around a bay(can't remember the name of the bay), not a port. Dol Amroth was the biggest city in Gondor except Minas Tirith and it was a port city

During the Second Age, the region had a port used by Elves to return to their home in Valinor, in the land of Aman in the far west

I think Gondor should not have that major of a port. Maybe have it start with Dockyards. and that's all.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Glorfindel's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos_Rouvelas View Post
    Nai Vre! ZHTO ELLAS!
    xaxa!

Dol Amroth is the b e s t !!!
    Glorfindel, the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast