Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: the defences of istanbul!

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: the defences of istanbul!

Ah, I wish I could visit...
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Default Re: the defences of istanbul!

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    finally sorted some pics from my time in turkey late last year and early this year..
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

the theodosian walls in all their glory...

begun during the rule of emperor theodosian the great (while he was still a child) the last tuler of a united roman empire.. the walls stood unbroken by enemies for more than a thousand years. they withstood half hearted attacks from huns (who had heard they had falled down after an earthquake) avars, bulgars, arabs, and many more peoples... only to fall after repeated attempts to turkish canon. the walls were solid enough, that they were repaired and maintained by the turks until the 19th century.

recent repairwork funded by unesco has failed to match the strength of the original walls.. in some cases during the 1999 earthquake, the repaired sections collapsed to reveal the original walls underneath.. i was in istanbul for the coldest part of winter.. so sorry that the pics are dull and grey.. trust me, it was sub zero cold the day i went out there..

repaired bastion showing the outer 2 walls (inner one not repaired)

looking towards the east

Gate of the Rhegium - the red gate... built under the patronage of the reds.. a chariot team of some financial clout.

another shot of the gate of the Rhegium

outer two walls repaired.. the inner wall can be seen peeking over the top.

inner two walls... this section burned out by vandalistic teenagers who were making it their playground..

i'll put up some pics of the aya sofia etc next if people like.. let me know if you want to add me to your flickr contacts.

Would it be possible to permit your work for use in the promotion of IG mod? They would be reworked of course, it's primarily the angels of your photos that are impressive as well as the colors.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234