Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

One is glad to be of service

sorry to be a pain, but im having abit of a problem working out exactly what i need to do and whether i need the installer.

i have everything unpacked already, so where do i start?

i have it all sorted now

looks like i've got it all installed now, so you can ignore my question now. i had abit of a blonde moment and was right clicking on the crusades batch file!!
    but i figured that was wrong and there must be another batch file in ur attachment.

anyway this looks really good, thanks alot for what was in the end, apart from the start lol, a really easy guide to follow.

this must be the only game, that as the years pass, gets better and better!! this type of thing should add a whole extra level of strategy, just got to work out now where the best places for them would be on the map!!

is there anyway to get rid of the free upkeep slots?

thankyou for the resource!
    Last edited by Ishan; August 14, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: double post

Blog Entries

The upkeep slots for the forts are at the beginning of the descr_strat file. Simply remove the line or put a semi-colon in front of it ( ; ), that will prevent the game from reading that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The upkeep slots for the forts are at the beginning of the descr_strat file. Simply remove the line or put a semi-colon in front of it ( ; ), that will prevent the game from reading that line.
    d'oh!! i must've passed that about a billion times!!

do you have any idea how the ai treats the forts? for example will they defend them, or will they just leave them empty and forget about them?

Blog Entries

It depends on the strategic position of the fort. As far as I have seen (the one in the north of TATW's Orc mountains, close to river crossings in the Britain kingdom campaign) that's what happens.

ok, thanks for all your help again!

i'll make sure they all start with garrisons and see what happens!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Is it feasibly possible to change a whole settlement (example huge_city) and use a Fort instead in game?

Blog Entries

Not possible, completely different code. You can't do anything with a fort except put characters into it. It cannot be used as a replacement for a settlement. The only thing you can use of it instead of a settlement is the stratmap model.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Not possible, completely different code. You can't do anything with a fort except put characters into it. It cannot be used as a replacement for a settlement. The only thing you can use of it instead of a settlement is the stratmap model.
    Thanks for answer mate, i have been trying all day to activate as well!! lol +rep

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Is it feasibly possible to change a whole settlement (example huge_city) and use a Fort instead in game?
    if you mean on battlemap - e.g. the thing that appears when you have a battle at that settlement within the campaign - then yes it's quite easy to do - it's just a matter of adding new .worldpkgdesc's to mod-folder's settlement folder, that say for faction 'x' huge city looks up stone_fort_c.world etc....

EDIT; though there are complications - changing all huge cities to stone fort is OK - but the ladder /siege engine height is set for for all huge cities across all cultures - so if you try changing only one faction / culture you can end up with mismatch of siege equipment heights

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar
    s it feasibly possible to change a whole settlement (example huge_city) and use a Fort instead in game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    Er that was the first thing we tried a couple of years back..

Main thing to watch out for is the walls and ladders need to be same height for equivalent models across everything at that level (eg Huge City uses the largest walls and largest ladders. Sticking a stone fort in its place would mean the ladders were out of sync unless you change all of them to use that height of ladders/walls...However main point is yes you can do that.

Blog Entries

Just to clarify, I should have indicated that I was referring to the in game functionality like recruiting\building\trading etc.

Just to clarify, I should have indicated that I was referring to the in game functionality like recruiting\building\trading etc.
    Why do you think that's relevant to the question about whether you could replace a whole settlement with a stone fort? If the fort used is simply renamed as say a city then the game functionality is unchanged.

Blog Entries

I understood that he wanted to use a fort instead of a settlement on the strat map. Strat map buildings are defined via descr_strat, there is no way you can use a fort entry there as a regular settlement.
    On the battle map there is no question that it can be done as it is a matter of changing the model (nasty job as it is by what I gather), not the game code itself.

I understood that he wanted to use a fort instead of a settlement on the strat map. Strat map buildings are defined via descr_strat, there is no way you can use a fort entry there as a regular settlement.
    On the battle map there is no question that it can be done as it is a matter of changing the model (nasty job as it is by what I gather), not the game code itself.
    To do that you amend the model name and shove it in the residences folder. Nothing to do with descr_strat.
    That way you see it as that particular settlement level on the strat map.

To replace for battlemap you change the package info or simply rename the model to the one you are replacing (depends what you are trying to achieve). Problem is ladders though.

Doing that would replace the settlement with the new model for that particular settlement level. The rest you control really via EDB (i.e. whether it upgrades/changes etc). All pretty simple stuff.

Hope that helps explain.

Blog Entries

I am not good at explaining what I meant here.

My view was from the descr_strat - there you have an entry for forts (at the bottom of the file) and another for the core_building (within the settlement entries). These are not interchangeable. Everything else is.

Too long since I have written a tutorial, I guess, too many assumptions on my part when trying to explain something.

HELLEKIN's Avatar Miles

hello guys...i´m new here,this mood Stone Forts 0.001 is only for kingdoms?Is there a mood like this for vanilla?I realy would like to have a stone fort in strat and batle maps...but in my opinnion in the batle maps it shouldnt be a very big or complicated fort if so in my opinion there were no big diference betwen castles and their upgrades and forts can you understand my point of view?To me...forts should be more simple to make some diference betwen forts and castles....square forts with one or two towers or round in my opinion will be much more close to reality.Even the castles....here in Portugal there are many castles romanic,gotic from templar build and are very diferent from the ones used by mtw2...in the game are more refined ,more closed from arquitecture of xvii or xviii century then x centure or xi,and this in my opinion takes off the medieval atmosphere of the game.
    Homo Homini Lupus

Blog Entries

Creating new battle models (buildings) is about the most complicated thing to do in modding.

I don't think you can apply this too vanilla, my installer copies files from kingdom campaigns.

HELLEKIN's Avatar Miles

hello gigantus...sorry to insist in this...but i realy wanted to have this forts in my vanilla......if i copy the files from kingdoms to my vanilla...the ones that are needed...doesn´t work?sorry if it is a noob question ...can you help?i would like to change that ugly camps for stone forts in strat and batle map and your mood are the perfect choice .many thanks in advance
    Homo Homini Lupus

Blog Entries

The basic installation (non kingdoms) does not have the files necessary to place stone forts.