Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

1. No
    2. You can place the standard forts with Geomod but you will still need to edit the descr_campaign_db file to make the forts permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    1. No
    2. You can place the standard forts with Geomod but you will still need to edit the descr_campaign_db file to make the forts permanent.
    1) Hahaha ok! (I remember this question time ago, but maybe the answer was diferent this time, 1 or 2 year latter.
    2) So then I can put all the forts that I want, using geomod, then switch them to permanent in the campaign_db file latter. Is this true?

3) Another question... If I want use wood forts (There are wood forts?), ME_a, ME_b, Stone.... I can put them directly on geomod or again I need to switch them to what I want latter? Because I want to use different ones.
    4) There is a fort cap?

PS: Sorry if u dont understand any question. I can reformulate it if needed. Very asleep now.

Thanks Gig!

Blog Entries

2 - correct
    3 - wooden forts cannot be preplaced, only the stone forts
    4 - no cap, but they cannot touch settlements, ports and land bridges (green arrows)

Thanks Gig; no more questions sir.

Blog Entries

Melvasul's Avatar Biarchus

Can
    Construction cost
    Number of free upkeep
    be edited?

Blog Entries

fort cost - descr_cultures
    Code:
    fort                data/models_strat/residences/SE_fort_buildings.CAS,                        fort_roman
    fort_cost            500
    free upkeep - descr_strat
    Code:
    marian_reforms_disabled
    rebelling_characters_active
    gladiator_uprising_disabled
    night_battles_enabled
    show_date_as_turns
    brigand_spawn_value 75
    pirate_spawn_value 250
    free_upkeep_forts 0

BallButton's Avatar Foederatus

Followed everything but not working, i just want it to work for vanilla m2tw main campaign

Blog Entries

I am guessing somewhere along the line you made an error. Can you describe the 'not working' circumstances? But first of all let me ask if you are doing all this in a mod folder? Because it will not work inside the main game's directory unless it's made mod compatible, which is a pain and not advisable.

Rather use my basic mod set up and put the stone forts in there if you don't have a mod at hand.

Yea, I'm reinstalling M2TW and try to do it through your setup as you've advised me on steam. (yes thats me LOL)

But to answer the question, yes I am doing it in a mod folder but for some reason...

Is it advisable to do the papal guards issue too in a mod folder as well?

I am guessing somewhere along the line you made an error. Can you describe the 'not working' circumstances? But first of all let me ask if you are doing all this in a mod folder? Because it will not work inside the main game's directory unless it's made mod compatible, which is a pain and not advisable.

Rather use my basic mod set up and put the stone forts in there if you don't have a mod at hand.
    OK everything is working except for the stone towers! would love to get your advice on that!

Blog Entries

Stonetowers not working, as in: it's still the original ones?

Every culture has it's own model for their watch towers. You may have just applied it to one culture - the ne_watchtower.cas file needs to be referenced for every culture in the descr_cultures.txt file for that to work fro every faction. This file is not provided by the installation, which means only northern_euopean factions will have the stone tower. See the relevant entry line in descr_culture, copy it to the other cultures for all to have the this stone tower:
    Code:
    watchtower            data/models_strat/residences/NE_watchtower.CAS
    And yes, you should always do your editing in a mod folder, the unpacked files will serve then as back up if something goes wrong (always make back ups of your edited files as you proceed nevertheless).
    My mod set up is actually the grand campaign with a number of fixes (see log) so you are not missing out on anything if you use it for your editing and playing.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 26, 2021 at 11:17 PM.

Stonetowers not working, as in: it's still the original ones?

Every culture has it's own model for their watch towers. You may have just applied it to one culture - the ne_watchtower.cas file needs to be referenced for every culture in the descr_cultures.txt file for that to work fro every faction. This file is not provided by the installation, which means only northern_euopean factions will have the stone tower. See the relevant entry line in descr_culture, copy it to the other cultures for all to have the this stone tower:
    Code:
    watchtower            data/models_strat/residences/NE_watchtower.CAS

And yes, you should always do your editing in a mod folder, the unpacked files will serve then as back up if something goes wrong (always make back ups of your edited filesas you proceed nevertheless).
    My mod set up is actually the grand campaign with a number of fixes (see log) so you are not missing out on anything if you use it for your editing and playing.
    Ok thank you so much! This definitely breathed some new life into my modding urges

Blog Entries

If in doubt: post your query. If you can't find a related tutorial to post it in then simply open a thread in the related Q&A workshop.

Shameless self promotion: click the 'creating a world' link in my signature to get a list of my considerable collection of tutorials, most of them relate to strat map issues and mapping in general.

I know this is a bit unrelated to the mod, but I wanna ask if you can expend the zone of control of forts? I've placed one in front of the bridge to Rome and somehow the enemy was able to get on the bridge, this is the same for several other narrow passes as well. And yes this is related to my other post about adding more mountain passes

Blog Entries

The ZoC is hard coded - distance of one movement point. Enemies can however move through it one movement point per turn.

Icon5 Re: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

The ZoC is hard coded - distance of one movement point. Enemies can however move through it one movement point per turn.
    Just so I understand correctly: does this tool work with Stainless Steel 6.4 Bug Compilation 1.27?

I'm making a submod of it and I don't know if this tool will just throw forts randomly around the map, crash because it is not for SS 6.4, or if I get to select exactly where I want to put them (the stone forts, that is) from a ready made file.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The new and easy way
    Download and run the installer. Then read the ReadMe file carefully and follow it. That's it.
    If you check the 'new and easy' instructions you will come across the mentioning that this is for preplaced forts. In other words: Forts need to be entered manually in the descr_strat file.

It is unlikely that it will lead to a crash, but then again there is the advice in the instruction as well to check for existing files. Most likely the descr_campaign_db files will exist hence the advice to 'adjust' it.

Summary: follow the instructions and you will be fine. If you want to be extra careful then simply make a backup of the mods\SS6.3 directory before trying this out.

If you check the 'new and easy' instructions you will come across the mentioning that this is for preplaced forts. In other words: Forts need to be entered manually in the descr_strat file.

It is unlikely that it will lead to a crash, but then again there is the advice in the instruction as well to check for existing files. Most likely the descr_campaign_db files will exist hence the advice to 'adjust' it.

Summary: follow the instructions and you will be fine. If you want to be extra careful then simply make a backup of the mods\SS6.3 directory before trying this out.
    Oh crap! I only backed up my data folder, which contains all the changes I have made. I'm not sure what or where the directory for SS 6.3 is.

I remember years ago manually placing stone forts on the map, but I forgot how I first got it up and going. I ran the installer, but the read me is still confusing. I don't know much about the export_descr_campaign.dweij[wvm file. I just hope it works since the stone forts are crucial to my submod.

I will see if I can start placing them today. I am still not sure if the installer already put forts and towers on the map or just set things up so that I could do it myself. If the installer did it, the game may crash. I could erase all the forts it placed and start over hopefully. Guess I'll find out.

Thanks!

Ok, so I did what the "easy way" said and it appears that it worked out ok. Great!

I tested Jerusalem and they built two stone forts (of course, I raised the price of those to 5 grand afterwards). Check it out:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forts.jpg