Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

My usual tip: apply this tut from step three. Solves a lot of problems.

As to descr_strat entries: check on the first page in the 'old and hard' way, step 8, on how to do it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 30, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

HELLEKIN's Avatar Miles

hello gigantus,is there a way to use or transform your mood for vanilla?My goal is to change the wooden forts...finish them and when a famili member coinstruct a fort even in enemy territory it would be stone...is there a way?i just content myself with a simple square fort .Many thanks in advance
    Homo Homini Lupus

Blog Entries

You should be able to use it for vanilla - but you will need the files first and they are only in kingdoms. I can't recall if stone forts are buildable by a family member, but I think not.

HELLEKIN's Avatar Miles

Sorry my persistence gigantus but what files i must copy to vanilla from kingdoms?Is from what mood...crusades or british_isles?I´ll apreciate your help...a very long time i´ve been trying to have stone forts in my mood.Many thanks in advance
    Homo Homini Lupus

Blog Entries

I forgot I had made a complete installation which includes all the necessary files: check the first post for it.

Hi man,

I want to know if I can use this submod with tatw 3.1.with the custom settlement witheout problem????

Blog Entries

TATW 3.1 has got stone forts already installed as a far as I know.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Yes, they are. Check the bottom of the descr_strat.txt.

I'm not sure if all fort are present in the mod.. I know there are fort in mod, but can't see middle eastern type.... only the basic kingdoms fort...

After some verification I can say 2 me fort are not installed...

can I copy all mod into tatw 3.1 witheout problem with custom settlement???

Need Help please??
    Last edited by Natanael; February 23, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

I believe when I was reading it they are all NE as in Northern European. If you want Middle Eastern, You will have to find this blockset, its name, and change the descr_strat accordingly. Some cultures will revert to NE as they don't have any of their own.

In this mod there is 7 fort.... in tatw in think the 2 models of me fort are not implemented... btw only 5 fort are playable!!

what file are need to copy into my tatw3.1 folder for have me fort a and me fort b???
    Last edited by Natanael; February 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Tried removing the comments to see if they show up?

Blog Entries

Simply run the full installer in the first post and then compare the folders with TATW - that way you should easily find which files need copying.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Er that was the first thing we tried a couple of years back..

Main thing to watch out for is the walls and ladders need to be same height for equivalent models across everything at that level (eg Huge City uses the largest walls and largest ladders. Sticking a stone fort in its place would mean the ladders were out of sync unless you change all of them to use that height of ladders/walls...However main point is yes you can do that.
    well here is what i want to do,
    i want to replace the Motte & Baily and Wooden Castle with some stone fort battle models. will the ladders still cause a problem in this situation?

if that is not possible as an alternative i would have my castle battle models be replaced with stone fortes since i think that they share the same size and so therefore the same siege size. however i will have only some of the culture's battle models replaced by these stone forts. for example NE will have fort A,B,C and SE will have D, E while Teutonic will have ME. the rest I will leave as they were and in the descr_strat will assign the culture to each castle settlement.

there are a few question that i wonder about the alternative solution above, how many battle_model cultures are there? can i assign multiple stone fortes that "castle"? since it could get boring fighting in the same battle model for every castle level settlement of that particular culture.

thanks for the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    well here is what i want to do,
    i want to replace the Motte & Baily and Wooden Castle with some stone fort battle models. will the ladders still cause a problem in this situation?
    yes, well at least you need to change towns which share the motte & bailey level, and large towns which share the wooden castle level, to the same thing - as they can't be separated by EDB / desc_walls - if you don't mind changing the towns as well then you could do it.

if that is not possible as an alternative i would have my castle battle models be replaced with stone fortes since i think that they share the same size and so therefore the same siege size. however i will have only some of the culture's battle models replaced by these stone forts. for example NE will have fort A,B,C and SE will have D, E while Teutonic will have ME. the rest I will leave as they were and in the descr_strat will assign the culture to each castle settlement.

there are a few question that i wonder about the alternative solution above, how many battle_model cultures are there? can i assign multiple stone fortes that "castle"? since it could get boring fighting in the same battle model for every castle level settlement of that particular culture.

thanks for the answers
    yes, stone forts, castle, large castle, and large city have the same size wall - so for ladder problem they are interchangeable. For campaign map battles you can assign the battlemap settlement model by faction (by introducing faction specific .worldpkgdesc). They are only little files so while its a pain to create lots of them, it's practical to do and distribute.

Custom battles with settlement are only selectable at culture level, and changing what turns up for that is a bit more complicated due to problems with some hard coded elements and mod folder not being read first... If you re-name the cultures that have hard coded defaults then you can have as many battle_model cultures as total cultures (can't remember the max 7?)

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    yes, well at least you need to change towns which share the motte & bailey level, and large towns which share the wooden castle level, to the same thing - as they can't be separated by EDB / desc_walls - if you don't mind changing the towns as well then you could do it.
    wow, so this is actually possible? yes in westeros total war our settlement level list could be split like this:

2 huge cities
    3 cities
    4 towns
    24 castles
    and a lot of M&B's and Wooden Castles.

so yes it is totally possible to upgrade the towns into large-towns and have M&B, Wooden Castle and Towns share the same siege level. the only thing is that there are so many M&Bs and wooden castles on our map, because of lore, that we must use different cultures to use as many as stone fort models as possible. Are all the stone forts really compatible with this idea? also the custom battles fort thing is no not an issue, if it is possible to choose which fort you want to fight in available then great but if choosing M&B, Wooden Castle or Town would cause problems then it is a necessary sacrifice. it shall not be missed
    Last edited by Toho; March 09, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: damn u typos!

HELLEKIN's Avatar Miles

hello gigantus,i instaled your stone forts mood and it worked and the stone watch tower too,very nice,and i tested and i made a fort and get out to make my enemies take it,they took it and when i sieged him i saw that was a wood fort....how can i make it stone fort in batle map?i must change something in files?It´s for vanilla,i consulted you many times because of this...i´m very close to have stone forts in my mood is it possible to change the wood fort in to a stone?many thanks in advance
    Homo Homini Lupus

Blog Entries

The stone fort models will only work when the fort is pre-placed, if you build it during game play it will be a wooden fort.

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Gigantus, in your mod - Der DreissigJahrige Krieg, you also make use of PSF's but with different strat and battle map models, and they have names. How do you do these things? I'd like to change the strat map model to the lowest possible level of a settlement (so the same model as that) and on the battle map I'd like to have the same model as a settlement with a wooden palisade around it. Is that possible?

Blog Entries

The naming is relatively easy (immobile and invisible characters of a frozen faction) and the strat model can be changed in descr_cultures, but the battle model is a whole world of pain according to my modder friend who did it.