Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A collection of DLV strategies and hints - rules changed

joemo's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: A collection of DLV strategies and hints - rules changed

battlefield any i think unless got super smart calvary
    if you are retreating and have put stakes there don't press retreat move around them i learn't that the hard way dead king and aniihlated calvary with already 100% dead infrantry
    my zero turn recruitment mod for eb click on the smily
    click on this smiley for no clamour for reform

The old problem of retreating your cavalry through your own stakes.

Please hints only in this thread, no chit chat

Under the benevolent guidance of jimkatalanos

joemo's Avatar Tiro

i
    should be applicableto any version
    in seiges counter the ais bonus reinforcements when a you assult get mercenarys for 1 turn make sure they are melee and send them to hell then send the rest of your army after disband and it is approved by hannibal himself did the same thing at cannae if you are wondering what the trick is big army can be cheap and no upkeep

translation below ivanhoex plus rep
    Last edited by joemo; September 20, 2008 at 02:34 AM.

please allow me to translate...

in seiges counter
    the ais bonus reinforcements when a you assult

apparently here he states the situation: you have an enemy town under siege and they got the garrisons script reinforcements.

get mercenarys for 1 turn make sure they are melee and send them to hell
    then send the rest of your army after disband

now he recommends to hire all the mercs you have in the area (melee preferably), and in battle you send them upfront to take the heaviest casualties. then after enemy has disbanded before the power of your mercs, you send your own troops to finish the job.

and it is approved by hannibal himself did the same thing at cannae
    if you are wondering what the trick is big army can be cheap and no upkeep
    Hannibal himself used this trick at canae apparently, he got a huge army but he got to pay no upkeep for it... the next turn.. XD

anyway, nice thinking. it also adds to the unit limit thing thanks to the disbanding mercs part, so its quite good. most of us are probably using this tactic already, but it has one small glitch...

if you dismiss troops then you lose all experience earned on them. so far mercs are not THAT upkeep-expensive in exchange of providing with higher technology troops at beggining of the game, so having excelent troops with high level of experience might as well be very profitable.

in the begginings i tend to keep reinforcing them, then i send them to forts to avoid upkeeping. this lasts till i can make that level of troops from castle/fortress/citadels... then they get fired.

cya. gl.
    Last edited by ivanhoex; September 17, 2008 at 08:51 AM.

joemo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoex View Post
    please allow me to translate...

in seiges counter
    the ais bonus reinforcements when a you assult
    apparently here he states the situation: you have an enemy town under siege and they got the garrisons script reinforcements.

get mercenarys for 1 turn make sure they are melee and send them to hell
    then send the rest of your army after disband
    now he recommends to hire all the mercs you have in the area (melee preferably), and in battle you send them upfront to take the heaviest casualties. then after enemy has disbanded before the power of your mercs, you send your own troops to finish the job.

and it is approved by hannibal himself did the same thing at cannae
    if you are wondering what the trick is big army can be cheap and no upkeep
    Hannibal himself used this trick at canae apparently, he got a huge army but he got to pay no upkeep for it... the next turn.. XD

anyway, nice thinking. it also adds to the unit limit thing thanks to the disbanding mercs part, so its quite good. most of us are probably using this tactic already, but it has one small glitch...

if you dismiss troops then you lose all experience earned on them. so far mercs are not THAT upkeep-expensive in exchange of providing with higher technology troops at beggining of the game, so having excelent troops with high level of experience might as well be very profitable.

in the begginings i tend to keep reinforcing them, then i send them to forts to avoid upkeeping. this lasts till i can make that level of troops from castle/fortress/citadels... then they get fired.

cya. gl.
    yeah icould be appiled backwards
    new tip for countries like poland you should send merchants to spain its got gold and silver and not as far or as dangerous as america and very profitable
    Last edited by joemo; September 20, 2008 at 04:14 PM.

technical / battle map

just a thing i have not used (ever!) and i honestly didnt remember it even existed...

keep your camera zoomed out as far as you want, anytime you want to zoom in to certain part of the battle map (where there is a unit) just aim with your mouse and keep the middle button (the weel) pressed.

it will instant zoom-in while you keep it pressed down, it will zoom-out to previous camera view when you release.

for those that dont know, there is also a slow-motion feature with kingdoms install, its activated pressing the time +/- while you keep pressing shift. its quite awesome and very usefull in micro-heavy battles. (no need to pause battle every two seconds if you run it at 0.5 speed)

Tactical/battlefield

With regards to cavalry charges and general issues with cavalry as mentioned in one of the main threads:

Quote Originally Posted by marrow View Post
    There are certain quirks in TW engine which we all have to put up with.

Problems with tracking fleeing units have been known since RTW and are unlikely to be rectified any time soon, especially the "broken unit" issue.

Mastering charge demands a bit of patience (took me a while) but pays off big time and charges do work if done correctly. There are a few principles that should be adhered to to successfully use cavalry:

1. Do not charge units marching away from you because your cavalry, more often than not, will lose cohesion (or heart) and literally stop right before making contact with enemy unit. If that happens - pull out immediately and charge again.

2. Only attempt frontal charges when attacking archers, swords and possibly low spears, you're safe with peasants. Never charge the likes of armoured seargants or voulgiers, or even dismounted english/noble/ portugese knights if they're unengaged. Your cav will run out of steam pretty quickly and turn into sitting ducks.

3. To succesfully carry out a "100% damage charge" you must be patient and arrange your knights in a broad double line facing the enemy directly. Cavalry charges best if not forced to change direction halfway through the charge. Leave them some room to gather speed, probably some 50 - 100 yards (cav needs about 3 seconds to pick up charging pace). Once your knights are arranged and ideally facing enemy unit's side/back double click on the unit you wish to charge and enjoy.

4. This will not always work for many reasons - enemy unit starts to march away, turns around to face you, enemy unit disperses and your cav unit loses cohesion etc. Thus the sure fire way to succeed is to use hammer/anvil tactics and pin the enemy down first.

5. In DLV you must pull your unit together almost immediately after a charge otherwise you'll incur casaulties due to cavalry spread. Always keep a close eye on your charging cav and don't let them disperse. Once they've hit home let them wreak havoc for about 2 seconds and then pull out, rinse and repeat. The strength of cavalry is in their charge, they will never manage to slug it out against the likes of highlanders, you must regroup and charge again.

5. Remember - it's well worth your while to master cavalry charges. One successful charge can wipe out a whole unit.

Once you learn how to use charges properly it will get easier and easier each time. When on the move, knights can actually go into charge mode almost instantly so once you have charge one unit and pulled out you can then keep your knights marching and simply order them to charge another unit even if it's too close for comfort. Practice and you'll get there.

As I said before - some things you'll just have to put up with, there are inherent flaws in TW engine but you can still use cavalry in battle to devastating effect.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

thx, ivanhoex, far too kind

Version 5.73 Battlemap (army setup)

Here is a quick way to get your battle line set up just the way you want it.

When you are selecting units to draw up your battle lines, select the unit you want on the left flank first, and then ctrl-select the unit you want next to the right, and then so on all the way down the line.

Then when you draw up the line it will maintain (left to right) the order in which you selected the units.

Very useful if you are particular about how your units are lined up, but hate micromanaging individual units.

Also of course you can have the individual units close the gap between them using the + key.

End result is a continuous straight line, with no gaps.

Great thread btw, I've gotten some quality tips out of it!

Help,

Economic, strategic.

I have no governmetal points. I have tried everything to get them. Please help

dont know if its been said but when storming a gate, if your not a big fan of oil you can park your battering ram in the gate and it makes a nice roof to march your troops around, only downside it it can slow down your progress but you wont get burned.

Version 5.73 Tactical/Exploit

Siegen any rebel fort even fool stacked one will no cause a sally if it is in your territory
    Even using one unit for it in couple of turns it is your
    Last edited by Harris2000; December 11, 2008 at 01:48 PM.
    In vino veritas "The truth only in wine"

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Felix View Post
    Version 5.73 Battlemap (army setup)

Here is a quick way to get your battle line set up just the way you want it.

When you are selecting units to draw up your battle lines, select the unit you want on the left flank first, and then ctrl-select the unit you want next to the right, and then so on all the way down the line.

Then when you draw up the line it will maintain (left to right) the order in which you selected the units.

Very useful if you are particular about how your units are lined up, but hate micromanaging individual units.

Also of course you can have the individual units close the gap between them using the + key.

End result is a continuous straight line, with no gaps.

Great thread btw, I've gotten some quality tips out of it!

This is a nice one.....+ REP!!!

Military:

When you see a wall with 3 destructible parts, lure some enemies onto the top of the wall, then destroy both end parts at nearly the same time. Everyone between the gaps dies. You can kill 200 men this way.

Learn to shoot your catapults at towers so that when they miss, the shot goes into the crowd in the town square. Dozens of men can be killed in a single shot.
    Last edited by Lord Cave; January 09, 2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: to clarify
    Installation: WinXP Pro SP3, M2TW Kingdoms 1.5, DLV 5.80 beta 2. Playing as Poland.

Wartower's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Furin View Post
    version 5.7 - campaign map/rebel spawn exploits

So the player gets all these nasty extra rebel spawns, and the AI doesn't. Unfair isn't it? Time to exploit this
    The other exploit works with a spy and only functions in turn 0, if a rebel spawn stands next to the fort and has not moved yet, and you got a spy within range, put the spy next to the rebel spawn so the fort is in a straight line behind the spawn, now spy on the fort. The spy will "push" the extra rebel spawn into the fort, where it will stay until you decide to take them out. They will not leave the fort as they are assigned to the immobile fort commander. This works for example in Nottingham and Caesarea, but perhaps in other regions too, and of course every time you see a huge rebel stack next to a fort and have a spy somewhere near.
    This worked for me while playing Flanders and Georgia. Both by accident, but a very nice turn of events, especially when you use the other nasty little exploit that is contained within these threads. Push them in, mop them up with one unit.

Wartower's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cave View Post
    Military:

When you see a wall with 3 destructible parts, lure some enemies onto the top of the wall, then destroy both parts at nearly the same time. Everyone between the gaps dies. You can kill 200 men this way.

Learn to shoot your catapults at towers so that when they miss, the shot goes into the crowd in the town square. Dozens of men can be killed in a single shot.
    Version 5.8 Open Beta_3: Military:

Somewhat related to what Lord Cave has mentioned. But in reverse. Be careful when using seige towers. If you can wait til it rains, then all the better to avoid having them catch fire. More importantly, be careful if you make it to the wall with these and are halfway on top of it and halfway stuck in the tower. If your tower catches fire, kiss half your unit goodbye unless they have little wings on their feet!

Wartower

V 5.8:
    when going to take a settlement, first scout the "area" of that settlement for the rebel army stationed outside, (not the fort, but the rebel army) take them out first, and then deal with the settlement.
    Deus lo Vult Player
    AAR Writer: Wrath of the Norsemen

Lovin' cav spread

Quote Originally Posted by Bacus View Post
    V 5.8:
    when going to take a settlement, first scout the "area" of that settlement for the rebel army stationed outside, (not the fort, but the rebel army) take them out first, and then deal with the settlement.
    yes...but...not all the rebel armies attack you when you are siege a castel/city !!!! so this tactis isn't good all the time so you can actualy take the castel/city then hunt down the infidels

Regards , Infinity !!!
    Kids in the back seats causes accidents .
    Accidents in the back seats causes kids .

weird, every single reb army, in the same territory as a settlement attacks me. (i take relativly small armies to gain more mil points, maybe that's why)
    Deus lo Vult Player
    AAR Writer: Wrath of the Norsemen

Lovin' cav spread

Quote Originally Posted by Bacus View Post
    weird, every single reb army, in the same territory as a settlement attacks me. (i take relativly small armies to gain more mil points, maybe that's why)

yes...if the troops ration is above 1:2 for the rebel army (the rebel army have twice more troops than you) then he will attack you ....if not...well...not... ...if you wish to take the settelment ....gain more mil. points and secure the city/castel after you have taken him here is my tactic :

I take the gen. and a few soldiers to attack the city/castel to gain more mil. points...but also a few squares(2-3) I have another Stack of troops as a back up and reinforce my troops that are with my general...so...after I take the castel/city with 3-4 Units and the general...I more the Sopply/Back-up Stack in the city/castel so that way I earn more mil.points...more exp for troops that were under my general...more chances that my general will get now or improve certain traits and I also I have some troops to resupply my experienced troops that fight to take the city/castel and I also have enough troops to survive at a siege by some rebels of an enemy army if is the case ....

Regards , Infinity !!!!
    Kids in the back seats causes accidents .
    Accidents in the back seats causes kids .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast