Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BoA3 - Suggestions/Ideas/Answers for v3 (Obsolete)

Default Re: BoA3 - Suggestions/Ideas/Answers for v3

what about the Takeda?

Default Re: BoA - Suggestions/Ideas/Answers for v3

very nice! keep up!

Hey I just found this mod a few days ago, played it a good bit already and here's my thoughts.

From a historical point of view, what you are missing the most are teh Tokugawa and Date Clans. The other major clans that had a large historical impact are the Azai/Asakura Alliance, the Hosokawa and Miyoshi clans, and the Chosokabe clan.

The Tokugawa are very much like the Imagawa often employing the Koga ninja sect. In addition, Tokugawa relied heavily on guns and the skill of the Four Guardian Lords, which could be represented as a powerful cavalry bodyguard unit.

The Date's most famous unit was the mounted guns, however these came late in the era. Still it would be fun to use these in game.

Azai/Asakura could be a single faction, like the Azai faction with some elite Asakura units or vice versa. Azai were well disciplined, with good spearmen. Asakura more traditional, with many bowmen.

Hosokawa and Miyoshi are closely related, if you make one you really should make the other. Hosokawa were very politically influential while Miyoshi kept the Kyoto area in chaos. Hosokawa probably would benefit from strong horse-archers (the most traditional samurai art), while Miyoshi enjoy trade from Sakai.

Chosokabe are known for its fierce, but lightly armed/armored fighters. Both cavalry and spearmen would have lighter armor but higher attack values.

However, none of these clans would add much to the gameplay/replayability. If you want to add more gameplay value, I think one of the four following minor clans/factions would make the most impact: Ashikaga, Iga, Saiga, and Christian Samurai

The Ashikaga were Shoguns of Japan, ousted by Matsunaga and in exile. While having little personal military power, they could call on warriors from across Japan, as well as citizens to defend them. They could employ unique units like militia units, ronin samurai, and unique buddhist warriors.

Iga was the birthplace of the ninja and featured many powerful ninja clans, most especially the Momoichi, Fuma, and Hattori. While a minor faction, the Iga forces proved to be very strong and fiercly independent, fighting in several battles during the era. An Iga faction would feature the most powerful ninja units, a very small and limited samurai force (each unit would have 2/3rds the number of troops), and high morale/loyalty peasant fighters. Two ninja units, an Iga Ninja elite, and a Ninja Teppo unit would be their specials.

Saiga Magoichi led the Ikko-ikki, a fierce group of buddhist warrior monks and gunners. An all-buddhist faction featuring stalwart gunners and warriors and limited cavalry.

Christian Samurai army, while there was no one clan that was entirely Christian, could represent those vassals that followed christianity and employed many western-style units in their army. These are not european units, but armies with European style armor, and many gunners. There were a number of powerful Christian Samurai lords in the Sengoku era, many of which played large roles in the war but no Christian exclusive clans.

I would also suggest adding a few mercenary units to the rosters. If you made 4 mercenary units and gave each faction one, it would add alot to the gameplay. Poor factions could employ bandits or pirates from Ryu-kyu, wealthy trade clans could employ foreign mercenaries, Devout clans could have a special mounted warrior monk unit, and the Chinese/Mongols could employ a unit from southern-asia, perhaps an Indian, Middle Eastern, or South-east Asian unit.

New clans would be:
    Date, Azai, Asakura, Chosokabe.

Historical Battles would be:

Battle Of Okehazama
    Nobunaga Oda's army vs Yoshimoto Imagawa's large army

The Imagawa army will charge at the Oda army but leaves Yoshimoto behind.. Oda has ambush units in the forest nearby to attack Yoshimoto. When Yoshimoto is defeated.. Imagawa army will retreat much easier. Imagawa has much larger army than Oda. But Oda has better units.

Battle Of Kawanakajima
    Shingen Takeda's army vs Kenshin Uesugi's army

Takeda has much cavarly... I dont really know about the Uesugi but it should be a decent fight

Battle of Anegawa
    Nobunaga Oda's army vs Nagamasa Azai and Yoshikage Asakura's armies

Oda would have 2 armies.. 1 defeating Azai and 1 defeating Asakura. Oda's speciality would be musketeers. Azai and Asakura doesnt have musketeers but have a little more troops.

Battle of Honnoji
    Nobunaga Oda's army vs Mitsuhide Akechi's army

Akechi are surrounding the Oda city.. Akechi army has much more troops than Oda has.. But Oda troops are much better than the Akechi troops.

Siege of Odawara
    Hideyoshi Toyotomi's army vs Ujimasa Hojo's army

Toyotomi would have three armies.. At three gates surrounding the city. A decent fight

Battle of Sekigahara
    Mitsunari Ishida and Yoshihiro Shimazu's armies vs Ieyasu Tokugawa and Masamune Date's armies.

There is no point to make a new clan for just one battle.. So Mitsunari would lead the Mori clan with aid of Shimazu.. And Tokugawa has Date helping them...
    (If Date will be done to the version then they would be together. And really both sides had much more factions helping them than only Shimazu and Date, but there are no sense to make so many factions just for one battle.) Ishida(Mori) and Tokugawa would have big armies but Shimazu and Date wud have smaller armies.

Those are my ideas
    Last edited by Jdo0; August 16, 2009 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdo0 View Post
    New clans would be:
    Date, Azai, Asakura, Chosokabe.

Historical Battles would be:

Battle Of Okehazama
    Nobunaga Oda's army vs Yoshimoto Imagawa's large army

The Imagawa army will charge at the Oda army but leaves Yoshimoto behind.. Oda has ambush units in the forest nearby to attack Yoshimoto. When Yoshimoto is defeated.. Imagawa army will retreat much easier. Imagawa has much larger army than Oda. But Oda has better units.

Battle Of Kawanakajima
    Shingen Takeda's army vs Kenshin Uesugi's army

Takeda has much cavarly... I dont really know about the Uesugi but it should be a decent fight

Battle of Anegawa
    Nobunaga Oda's army vs Nagamasa Azai and Yoshikage Asakura's armies

Oda would have 2 armies.. 1 defeating Azai and 1 defeating Asakura. Oda's speciality would be musketeers. Azai and Asakura doesnt have musketeers but have a little more troops.

Battle of Honnoji
    Nobunaga Oda's army vs Mitsuhide Akechi's army

Akechi are surrounding the Oda city.. Akechi army has much more troops than Oda has.. But Oda troops are much better than the Akechi troops.

Siege of Odawara
    Hideyoshi Toyotomi's army vs Ujimasa Hojo's army

Toyotomi would have three armies.. At three gates surrounding the city. A decent fight

Battle of Sekigahara
    Mitsunari Ishida and Yoshihiro Shimazu's armies vs Ieyasu Tokugawa and Masamune Date's armies.

There is no point to make a new clan for just one battle.. So Mitsunari would lead the Mori clan with aid of Shimazu.. And Tokugawa has Date helping them...
    (If Date will be done to the version then they would be together. And really both sides had much more factions helping them than only Shimazu and Date, but there are no sense to make so many factions just for one battle.) Ishida(Mori) and Tokugawa would have big armies but Shimazu and Date wud have smaller armies.

Those are my ideas
    Just a few quick notes off the top of my head:
    Oda forces at Okehazama were pathetic in many respects, including many poor farmers that followed Oda to battle. A second smaller Oda force could start behind Yoshimoto, you might also split the Imagawa forces into two groups to ensure Yoshimoto starts off with only a small force alone.

Kawanakajima: I don't know all the details of this battle off hand, but Uesugi was famous for using spearmen very effectively here, having them rotate ranks and keeping fresh troops on the front at all times. This battle was meant to be a surprise flank attack in the heavy fog, but the enemy was also planning an attack and came through the fog on the smaller flanking force.

Anegawa was Oda and Tokugawa against Azai and Asakura. Just to clairify for anyone who didn't know and in case the Tokugawa faction is added (if anyone else has taken a look into the data files, you'll see that there is coding for a Tokugawa unit or two that has yet to be added).

Sekigahara: Mori makes sense as one of the Mori family (Hidemoto I believe) was technically in charge of the Toyotomi forces. However, Hidemoto chose to protect the young Toyotomi heir and never came to the battlefield himself. Shimazu forces were present on the battlefield but did not move. They had intended to defect to Tokugawa's side but due to specific circumstances, they could only remain stationary on the battlefield. When all of Ishida's forces were defeated, they were the last on the field still standing. Because Shimazu never moved, Tokugawa Ieyasu thought Shimazu Yoshihiru had betrayed them and attacked, but Shimazu's only intent was to protect his own family and escape... the fighting was brief as the Shimazu forces successfully escaped the battle. Therefore, Oda+Mori forces against Tokugawa+Date forces (or the closest you can come to it). Sekigahara could be very hard to simulate, what with all the mid-battle defections. And in case you were curious, after the battle Tokugawa Ieyasu (who greatly respected the Shimazu clan) did not pursue, instead sending an emissary to find out why Shimazu Yoshihiru acted so strangely at Sekigahara. They came to an understanding, and Shimazu was allowed to retain control of their Kyushu holdings (Incredibly generous, considering what Tokugawa did to most of the other losers of Sekigahara).

Other significant battles: Can't pass up a chance to simulate Imjin War battles, it's easier to do with custom battles than campaign.

Nagashino, Oda+Tokugawa massed riflemen versus Takeda massed cavalry
    Osaka, Tokugawa versus Toyotomi seige, with Tokugawa vastly outnumbering.

I've got a bunch others but those are the only ones I can name off the top of my head

Well you sure know alot of those battles

Biarchus

Nagashino! Oh yes please!
    BTW there are about 5 battles of Kawanakajima-#4 is the most fun and games, including a head to head duel between Kenshin and Shingen.
    "I'll tell you what rule sir....we applied Rule 303. We caught them and we shot them under RULE THREE OH THREE!"

"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it!"

yeah kawanakajima usually just refers to the 4th one as it was the only decisive engagement where both armies committed to the battle. the others were more just flexing military muscle and manuevers. Yeah the duel between kenshin and shingen where Kenshin cut through the enemy lines and Shingen held him off with his war fan... probably the most famous duel of the era (just a quick note, Musashi's legendary duels came at the start of the next era so Shingen and Kenshin was probably the most significant of the Sengoku).

Nagashino is one of those battles that could easily have gone either way, making it an excellent historical battle to play.

Hello,

I am no expert of Japan history but wasn't there a clan at Okinawa during the Japanese feudal period?

Good day.

Foederatus

hi

i am big fan o total war series since shogun and is great that the community has finally a new shogun. i think all shogun fans are bored to wait after RNJ

as suggestions:

wouldn't be better to have one or two provinces to start for every clan as in the original shogun?
    can tokugawa start as protectorate of imagawa and be prone to rebel if conquered by any of other clans?
    oda generals should be generally rebellious in the case when the clan territory will be very much expanded

chosokabe, asai, warrior monks, shogunate, date, asakura should be added.

However, the modders work is impressive and I want to congratulate everybody for this. thank you for a good mod. maybe you will not let it like this and this will become a great mod.

*bows*

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

With some scripting the protectorates should be possible.

Tokugawa Attack Nearest Imagawaw Settlement >> Tokugawa Declare Themselves Allies With Oda

I'm not sure how the scripting in Rome works but these lines should be doable.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Okinawa was rather isolated from the wars of the Japanese mainland. Thats why Okinawa (called Ryu Kyu [Spl?]) was an excellent place for defeated and exiled samurai, criminals, bandits, and other undesirables to gather. Thats not to say the people of Okinawa were bad or inferior people (as mainland Japanese claimed for decades), merely that they were surrounded by the trash from the mainland. Ever wonder why Karate developed in Okinawa?

@amz I'd be all for it, but the campaign mod is a separate project from the BoA mod. We can only work with what we are given, and atm we only have the 7 STW clans and a map of Japan. It's more than just creating a Tokugawa clan, we would need all the major clans like the Hosokawa, Miyoshi, Chosokabe, Asai, Asakura, Ashikaga, Ouichi, Saito, Rokkaku, Toyotomi, etc. There were countless emergent clans in Sengoku Japan, many of which had a major impact on the course of events. Mori broke away from Ouichi, Oda from the Shibata (I think... they broke away from someone I forgot whom), Toyotomi from Oda, the Uesugi had 3 different branches fighting for supremecy in the Uesugi family, etc etc etc.

Hey all, Just new and looking at modding. Like it but im new to it. But im a designer and realy like to help with v3? my online portfolio: http://www.happyfolio.nl . Can create textures, patterns, interfaces all costom, no google . pm me or email me on julien@happyfolio.nl

Take this guy on Al

Ya, I sent him a PM.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Recived I have send High Templar a email

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

hello guys,

I was wondering what faction the Toyotomi Clan belongs to here, you know Hideyoshi and Hideyori. And will you guys include the Ashikaga Shogunate in the future?.. BTW i just started to download...
    Last edited by gaius_caesar; October 20, 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Far as I know Hideyori left Oda. Not sure of the rest after that.

I vote for a campaign myself. But I'm just the new guy.

How do you guys increase the number of your troops in a single group? Usually the total number is 54 units so my question is how to expand the units to 100 or 200 or more if possible? could someone please help me? Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast