View Poll Results: Which do you prefer

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paler pastel colours (on left)

25 47.17%
  • Darker more saturated colours (on right)

26 49.06%
  • Don't care - just want to kill them all.....

2 3.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question of colour

Default A question of colour

OK we are having a slight dilemma concerning the colours of some units tied to saturation, fading, strength of colour etc so thought we'd seek some opinions.
    Below shows two screen shots with a unit with more faded colours on the left and one with stronger colours on the right. Any views on this in terms of preference?

EDIT: reposted this for wilddog as he'd missed out the poll option originally - have since realised the difference in colour depth doesn't stand out so much on my monitor, suggestions from anyone who can see difference are most welcome, suggestions that WD should buy me a better computer monitor also welcome....

Campidoctor

Default Re: A question of colour

This is certainly a tough decision.:hmmm:

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

They both look fine, but the darker colors give it a more rugged look and get my vote.

they both are wearing different clothing so that makes it harder but I prefere the softer tones.

Definitely the colours on the right; very strong, but not outlandishly bright like the colours of vanilla.

I like the faded ones on the left. Looks more realistic.

Logik's Avatar Campidoctor

I like the Right one Better looks more detailed.
    My gaming rig nicknamed The Beast. OMEN by HP Obelisk Gaming Desktop Computer, 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K Processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB, HyperX 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, VR Ready, Windows 10 Home (875-1023, Black)

can you show the same units and then whit the lughter and the darker coleurs so the dission is better

The King Of Peasants's Avatar Senator

I definitely like the more saturated ones.(which seem to be winning) those billmen look very cool though!
    "July 14, 2008: I think this is a case where Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are fundamentally sound. They're not in danger of going under. They're not the best investment these days from a long term standpoint going back. I think they are in good shape going forward. They're in the housing market. I do think their prospects going forward are very solid."
    -Barney Frank

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

A big thanks to you for voting and sharing your comments. I think we've pretty much decided on the darker stronger colours now - although we may not be quite that strong on some of the factions/units.

I couldn't really show a direct comparison as I hadn't done the same skin for the same type of unit and didn't really want to redo one if it was throw away. Several of our skins are less ornate than vanilla or other mods. Thats by intent as there isn't much evidence to show otherwise. We're not really going for a uniformed look for a faction either although we are trying to theme some of the colours a bit more as the battles can get very confusing.

the right has my vote

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

The paler colous couse the fit better in their enviroment...
    The clouths were "new"all the time you know!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

The paler colous couse the fit better in their enviroment...
    The clouths were "new"all the time you know
    Not really sure what you are saying? can you explain?
    Last edited by wilddog; May 16, 2008 at 02:56 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

You could always use both, low end units would be scruffy and faded, high end more plush.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    You could always use both, low end units would be scruffy and faded, high end more plush.
    Sounds about right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus
    Thats sort of how we started and then I noticed we were going darker (must be the Mak EOD effect )

Problem though was that when the units are compared one was looking solid and darker and the other looking very washed out and faded. Somehow sun bleaching to white fading doesn't exactly ring that true to me.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Not really sure what you are saying? can you explain?
    Yes bright colours make the soldiers look that are no in the enviroment the exist in!
    The enviroment colours are pall enough to give vision depth and skins,banners etc with bright colours look allien!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Problem though was that when the units are compared one was looking solid and darker and the other looking very washed out and faded. Somehow sun bleaching to white fading doesn't exactly ring that true to me.
    I guess it depends on whether you want the units to look 'graded' (sitting in the environment) or standing out. Grading units can be a long process and may have to be tailored specifically per unit (ouch) .. Also are you going to mod the skies?, we found in certain circumstances darker units can go a little too dark, town centres coming to mind..

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Also are you going to mod the skies?, we found in certain circumstances darker units can go a little too dark, town centres coming to mind..
    Wilddog likes nice sunny, clear, weather conditions for battles....

....so I don't think he's going to let me anywhere near the skies

Think we're probably heading for a compromise situation on the colouring. Part of problem on the lighter ones, I think, is that they look like they're fading towards white too much - as a dye on white paper would - whereas they should really fade towards dirty beige/brown.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane
    Wilddog likes nice sunny, clear, weather conditions for battles....

....so I don't think he's going to let me anywhere near the skies
    er that was for taking screen shots of units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast