Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Africanus/Julius

Into the curia, swathed in the whitest toga praetexta, one that spent many days soaking in urine and washed over and over in the Tiber.
    The many months on the war front against greece had hardened the skin of his face.
    The lines of age ever increasing... but those eyes. Those rimmed blue eyes.

Senators.
    WHAT IN JUPITERS' NAME IS GOING ON HERE?
    You call yourself senators of Rome.
    I find nothing amusing of what has happened here over the last three months since I took the consulship.
    WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED THE KING OF GREECE IS HERE?
    I AM THE CONSUL OF ROME.
    DO YOU THINK THAT I DESERVE TO BE LEFT IN THE DARK, THAT YOU CHOOSE NOT INFORM ME, OF ALL PEOPLE OF EVENTS IN ROME.
    I WHO HAVE LED THE WAR AGAINST THE GREEKS WITH THE FORMER CONSUL OF ROME.
    This war could have been over months ago.
    Instead you sit here bickering about nothing.
    Imagine I were to lead my legion south to attack Greece while the King sat here trying to seek a ceasefire.
    Why has there been no appointment of a consul.
    Why must I wait for my son-in-law to inform me of these events.
    I see now what you are doing, some senators here seem to enjoy not having an elected official.
    Maybe you are trying dispose of the consuls.
    Maybe we should all strip naked and paint ourselves blue and run around shagging goats.

Therefore unless any of you see a problem with my nomination I appoint Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus.
    The only other running candidate in the last elections.
    Also I believe the amendments have been completed so I will see a division for the nomination of Lucius Aurelius Lepidus as Princep Senatus for life.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"As a Roman,I must agree with your decision Servius."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Titus Vedius speaks up...

"Yes our Consul is right, the entire senate has been acting as if the Consul does not exist, not just this term, but the previous one too... He is, whether you like it or not, elected by the people of Rome. The senate has gone for weeks with some of the most important positions unfilled... its time to remedy this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus View Post
    "As a Roman,I must agree with your decision Servius."
    no wonder, but anyway I aggre we need the office filled now and Tiberius is better than nothing.

I say we also hold elections a soon as posibel for procounsul of casalpine gaul the region is now more than a years march from the front.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

A valid point Lucius Amelius.
    Lets move onto the provinces.
    Will we make the land below the alps into a province?
    And will we add Massilia to the Islands?
    Lets decide this now so that it can be ratified and passed to law.
    Rome must not be thrown into turmoil.
    Let us rather move forward.

Voice Chat @ Discord

OOC: poll now!

so we are demanding, what 150000 denari from the greeks??
    + annual 5000 for 20 turns + one setelment in appolonia?

is this enuf for rome??
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu

We are not here to demand anything.
    I might remind you that we need a concensus where this is concerned.
    I believe an amount of 100 000 Denarii be paid to Rome in lieu of her men lost in the war and a ceasefire.
    The Hellenic war has gone on too long.

ooc: The greek faction has less than 120 000 - asking for more will ensure the ceasefire does not work!

Voice Chat @ Discord

ooc: THEN WE DEMAND 2 PROVINCES!!!!

the spartan king has coused much pain in the republic, men have dide and it was the spartan king that acted first!
    all theier tresury should be whiped out in addition 200,000 suits of armor and 250,000 wepons annual tribune of 5000 and 2 provinces to be given to rome.

OOC:for the RP element demanding armor is a sensebel thing to do.
    the prov's should be in appolonia.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I'll remind the senator that we have no use for Greek arms. Also, we must not be seen as vindictive in victory, and should only ask for a sum that is equal to the losses sustained in the war.

Whatever the proposal, we must have a vote.

Now I really suggest we deal with the provinces matter while we have the respite from the Greek War.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

The junior consul has left and in his absense I choose the Princep elect Lucius Aurelius to open the voting on this.
    I believe enough time has surpassed for anyone to disagree with this provincial amendment.
    So let the islands and Massilia be combined and the four towns south of the alps be united as one and forward known as The province of Cisalpine Gaul.
    Lets see a division if you please.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Titus Vedius speaks up...

"Senators 100 000 is all we can realistically expect from the Greeks, over a period of 2 years would be sufficient. As for land, our resources are already stretched to the limit. We need to focus on what we have... Africa is already rebelling, mediolanum and patavium have never been happy and Italy itself hasn't had any major infrastructure builds in years... no no more land."
    Last edited by Grandis Latro; May 06, 2008 at 03:39 PM.

OOC: in acient times armes were demanded just to starain the enamy and sepelete his army.

IC: we can melt the armor to make our own!

"To ask the Greek king to ship his men's armour would be an insult to the extreme and might spark another war... remember he is a spartan and their sheilds, weapons and armour is as valuable to them as our Republic ideals are valuable to us. No no I recommend we do not demand their armour."

well they will need to give us 1000 tonns of Iron and 2000 tonns of bronze to replace lost armor.

"Servius the noble Senators and I do not appreciate that tone in the least! We are doing what we can for Rome, just because our positions make our roles limited doesn't mean you have the right to come into these halls demanding things. Consuls that demand things usually end up dead. From the moment you begin to belittle the senate, you will begin looking for your throne. We al respect your sacrafices for Rome, but a certain level of civility must be maintained. What will the people think if they see their consul reeling in the senate house? Will they think we are mad men, or just lazy? I would demand an apology, but there is more pressing business at hand.

Senators, we cannot waste too much time debating about the Greek peace, there is a war to be waged against the Gauls and this cannot be forgotten. If they are allowed to send as many armies as the Greeks did to the front, we cannot wait to respond until the Greek issue is negotiated. yes, procuring the peace agreement is a top priority, but we must do it with some haste, other matters require our attention. If the Gauls penetrate our borders, we cannot gaurantee the people's safety. The Greeks were a somewhat civilized folk, the Gauls are rampaging barbarians. "

Ok guys, im back. Sorry i had RL problems.

OOC: You didn't miss much LOL.

Are we still in the Fight and Run tactics?

Lisa's Avatar Civis

OOC:To all the senators if you wondering, Im not feeling well so I won't be on much posting like I used to, Ive been to the dr & hopefully I'll be my oldself by the weekend. If not Im going back to the dr.
    I've asked Rex to assist me, but it seems is to involved with his campaigns to help me so I guess you have to do with what I can give for now, so sorry.
    :-(
    Gnaeus Claudius Aquilla

Senator of Rome(34)
    Positions held:Tribune of the Plebes-twice

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Well there is quite some stuff I have to say senators:

To Servius Labienus, your entrance was dramatic, and I must say it was a motivating speech. You speak many truths in that short space of wording. Most of us Senators have forgotten that you being away means you needing information as well. Tiberius Octavius is a good choice for Consul, and yes, the voting must start, it has already been dragged back far too long.

To the Junior Consul. It is good to hear you have returned, but it is now up to you to do your job properly now. I suppose with your return Tiberius will no longer be needed as suffectus.

And to Lucius Aemilius Paullus, you are demanding outrageous things from the Greeks. The giving of those is not feasible! They may spark the beginnings of a new war. You are being overly demanding. Remember that we are meant to be negotiating a fair treaty, and asking that much of them not only makes us Romans seem greedy and insensitive, but it is also a dangerous move. I think the monetary payments will be fully enough.