Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Empires

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Post Your Empires

Hmmm, havent been here for a while for various reasons but anyway, howdy =)

Played RTW with the lastest xgm update, for the 1st time in months and getting the feel of it again.

m/m ai bonuses off (originally played as Armenia)
    Playing as the Romans

The year is 266BC but i am playing with 8 turns per yr to simulate reality somewhat and because I wanted to have some continuity with the characters. It also helps if i wanted to write a story.

As you can see, I went the hard way and pursued a multifront war, not by choice mind you, I was invaded by carthage and the Roman rebels in the 2nd turn followed by gaul in the 8th turn. Then the pesky germans decided they wanted some Roman real estate. And thus began 14yrs of total war for Rome.

Once i seized Sicily, sardinia and corsica, I went for the jugular and seized carthago with my usual foolhardiness with 4 cohorts and a general who promptly bought himself an army in africa. Thank goodness their main army was busy at the time dealing with the Iberians and the eastern kingdom provinces. I decided to open up that southern front because I cannot allow the potential risk of an army landing on my shores (there were two landings already on the shores of capua and they werent small affairs, even brought elephants in the first stack) in the future ever again so i decided to take the fight to them.

As for the Gallic and German question it was a relatively hard decision to pursue a profitless war, but I felt that if they were dealt with early on, it will make romanizing them easier as well as the northern threat being eliminated once and for all. Once the Gallic front is crushed and colonised with good roman farmers, the two legions will be transffered south to Iberia as Iberian troops are massing at the borders and i only have half a Legion stationed at Emporiom. The other two legions on the german front will mark time until the threat of carthage is neutralised forever so tht the hybrid legion stationed there can be brought back home to Italy to allow to be rebuilt as a full Roman legion. Almost all the current legions are operating at under strength or with few of their support units so alot of my battles tend to be defensive affairs. Only one legion which is in germany has anything like its full complement minus calvary but the war elephants more than make up the deficiency =p

I would like to play more but my game crashes everytime i end turn and no error msg pops up. Must be stupid vista.....
    Last edited by Ferrus; May 08, 2008 at 10:59 PM.
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Hi Ferrus, nice to see you again. Very interesting campaign you have - Macedon and Pontus have very interesting holdings

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

It is actually quite funny, the macedonians pushed as far as the current pontic border before the pontic armies invaded scythia, only to have the cities they both took eventually rebelled on them as they came to blows against each other as well. So you had three different armies in one province pummelling the hell out of one another. Looked epic.

Another update from my campaign
    A lot of factions were destroyed in the last few turns. Baktria lost finally against the Seleucids, Macedon and Germania conquered by me, Egypt was a small island nation with only Rhodes and Cyprus left. I conquered them for the colossus and to create a forward retraining base at Salamis. When Scythia attacked me it broke my alliance with Thrace and I lost my last excuse to let them live. Armenia is down to one province after the Seleucids joined Pontus and Scythia in their war against them.

The Seleucid Empire just declared war on me and I have a bad feeling about this. I counted 15 full stacks between Seleucia and the Mediterranean sea and there are probably more. There are probably more and even if I destroy these they will be replaced. Fortunately they are pretty broke and every city I take means less soldiers in my enemies pay at least until after I killed them.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    Btw, that is a typical army I used against barbarians. It worked wonders against Gauls and Germans: light cavalry soften enemy flanks, spearmen receive charge of the remaining enemy infantry, thracian peltast throw their javelins from behind spearmen, and then move to flanks and charge the enemy, whereas final light cavalry charge in the rear makes the enemy route.

Inexpensive army and good results. Such an army is easy to replenish, it requires low-level baracks that that can be found everywere. But I do not hesitate to use greek peltasts, hoplite militia, and slingers in wars against the barbarian.

Military reforms are in progress anyway. I can train Thracian Thorakitai and heavy Thracian cavalry in a couple of places for quite a while, but I just needed more money.

In Greece my armies are predominantly greek (surprise!): I took plenty of third level baracks from Macedon and built a few myself. I hope to have a few relatively quiet turns to upgrade and re-shape my armies. Also, I intend to dilute my greek armies with thracian thorakitai (wr with Rome will come one day).

ME
    I use a similar army setup, mostly Barb armies with a few slingers and maybe Greek Theurophoroi in their, outside of Greece. Inside Greece, its the opposite, a mostly Greek army with some falxmen as flankers and some Light Cav (Thracian).

Welcome back Ferrus, haven't seen you in quite a while (since you made that Illyrian sub-mod). Nice empire, 66 BC with 8 turns a year must have taken a long time, I won't bother to work out the math.

@stoneface: TSE is a beast in your campaign, in mine the GCS are destroying them in Asia Minor with the help of Pontus, the Ptolemies have lost Judea and are holding well, Armenia has taken two of their settlements, and Parthia and Baktria have not attacked them yet. TSE has nearly lost their western holdings..

Stoneface, take Antioch or Damascus, and just pump out Syrian archers, then learn the art of sallying. Once you do that, you can break army after army of Seleucids. I've killed so many armies of Seleucids using mainly Syrian archers and Eastern cavalry.

Anyway, in my campaign, other than the Scythians, only Macedonians will be a challenge, though the Indie Gauls have been taking a lot of settlements from the Germans.

jesus christ! sele looks like a monster

wat diffuculty is that?

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Scutarii: Oops, I mean 266 BC =p And yeah, thanks though technically it is not finished as i havent dealt with all the text descriptions and with the latest version of XGM out, i think i will wait abit, do some text here and there b4 finalising and sticking to an XGM version. A ten month project at my pace

I really want to work on an Etruscan faction but exams are approaching so yea... plus i need to relearn how to mod once again =/

Man, civilizing those barbarians and easterners is sure hard work.

@ Stoneface. If I were you I would not advance to Palmyra for now . Does Scythia present any iminent threat? I saw AI factions attacking you after you got some beating from other faction(s). So, beware.

When I fight multiple stacks (particulalrly when there is no other army to cover my back), I sometimes retreat. For instance you have just beaten a stack. A new is on its way, but you ran out of amo (pilum-is the best friend of a Roman) and your men are tired, so your casualties will be much higher when fighting the second stack or you could even loose. Retreat, and fight the second stack with full amo. For a fast and safe rertreat (in good order) you have to be positioned close to boundaries of the battlefield.

You could strike in Africa as well, maybe it is less heavily defended. You have to take their cities regularly. As a rule of thumb: one city less - one stack less. Happy fighting!
    ME
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; May 09, 2008 at 02:20 AM.

Staneface, on a second thought, buy a machine gun
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; May 09, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

... or bribe their armies, you got some cash there

Edited: [@ CaesarVincens (post #34): Fair comment. That's multiple posting indeed ... ME]
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; May 19, 2008 at 07:07 AM.

Taking Antioch sounds good. Not because of the Syrian Archers, auxilia archers are just as good only lacking two armour points. Not for sallying tactic that worked so well in my last gcs campaign. I fear the opposition is to heavy for that and without retraining attrition will get me in the end. But there is a certain something about cities with urban barracks, pantheon of Hephestos, a foundry and an elephant resource to make you want to conquer it asap if only to destroy the barracks. Anyway the army in the Levant is there to occupy the Seleucid army not its territory. Two armies have began to conquer Asia Minor and two other boarded their ships for Cyrene and Alexandria.
    Scythia is no imminent threat. They came to one of my border cities with a few small stacks but decided it was a better idea to attack the Parthians a few thousands miles away after having a good look at my garrison there. I prepared special anti-Scythian stacks and three are standing at the border right now a fourth nearly ready. Even if they attack they do not classify as threat.

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

Difficulty: Hard/Hard
    Asia-Minor Land Bridge: on
    Loyalty: on
    AI Bonusus: on
    Faction: Rome

The world as it is in the year 251 BC.

The one truly superpower is the Seleucid-Empire. They have captured almost all the city’s of the Ptolomaic-Empire, they are currently besieging another two of their city’s, and Parthia. They winning all the wars they have.

Carthage is in war with Rome and Iberia. They have lost all their territories in Iberia to the Iberians and lost Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily to the Romans. Now the Roman fleet is blockiding them and destroying all their ships so the Cartheginians are trapped in Africa.

The Eastern Kingdoms, once a nation with much land, now nothing more then two areas south of Egypt and two city's, that are under siege, in the East.

The Scytians in the north have captured all the areas there but that’s all they have done. They are in war with Armenia but no city’s have been captured on either site.

The Iberians are doing not bad. They managed to get Carthage off Iberia and attacked Gaul. Unfortunatly for them Rome was busy capturing Gaul territories and only managed to capture one city. Now Iberia and Rome are very good friends and they fight together against Carthage.

Pontus captured many city’s in Asia Minor. Then they made war on the Armenians and captured one of their city’s. They were doing fine until the Greek City States declared war on them. Now Pontus is in the defensive and is losing city’s to the Greek City States.

Germania once a powerfull nation. They captured all of Northern-Europe but met the Scytians on their path East. They did not dare to declare war on them so they turned west. Gaul was busy fighting the Independent Gauls so and Germania saw her chance. They declared war and captured many of Gauls city’s. Then the Romans came and captured the rest of Gaul. The Germans thought they could easily destroy the Romans so they declared war on them. But they were wrong and Rome, angry at the declaration of war inmediatly lauched an attack on Germania’s territories and is now busy capturing Germania’s lands.

Baktria. Once small and nothing inpotant, now a power in the East. They managed to keep the Parthians at bay and captured all the city’s in the East. Then they turned to Parthian city’s and managed to capture some. They are currently besieging another two city’s of them. The only problem they have is civil strife. The city’s in the East keep revolting.

Armania, a nation that is fighting against both the Scytians and Pontus. Early victories against some rebels gave them a few city’s. Now they do not lose city’s but are not capturing them either.

Saba, not much is known of them. We only know that they are a nation in Arabia. We do not know how strong or how it is doing in the war against the Seleucid-Empire.

The Greek City States, a nation to be proud at itself. In the beginning they had no wars exapt the one against the Independent Greeks. They captured some rebel city’s. Then the war against Macedon started. Macedon quickly lost all their city’s on the Peleponnesos. Then the Macedonians fought back but never managed to capture city’s from the GCS. While busy fighting Macedon the Greeks declared war on Pontus and captured some city’s from them.

The Independent Greeks are doing bad from the start. They lost all their city’s exapt 2.

The Independent Gauls have been fighting the Gauls from the start. The lost some city’s to them and then lost all exept one city to the Romans.

Macedon is almost destroyed. The captured most of the Peleponnesos early in the game but in the war against the GCS they lost them all. The Macedonians managed to hold the Greeks at bay but then the Romans invaded and captured Pelle and Larissa. Now the Macedonians are defending their last city named Sardica.

Trace has done fine. They managed to capture some citys near their starting areas. They have fought no real wars yet but they fear the Romans will come to them soon.

Rome, once only a city now an Empire in the West. They are very god friends of the Iberians. Scytia the Seleucid-Empire, Bactria and the GCS are also allied to Rome. How long some of those allies remean allies is not sure.

Pirrus of Eprus was easily destroyed by Decius Mus who then captured Tarentum and the rest of the city’s in the south including all of Sicily.

After the quick capture of southern Italie Rome declared war on the Gauls and captured their citys in northern Italie. A small expeditoin was send to Massilia to capture the city . Meanwhile Dicius Mus, now Dicius the Conquerer was send with the mission to captyure the rest of Gaul. The Gauls and Independent Gauls were no match for Decius Mus and his army. Gaul was captured. The Roman leader died and Decius Mus was made Faction Heir. He was allowed to return to Rome with his army but on the way back they were attacked by the Germans. After the batle he desided not to go to Rome but to capture all of Germania’s land. Germania was nothing compared with his army and under his leadership he captured many of Germania’s city’s. He now rests for a year in Atuatuca before he continous.

Another army was send to fight the Germans and will soon besiege Veldideno.

While Decius the Butcher, now leader of the Romans, was fighting the Germans an army was send to Greece to prepare for the invasion of Macedon. They captured Ambracia and Salona and then marched to Pella and Larissa. The Macedonians put on a hell of a fight but were defeated and the Roman army’s captured the city’s. Now they wait their for reinforcements to come so they can move on and capture the Peleponnesos and drive all the Greeks from the European mainland.

Cathage the old enemy of Rome has been forced back to Africa and is under constant guard of the Roman fleet.

The overview of the Roman Empire

The finances are not so bad. Rome usually gers 20.000-30.000 denarii a turn but that all goes to recruitment and building new structures.

• Seleucid Empire
    • Rome
    • Greek City States
    • Scytia
    • Germania
    The Seleucid-Empire is by far the biggest faction.

• Seleucid-Empire
    • Rome
    • Greek City States
    • Scytia
    • Germania
    The Seleucid-Empire is by far the strongest faction.

I’ve never understoud the meening of this one. It changes every turn.

• Seleucid-Empire
    • Rome
    • Scytia
    • Germania
    • Greek City States
    The Seleucid-Empire has the most territories but recently lost some because they revolted. Rome is growing fast and will soon be the number one in territories.

• Greek City States
    • Rome
    • Carthage
    • Iberia
    • Saba
    Because the recently started war against Macedon Rome and the GCS have lost much money. Then the war between Carthage and Rome has started again so they lost money as well.

• Seleucid-Empire
    • Scytia
    • Rome
    • Greek City States
    • Carthage
    Well I have nothing to say here.
    Last edited by TM Is Back; May 09, 2008 at 10:42 AM.

Great Roman Empire, TM.

The production ranking is based on how much you queue up in a turn, both buildings and troops, so you you put a lot of things in your queues one turn the rating shoots up, if you don't put very much in your queues it will be lower.

ME, next time don't post three posts in a row if you can, you do know how to edit.

Stoneface,
    Well, the reason I said Syrian archers is because you should be able to train them right away, versus having to wait 12-13 turns for a city barracks. And don't worry too much about overwhelming odds, when you are fighting a sally the AI doesn't usually fight back too much, especially if you use mainly long range missile troops. Plus, you don't have to kill all the enemies in one sally, you can kill some, retreat back into the city, and sally again the next turn.
    Last edited by CaesarVincens; May 09, 2008 at 10:55 AM.

beikon's Avatar Libertus

Sorry, but how do I take pictures in RTW and copy/paste them in my computer?

There are a few ways,
    One way is to turn off anti-aliasing in RTW options, then you can take a screenshot by pressing the PrtScn button, and it will show up in the RTW/tgas folder.

A second way is to press the PrtScn button and then Alt+Tab out of RTW and paste the image into a program such as paint or photoshop, this is considerably more time consuming however.

Finally, you could use a screen capture program, such as FRAPS (the one I use), most will let you take screenshots with any key, not just PrtScn. And they usually save to the folder of your choice, some even let you save them as jpegs, though not the free version of FRAPS. This is the method most people use.

After you take your screenshots they will usually not be jpegs, the best format for uploading to the internet, therefore you need to convert them to jpeg, whether one at a time with a program such as photoshop, or you could use a batch converter, such as a nice program called irfanview.

However you choose to take pictures, good luck in getting great ones!

beikon's Avatar Libertus

I've taken few pictures and they come in tga form, I open them with photoshop but I don't get it how I can change them into jpeg form.

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

imageshack.us
    Upload them there and then place them in the fora's.
    Last edited by TM Is Back; May 10, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

Beikon, after you open them in photoshop, click save as then select .jpeg from the drop box for file type.

Then use the image hoster of your choice, I like photobucket, others like imageshack, and there are other ones out there as well, each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

As mentioned before irfanview is a good image viewer/converter. Photoshop is a bit expensive for private use.