Page 3 of 228 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

Civitate

Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

I have been watching too many movies, yes.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Well kids, Life Lesson Fuzz (TM) wants to put in his 2c here. While it is true that US unis aren't all about parties, you can't say the movies aren't completely wrong.

I've found that people are set in what they think experiences should be--that is to say, people that grow up thinking that all high school seniors don't care about school will be the kids that stop caring about school in thier last year. The same is true for college. The people who spent their teen years watching movies about college and waiting for their first college party really will live the movie in many regards.

I know a lot of people that take the easiest classes for the easiest major and party all the time. One guy I know regularly comes to class hammered, and every time he has a party it is pure insanity like something you'd see in a movie, albiet with slightly less tits.

Those movies are simply the most exciting bits of college thrown together. Studying isn't that exciting, why show it in a film where your main audience is made up of horny teenagers? For that reason a lot of kids have a shock when they get here... the party to study ratio is pretty wack.

I gotta say though, based on my friendships (and e-friendships) with people overseas, Americans on average seem to take uni a lot less seriously... at least I do. But perhaps that's because Americans truly don't know how to party. I have a good friend that went to Sydney for a year and she said the Aussies were insane, they'd drink all the time, yet still perform well in school. In the US, it really seems like its either/or...

k this post is too long

Bokks's Avatar Thinking outside Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    So you think the American college experience is only about parties and getting hammered? You've been watching too many movies.
    Too true!
    That's the truth for only half of us!

Truly though, a difference in age like that isn't just to stop someone from getting completely plastered every other night. There are other considerations too; voting age, driving, sex, friends. While it would seem like far too many of us get plastered, all of us don't. We don't all go out and sleep with the first thing that has legs, tail or not, but this is a consideration. And many times when you graduate there will be something that's hosted by the college that involves a bar in some way shape or form. You don't have to drink to know that if you're not old enough you can't even enjoy the companionship of everyone else. I doubt that Australias drinking age is 21 like the states, but if it is one who graduates before that age could be left out.

... but then again that's what elitism is, I guess...
    Patronized by Vɛrbalcartɷnist|Great-Great-Grandclient of Crandar
    Thinking Outside the Bokks since 2008...

Here, those of us who are doing a worthwhile degree at least, certainly do not only go to university for the parties or getting hammered.

you kidding, kids don't love media studies that much
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lector V View Post
    You're fifteen and you're going through Sydney University?
    Wow. That actually must be pretty hard, not the school work which of course is pretty easy (most of the time) but fifteen? That's gotta be a huge culture shock. What's Australia's drinking age? I mean, college isn't all about getting hammered perpetually but there still must be a bit of tension if any of your friends want to drop everything and go.

... how are the girls down there? That must be a little strange too, being fifteen and sitting in a class with smoking hot women at or over 20.
    Well I'm used to hanging around people older than me. All my best friends are eighteen (and they're all girls too ), and I've been in classes with people several years older than me since I started high school.

That said, the Australian uni experience is quite different. Here, uni entry is based off your marks and not much (read: nothing) else, so you really only go to uni if you want to and do the work in your last year of school. Also, not all that many people leave home for University, especially if you're in Sydney. That's because in Sydney, all the good Universities are in the same city as you, which means moving out of home is very expensive and rather pointless. Most people just catch the train in every morning.

In short, yes, it's a bit weird, but nothing worse than starting high school at the age of seven.

Plus, I'm studying Ancient History and Classics, so it's not the hardest of material.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

To counter the general stereotype of college in the USA, I will give an opposite general stereotype about the same.

The college experience in the USA is mostly thinking about how much you're NOT getting laid and trying to cope with horrible hangovers from the night before (where you didn't get laid).

Another thing, being in college in Texas, the women are weird (like all of them aren't? ). It is a mix of liberal ideas about women (feminist, independence, working girl, etc) and traditional values (women stay at home, guys buy everything for them, etc). This makes trying to get (some) girls difficult. On one hand you should be a Southern gentleman by opening up doors for them, acting as if you're their protector, and being polite. But at the same time the girls want to do things themselves, want to be independent from you, and want you to be different (other than polite). It's a lose-lose situation (sometimes). I think I'm just mostly tired of girls being on their "high horse", thinking that they're all high and mighty because they're in college, and that they're too good for you. On one hand they want the guy from the country who is rugged and simple. But on the other hand they want the guy who is from the city who is clean cut and sophisticated. Freakin' broads is all I gotta say...

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

I'll drink (tea, it's 11am) to that, Rahl.

Been raining on and off for a day now, I wish it would either be sunny or be epic thunderstorms... preferably the latter. Nothing's better than a thunderstorm.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

You'd think that after living for 21 years that I would at least be able to figure out girls enough to not be confused by their actions, but sadly for me that isn't the truth.

Trying to have any sort of relationship with them is always like a cruel game. And being a dude, I like games. Dudes like sports and competing! But the relationship game has no written rules and so (at least some, including me) guys screw up. Why play a game when you don't know any of the rules? If you're a girl, stop sending me text messages that are laced with flirtation and then when I see you face to face, don't flirt at all. It confuses me! I'll say it again: freakin' broads. I don't know why chicks say that guys aren't caring enough. Guys let things slide all the time. If I say that one of my best friends is an insert insult, it won't really matter in the long run. I'll hang out with him the next day. But with chicks, if you say anything, they'll remember it forever and use it against use when they feel that it's a good time for them. What the hell?! What's more caring, having a good enough relationship with someone that you'll forget what you said yesterday? Or, acting like you're still good between each other, and then using something that happened ages ago to undermine your friend?

If you want to know how a guy feels honestly, most likely he will tell you as honest and easy to understand as possible. But with women, they will send you mixed messages all of the time and expect you to know how they truly feel. It isn't that girls express their feelings better. I think the truth is quite the contrary. It is my belief that girls mis-express their feelings better. Guys are straight and to the point. Girls are here, there, and everywhere. And then chicks wonder why a guy doesn't listen to them when they're talking about their feelings. Why should a guy listen when the said girl says one thing one day and another the day after? It's pretty easy to please the average guy. All a guy wants from a girl is for her to appreciate him (that differs on the relationship), be able to let his (probably) offensive/idiotic remarks he makes slide, and not be annoying. With a chick, you never know what she wants.

I have the feeling that this chat thread is going to turn into a thread for Lord Rahl to rant in...
    Last edited by Lord Rahl; May 03, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Preach on brother...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Books I'll probably be selling back to the school this monday afternoon...
    1. Living my life, by Emma Goldman. Someone shoulda given that wench a guitar as to spare me having to read selections from that.
    2. Margaret Thatcher's Revolution, a compilation of various articles by British conservatives both criticizing and praising her.
    3. Some book about Putin. A diary by a Russian journalist who was murdered by his thugs prior to it's publishing.

Then I can afford to eat at the student union again...

Lord Rahl thats the average mans life not the college experience.
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Books I'll probably be selling back to the school this monday afternoon...
    1. Living my life, by Emma Goldman. Someone shoulda given that wench a guitar as to spare me having to read selections from that.
    2. Margaret Thatcher's Revolution, a compilation of various articles by British conservatives both criticizing and praising her.
    3. Some book about Putin. A diary by a Russian journalist who was murdered by his thugs prior to it's publishing.

Then I can afford to eat at the student union again...
    wtf classes did you take, jeez! I've already sold back everything about the Balkans, curse that place and the fact I had a class that could go 3 hours on it.

fuzz i love your sig, its fuzz from the fuzzbuzz books (books for retard kids) i remember having to help a kid in my class read those.
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    wtf classes did you take, jeez! I've already sold back everything about the Balkans, curse that place and the fact I had a class that could go 3 hours on it.
    That's just for my Political Science class on Political theory.
    The books I'm keeping for sure are the one on the Iranian Revolution, and maybe George Orwells "Road to Wigan Pier".

*reminds self to never take a Political Science class on Political theory class at UCONN*

I'm keeping my books from my Islamic M.E. class as well as some from my Roman hist course... that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    *reminds self to never take a Political Science class on Political theory class at UCONN*

I'm keeping my books from my Islamic M.E. class as well as some from my Roman hist course... that's about it.
    Well as it turns out the book load for that class was about...70 dollars?
    At first I bought books (actually ONE book) for the wrong class...and it was 70 bucks. So when I spoke to my teacher about it, I got really hopeful that the new load would be cheaper. I might have ended up saving a dollar.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Rahl, man, that's the wrong attitude altogether. Women are a mystery, and one which is interesting to solve (when you don't have anything better to do, that is).

The fact that she doesn't flirt in person is quite obviously because either:

1) she wants you to seduce her
    2) she is unsure as to you being the best candidate
    3) she is timid
    4) she was flirting because she needs a friend but she doesn't think she can get one without offering glimpses of sexuality
    n) insert your hypotheses here

Life is a game and we ignore the rules when we start playing. Part of the game is discovering the rules and bending them to one's advantage (although in the good sense, and I mean only in the good sense).

Said this, long live elitism.

Indefinitely Banned

Speaking of intellectual books: I picked up "The Last Legion" for 10 pence in a jumble sale yesterday.

I hope it's better than that God awful film they made of it!

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

The book is really, really good. I haven't seen the film though. Chances are it's better.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Indefinitely Banned

Hehe - the film got an absolute slating. but I guess that within its genre (middle-of-the-road-near-historical-drama-for-mums-who-like-Colin-Firth) it wasn't too bad.

Though, the bit at the end, when "The Legion" came to the rescue, dressed in full panoply, made me want to jump up and cheer. It fair brought a lump to my throat!

I really have been playing RTW for far too long.
    Last edited by Tony83; May 04, 2008 at 08:40 AM.