Thread: The Elitist Chat Thread

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Elitist Chat Thread

Indeed, Merry Christmas.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Hurray, getting extremely drunk and embarrassing yourself at a family Christmas party!
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

im slowly and steadly starting to hate android

basically nothing changed since i had my my moto something something, it was one of the first android phones

and google instead of making things better they release 2 apps that do the same thing

and the apps are crap, you would at least expect that apps from google would be any good, off course they arent!

at least on 4.4 email got better, its still subar

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

I got my first android device (a nexus tablet) last year and was horribly disappointed at how besides being worthless as it's really nothing more than an inferior internet device/personal YouTube viewing screen, it is buggy and bad at anything it can actually do. Useless gadgets. I was given a galaxy s4 today as a gift, first smartphone, have no real interest in it, I doubt I'll use anything more on it than I do with my old barely working dumb phone.

im an email bound person, so it was a plus for me to check my multiple mail accounts, but that was only really possible after the update to 4.4, to which you aren't bound soon if at all.

note taking its also useful

for music playing its worse than my iPod, and i finally found an app that can play my music without butchering it, though I have to pay for it. Why don't you really support flac or aac? despite your claims of support, you can't play correctly alc or m4a! not to mention you can't play properly flac!

for some doc editing it barely works

the worst part is that every single google app is pure and sheer crap, except maps.

- the play store just keeps getting more awful without a conscious UI design or info aggregating.

- chrome barely works the algorithms for rescaling don't work always and thats one very large annoyance, to have to keep resizing things so that you can actually read stuff.

- the music app is for the lack of a better tos friendly word pathetic. it can't play higher quality music files properly, despite the support being existent since I bought my first smartphone, years ago!

- the video app doesn't support anything and it works as a very poor extension of the play store, to which is dreadful.

- i don't like gmail, i just created an account there for google purposes, its just a terrible email and with several peeping done from google.

Basic functionality is missing, why I can't i just press a button and ask if I'm up to date with my apps? is it truly that hard? because I know I was missing updates, and I had a very small window of time to update the damn things, but no! I can't do that, and off course it takes ages to update everything! so instead of updating for 10min on a push, I will have to wait several hours for it to finish updating everything!

there is no real multitasking

playstore apps are the wild west, you really have to be damn sure of the publishers name and the correct complete name of the app, otherwise you will get ed. and the search algorithm is crap. I was trying to put dots in a 2.XX phone that belongs to my sister, the only way to get it to display the game was for me to send her a BT link of the app. because older versions can't play the game they remove those results, i wasted 10min searching for that single app, because off course how the hell would I know that it won't display because you can't install the damn app? I actually searched with the entire name of the app, punctuation and all. freaking ridiculous

dictation works 60% of the time, its damn fairly low.

the very neat google now feature keeps activating out of nowhere, not that the commands actually work well, given that if you don't speak slower it will register ludicrous words, instead of what you just said, but say it too slowly and the command won't register, or engage partially. never mind using the:
    - ok, google now, call X at home.

it won't work, because its unable to register correctly any name. and Im fairly sure that I can say the name of my father correctly.

and incredibly there are even more user annoyances that they can make

including widgets, wallpaper, UI interactions, duplicated apps that serve no reason, trash that remained from previous versions and the list goes on.

next time I buy a phone its probably going to be an iPhone

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I have a Galaxy S3 and I LOVE IT!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Left For Dead 2 is free. http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

a google engineer i know asked me why i don't like the email client on 4.4, given that it received a massive update.

i hid my disbelief in the question and calmly answered that things that we expect from a mail client, that are very basic aren't even there, yes we got a better UI, which still isn't even good enough, not to mention the accessibility is still sub par, they lack basic functions like integration with calendar, or mark to read latter, mark a tag, application of filters...

i almost said, why are you asking me this? if you guys can't even make something that resembles outlook express from win xp in terms of functionality (basic barebones functions), why do you think I'm unhappy with such a poor client?

I really really doubt iPhones would be any better for me at least. I don't use email really, I've never used an ipod or anything so I have no real interest in music on it, maybe if occasionally look up a video or something or maybe an address for work but there's nothing of a smartphone's currently very limited functionality for me to make me really give a about having one other than maybe being more active with the stock market as my work doesn't present me with access to the internet.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have a rather old HTC which I use for phone stuff and podcasting and an e-reader. Enough for my needs, though I do have a laptop, a chromebook and a PC as well
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

its a simple matter of expectations, for one i didn't expect to actually work on the device, but rather as a hub for me to stay in contact with it.

the other stuff like listening to music, surfing the web, watching videos, is a simple matter of why the smartphones have evolved this way. thus one would expect that they would perform rather well, to which they don't.

the next frontier is voice commands, and they are also lagging behind. i can't imagine how things are on other android devices, given that my phone is dedicated to voice commands with a cpu dedicated for that and software specifically for that.

I would add a note that 4.4 is an evolution for developers not for the end user

on another note some friend showed me touchdown its a rather feature rich email client, i.e what we have on outlook and other clients is usually found in it. the problem is that it aint that user friendly

if you want to work on a device, you have to get a real tablet with a real OS, like those numerous win 8 tablets. android and iOS aint going to cut it, not by a long shot
    Last edited by karamazovmm; December 26, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

What about the windows phones? More of the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    What about the windows phones? More of the same?
    their mail client is decent, their app store aint the wild west

but what are you trying to do?

Well since I am not an office worker and thus the only thing work related with this phone might be to look up an address or something which I'm sure any smartphone would do adequately, maybe take pictures for record, and I barely use email, it's use would be mainly personal, maybe using it for radio or spotify, and like I said getting more active with my stocks if I could keep some track of them when I'm away from a computer which is most of the time. Honestly I'm not a very techy or connected person, I'll most likely continue to use it mainly as a phone which is why I just feel it's a useless expensive gimmick that from some use today is worse at that than my old dumb phone which had perfect audio. It's not like there's even any games to play on it, trying to type on the touchscreen is agony and the screen is too small on the phone to read on it. I just hate modern technology.

Isn't Windows phone just android with a different ui essentially, do android apps not work on one?

windows phone 7 was a continuation of windows phone 6, windows phone 8 is more akin to windows from pcs

I still don't know what you do, but you can look at your stocks using home broker (arrggghhh the horror!) and since I left the office (i was a stock broker) there were platforms for android and iOS

you can use spotify and radio is enabled on some higher end smartphones (not all of them)

the KB is a matter of taste, I don't see much of a problem and used for years those blackberry like KB.

Im also not an office worker, Im currently a researcher in Uni.

I work in construction, if I was running my own business I'd have some need for it I guess but as is, it's all just personal uses. I didn't think I'd hate the touchscreen keyboard, but it's just annoying as hell, at least on the nexus tablet.

well I know the S3 had a good audio cpu, i don't know what the S4 packs. but the best in audio reproduction is the iPhone. for example mine has barely the audio quality of my iPod nano.

regarding gaming, there are tons of games that are free and some that are paid.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...o-play-a-game/

I like dots very much
    (thats for your previous post)

the touchscreen KB is much more usable in a phone rather than in a tablet, the size does make a difference. you may still not like it

a smartphone is more for personal usage rather than corporate. simply put despite the overwhelming number of apps for the platforms, not so much for windows and much much less for blackberry, there are for example few email clients that offer functionality akin to what you have already in your pc, WITHOUT PAYING. yes thats right a pc free app, offers better functionality than a PAID app on android.

there is also the problem with the lack of security and so forth.

best smartphone for business is the iPhone 5s.

For me it was a simple matter of cost, the moto x is 1k, the 5s is 2k.

so try to enjoy your phone with some music and games, and use the resources that it has

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

It's an I, Claudius night. :3

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Someone declare himself a living god while the rest try to kill each other? *Glance the news* Huh, yeah, sounds about right.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Someone declare himself a living god while the rest try to kill each other? *Glance the news* Huh, yeah, sounds about right.
    That was me, I'm the Latin/Japanese Jesus

On another news delicious barbecue, off course I made it (yeah I'm a very damn good cook, I also clean the house wash the dishes and other household chores, waiting for proposals). Sorry muricans that thing that you call barbecue is a simple travesty

dosed, mixed and stirred, not shaken, from taptalk