Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by HarkonRules View Post
    Out of curiosity, when were the "settlements", aka permanent forts scattered throughout the map in many regions removed from the game? What patch? I for one am glad they're gone and the AI is a lot smarter without them. I wish it was easier to find the threads with previous patch notes, would be cool if there was a stickied threat with some sort of archive for this.
    It's in the 2.2x series, maybe 2.2e?

I unstickied the old threads to reduce clutter, but an archive thread isn't a bad idea. I could use that to get rid of some more of the inactive stickied threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kravixon01 View Post
    For the SPQR polybian reform requirements, do battles where besieged defenders sally forth still count?
    Sieges count, but there has to be at least 11 units on the enemy side.

Is it just me or the Strategos ton Philon is a bit overpowered for Pontos? Being able to accquire heavy Infantry(Galatian Retainers and Galatian Colonists) and Heavy Infantry (Persiam Heavy Cavalry) at an early game when compared to the pitiful roster you get from the other Pontic governments. What's stopping me from putting Governor-General gov in every settlement I conquer?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It's in the 2.2x series, maybe 2.2e?

I unstickied the old threads to reduce clutter, but an archive thread isn't a bad idea. I could use that to get rid of some more of the inactive stickied threads.
    Sounds cool. It's hard to get lost in the sea of changes of these huge overhaul mods, and I like to know what changed over time, especially because I definitely skipped a few patches.

Also, I'm certain I've seen some sort of map / list before of regions that have a polis / metropolis around here before and it would be useful. Would you happen to have it Quintus?

EDIT : Found such a map, but it's only relevant up to 2.2h, were some regions given a polis / metropolis or changed in 2.3? Here is the thread for those interested : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ellenic-Poleis
    Last edited by HarkonRules; January 22, 2018 at 11:11 AM.

I noticed that Greek colonies prevent you from establishing Eleutheria kai Autonomia {greek administration}, but you can establish colonies in a city which already has that government. Is this intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Is it just me or the Strategos ton Philon is a bit overpowered for Pontos? Being able to accquire heavy Infantry(Galatian Retainers and Galatian Colonists) and Heavy Infantry (Persiam Heavy Cavalry) at an early game when compared to the pitiful roster you get from the other Pontic governments. What's stopping me from putting Governor-General gov in every settlement I conquer?
    It's only 1 point of heavy cavalry, and the native pool is levies-only. Higher governments are better, if they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    I noticed that Greek colonies prevent you from establishing Eleutheria kai Autonomia {greek administration}, but you can establish colonies in a city which already has that government. Is this intended?
    Yes, it's a progression towards tighter control. The idea is you build a polis first (or there's already one present) for the Hellenic Admin, which you then colonise and move up to Supervised Hellenic Admin.

Shouldn't there be only two Roman consuls? I got 3 of them elected at a single turn.

Are you sure? That never happened to me when it could.

It's only 1 point of heavy cavalry, and the native pool is levies-only. Higher governments are better, if they're available.
    Pre-reforms however. They are the best gov building available. Quick two-turn build time, culture conversion and being able to recruit Galatian Heavy Spearmen and a Persian Heavy Cav anywhere plus some levies.

Why would you need to build a strategai, sacred estates or an allied state gov that provides numerous but cheap units when you have all the above?

Are you sure? That never happened to me when it could.
    Totally sure. The description says there were only two of them.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In a previous answer, I believe it was Quintus said that the game has no way of limiting promotions - there's no "counter" for traits that would prevent more than two consuls.

My solution to this is to pick my top two choices among those eligible, and park the other one(s) outside of Rome for that turn. As a bonus you have a new consul lined up for the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    Totally sure. The description says there were only two of them.

Hmm I see. Either some sort of rare error happened, or I simply never kept more than 2 senators eligible for Consul in Rome at once because there would be no reason to either way. Because indeed, there were only 2. I mostly follow cowrecked's method.

But more importantly to me, how did you achieve such a high income in Arretium so early in the game? My Arretium probably makes like 2k less at a comparable number of turns if I remember correctly from my latest Rome game. Ariminum too, is making quite a buck.

Hmm I see. Either some sort of rare error happened, or I simply never kept more than 2 senators eligible for Consul in Rome at once because there would be no reason to either way. Because indeed, there were only 2. I mostly follow cowrecked's method.

But more importantly to me, how did you achieve such a high income in Arretium so early in the game? My Arretium probably makes like 2k less at a comparable number of turns if I remember correctly from my latest Rome game. Ariminum too, is making quite a buck.
    Arretium starts with more than 3k income and now it has almost 12k households, mining center (1633 mining income) + superior miner (10% mining income), very high taxes + bureaucrat (10% taxes) + supervisor (5% taxes) and spice merchant (10% trade). It makes less than 5000 if he is away and taxes are normal. That province is my gold mine (and it is also the only metal that province doesn't have). I have almost 20k households in Rome and 16k in Capua but they make much less.

Last edited by YourMadDoc; January 25, 2018 at 04:18 AM.

I don't see a way of easily getting around this, given that you may want some of your guys to run for Censor, but they may be eligible and more easily to be elected as Consul instead at the same time.

Also I think just because someone is in Rome and is eligible for an election, doesn't mean they will get elected anyway.
    Last edited by nvm; January 25, 2018 at 05:21 AM.

I don't see a way of easily getting around this, given that you may want some of your guys to run for Censor, but they may be eligible and more easily to be elected as Consul instead at the same time.

Also I think just because someone is in Rome and is eligible for an election, doesn't mean they will get elected anyway.
    Perhaps elections for Censor should be first and unsuccessful FM's should go for Consul office elections if they weren't elected to Censor office.

Also, can there be additional simple "eligible/not eligible" trait at the top of the list quickly check who is ready for an election? It gets complicated over time, especially with a larger family tree.
    Last edited by YourMadDoc; January 25, 2018 at 07:45 AM.

Is there more event stuff if you kill the Ptolemaioi pretender guy that besieges your capital by event for Makedon? For me he just ended up hopping on the boat that spawned for him and going somewhere else. Kinda anticlimatic.

Is there more event stuff if you kill the Ptolemaioi pretender guy that besieges your capital by event for Makedon? For me he just ended up hopping on the boat that spawned for him and going somewhere else. Kinda anticlimatic.
    Well, happens! Perhaps he located an easier throne and went for it instead.

That's the end of the scripted events for Makedonia, the pretender is the culmination of the early ones. He did march up and besiege Pella, didn't he? If so, that's the end of his scripting, what he does after that is up to the AI.

That's the end of the scripted events for Makedonia, the pretender is the culmination of the early ones. He did march up and besiege Pella, didn't he? If so, that's the end of his scripting, what he does after that is up to the AI.
    The early ones? I'm curious now, is there anything for late ones? As it is right now, I'm not sure if I ever could get myself to play up to the Sweboz reforms. Or even the Marian ones for that regard.

The early ones? I'm curious now, is there anything for late ones? As it is right now, I'm not sure if I ever could get myself to play up to the Sweboz reforms. Or even the Marian ones for that regard.
    We haven't really got anything besides reform triggers for the late game. Problem is that it's easy to come up with scripted things for the beginning, we just use what we know of what was happening in and around 272BC for any given faction. But the further out you go, the less likely it is that the situation bears any resemblance to how things were in what survives of the record, making them too speculative to be valid. We're in serious danger of "history on rails" if we start trying to make events much later happen the way they did, even though the overall context is different.

Went back to EBI today out of nostalgia and started an Epeiros campaign. Still extremely fun, especially for a game approaching its 14th year. But EBII is definitely the superior mod now imo, congrats and my best wishes to the team

My question: Is it possible to use voicelines for the same unit that are unique to a faction? I noticed something pretty interesting while playing EBI. In the mod Apeirotan generals use the generic Hellenic bodyguards (Somatophylakes Strategou). What caught me is that when I selected them on the battle map, they shouted 'Molosson Agema', which is specific to Epeiros! I remembered reading a while back (in a thread about phalanxes iirc) that there are units intended by the team to represent various corps with similar characteristics among different factions (like the Phalangitai units of the Diadokhoi). Now if a unit had separate voicelines for each faction, for example the Seleukid Agema Phalangitai would shout 'Argyraspides' while the Apeirotan would shout 'Chaonian Agema', it would add to the immersion, even if only by a little bit. Vanilla has something like this too, though I think it is tied to accent? I'll admit that I'm almost totally clueless about modding, so I can only wait for answers from the experts on here