Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

how about having african elephants as rare mercenaries in kush and etc? I actually sent one family member there as epeiros cause i thought that was a thing already heh.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

For some reason, playing as KH I can't upgrade Dardanion to a Large City, although its population is already over 12k. Is it intentional?

It is probably a pastoral settlement (check the existing buildings).

Pastoral settlements ara a transitional settlement type between camps and cities, which means you can have more infrastructure than in a camp, but less than in a city.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Is the hamilcar starting in spain with the barcid trait hamilcar barca or the one year old son of hanno?

Quote Originally Posted by k123cp View Post
    For some reason, playing as KH I can't upgrade Dardanion to a Large City, although its population is already over 12k. Is it intentional?
    It should work. Assuming you have an unmodified v2.3, please post a save game so I can take a look at it. A screen shot of the structures present in the settlement would help.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Is the hamilcar starting in spain with the barcid trait hamilcar barca or the one year old son of hanno?
    THE Hamilkar Barca is born later, and has the biography.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    It should work. Assuming you have an unmodified v2.3, please post a save game so I can take a look at it. A screen shot of the structures present in the settlement would help.
    Maybe he only has a Strategeia in place, or a basic pacification?

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

THE Hamilkar Barca is born later, and has the biography.
    Ah cool! Who is his dad? dont want him to get killed hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Ah cool! Who is his dad? dont want him to get killed hahaha
    I forget, but the engine only allows you to attach biographies to "already born" kids. So even if his dad dies, he'll still show up (since he's already here)
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    It is probably a pastoral settlement (check the existing buildings).

Pastoral settlements ara a transitional settlement type between camps and cities, which means you can have more infrastructure than in a camp, but less than in a city.
    It is indeed a pastoral settlement. So these settlements can only reach 'City' level?

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Maybe he only has a Strategeia in place, or a basic pacification?
    I installed an Oligarchic allied government when I first took it and later changed to a supervised native administration but both show no upgrade. By the way, is Military Conquest only available later in some settlements? I remember when I captured Dardanion I could only build a Tributary State.

So... I started a campaign as Rome for my first try with this mod, and I know I may be asking many elementary questions but... Sorry, I'm lost: FPS

1 - I see some buildings here and there which I can't find in the buildings list, such as Mons Capitolinus et Templvm Jovis Optimi Maximi in Rome, Avernvs Lacvs and Paestum Temples in Capua, and Lex de colonia creando in Capua and Arretium. Are all of them unique buildings?
    2 - What about the Apulia Province's Uniques: Garganus mons et Foresta Umbra? Just history? Or do they have any effect?
    3 - Is there any way to increase the W. Mediterranean Policies % or decrease the % of the other cultures? If so, how do I do it? Do other culture buildings, such as Stasis and Minor Hellenistic Polis in Tarentum, which I can destroy, have a negative effect for me? And what about buildings I CAN destroy, which have "a different origin" such as Pedion Agonion or Epineion Mikron? Should I destroy all of them and build my own version?
    4 - Is there any way to identify which troops are mercenaries and which ones not? Just looking at the upkeep? Or are there not "mercenaries" as I've known them until now?
    5 - What does Income (+) or Expense (+-): +-X mean? Will I get the money if I build that or not? And what about other things tagged as "+-"?
    6 - I think I've followed every step of the installation and configuration, but the game still takes about 1:30 minutes loading before showing the menu (while SS 6.4 takes less than 10 seconds), and it also takes a lot of time between turns, with the FPS dropping dramatically to "1", and it even freezes many times (only a few seconds, though). Is it normal? Just asking, maybe I did something wrong or there is still work to do.

And I think that's all. For now.

Here you go. I have unmodified 2.3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg   Capture2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoule View Post
    So... I started a campaign as Rome for my first try with this mod, and I know I may be asking many elementary questions but... Sorry, I'm lost: FPS

1 - I see some buildings here and there which I can't find in the buildings list, such as Mons Capitolinus et Templvm Jovis Optimi Maximi in Rome, Avernvs Lacvs and Paestum Temples in Capua, and Lex de colonia creando in Capua and Arretium. Are all of them unique buildings?
    2 - What about the Apulia Province's Uniques: Garganus mons et Foresta Umbra? Just history? Or do they have any effect?
    3 - Is there any way to increase the W. Mediterranean Policies % or decrease the % of the other cultures? If so, how do I do it? Do other culture buildings, such as Stasis and Minor Hellenistic Polis in Tarentum, which I can destroy, have a negative effect for me? And what about buildings I CAN destroy, which have "a different origin" such as Pedion Agonion or Epineion Mikron? Should I destroy all of them and build my own version?
    4 - Is there any way to identify which troops are mercenaries and which ones not? Just looking at the upkeep? Or are there not "mercenaries" as I've known them until now?
    5 - What does Income (+) or Expense (+-): +-X mean? Will I get the money if I build that or not? And what about other things tagged as "+-"?
    6 - I think I've followed every step of the installation and configuration, but the game still takes about 1:30 minutes loading before showing the menu (while SS 6.4 takes less than 10 seconds), and it also takes a lot of time between turns, with the FPS dropping dramatically to "1", and it even freezes many times (only a few seconds, though). Is it normal? Just asking, maybe I did something wrong or there is still work to do.

And I think that's all. For now.
    Be sure to read the Player's Guide v2.3 which is in the EB2 mod directory, it will answer at least some of your questions. You should not be seeing long delays between turns, v2.3 is much faster in that regard than previous versions, so yes, there's something not copacetic with your setup. The +- means MINUS. It's an M2TW thing we can't change, although that IS mentioned in the building descriptions. (Hint: Read them).

Edit: You need to resolve the build issues, or the rest of your questions won't matter. An obvious one is that a surprising number of people haven't upgraded either to Kingdoms or v1.05 of Kingdoms. If you have Windows 10, there's a number of steps you need to follow (see the guide for details), and once those are all done, you'll want to run in Win7 compatibility mode. There's lots of ways to hose up your game, and not following the install process exactly is a common problem.
    Last edited by Kull; November 26, 2017 at 10:36 PM.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by k123cp View Post
    Here you go. I have unmodified 2.3.
    Thanks, that was helpful. Unfortunately, it looks like the EDB code isn't working as we expected, so at least in this case it's back to the drawing board. FYI the "Strategy section" of the pastoral settlement building description tells you whether it caps at "City" or "Large City" (although obviously right now it appears they are all capped at city)
    EBII Council

So, just got the Pontos reform over Thanksgiving break: it's nice to finally build level three colonies and stuff.

A few questions/comments:

1: The "Colossus of Rhodes collapses" event nearly gave me a heart attack. I wasn't expecting there to be this sudden musical cue. Are there any other such events to watch out for, or is that a one-off?

2: Is there any reason to build a Strategiai after the reform? The Satrapy seems to do everything better. I know the Philos Ton Stretegon is disabled after the reform, but is there some hidden utility to the Strategiai?

3: There was an event where I went on the holy mountain and was hailed by various folks as king, and afterwards, I got a general with an Agema phalanx bodyguard. Where did these guys come from?

4: Is there a reason why a Closely-Allied Oligarchy/Democracy in Hayasdan proper can't recruit Azvet Aspatukan (sp?) or Dranik Gund? I mean, I imagine that the Armenian nobility still wants to demonstrate their martial virtue, and since it's de jure an independent state (just allied to me by unequal treaty), shouldn't these guys be available (in very small numbers) in service to the (puppet) Arkah?

5: For some reason, the building browser for Satrapies aren't showing the culture conversion in regions that are still under 50% EI. Is it still happening, just at a slower rate?

1. Not that I can immediately think of.
    2. It's cheap and quick - in fact I've just made it cheaper and faster to build. But otherwise, no, not if you can afford and have the time to wait for a Satrapeia.
    3. That's the scripted reward. Though they shouldn't be an FM really, I'll correct that.
    4. They're Hai factional elites, they're not available to anyone else.
    5. Conversion only shows up on the building card in winter, when it's being applied.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    2. It's cheap and quick - in fact I've just made it cheaper and faster to build. But otherwise, no, not if you can afford and have the time to wait for a Satrapeia.
    3. That's the scripted reward. Though they shouldn't be an FM really, I'll correct that.
    5. Conversion only shows up on the building card in winter, when it's being applied.
    Speaking of Hai and Pontic elites, I've noticed that the current recruitment range of Aswar-i Khweshwandan (the Persian elite cavalry) is odd if you play Hayastan. Couldn't get them in Ekbatana, for example. Or anywhere else, really (except in central Iran IIRC). Shouldn't they be available in most areas of the former Persian Empire with high enough tiers of government, especially if Pontos gets them anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Speaking of Hai and Pontic elites, I've noticed that the current recruitment range of Aswar-i Khweshwandan (the Persian elite cavalry) is odd if you play Hayastan. Couldn't get them in Ekbatana, for example. Or anywhere else, really (except in central Iran IIRC). Shouldn't they be available in most areas of the former Persian Empire with high enough tiers of government, especially if Pontos gets them anyway?
    I'm rewriting the recruitment for Hayastan governments (and changing their structure, adding two new governments), so that will all change in 2.3a. It was a bit random before.

Thanks, that was helpful. Unfortunately, it looks like the EDB code isn't working as we expected, so at least in this case it's back to the drawing board. FYI the "Strategy section" of the pastoral settlement building description tells you whether it caps at "City" or "Large City" (although obviously right now it appears they are all capped at city)
    Ah, I see. So Dardanion is supposed to be capped at "Large City" right? Though the "Strategy" section is a bit vague imo, since it only tells you that the settlement can support population equal to a city or large city, not that it can be upgraded to that level.

Thanks!
    Okay. Because as it is, the main benefit of Strategiai is the colonies, and if you have the money for colonies, you have the money for a Satrapy.

Ah, so it's to whet your whistle for the new Hellenistic elites while building the Basilike Patris. Got it.
    I get that, but in the case of an Allied State, shouldn't factional units generally be available (in quite limited quantities: I'm thinking like the Colchian Axemen, where you can, at best, recruit one unit every 25 turns)? As I understand it, the Allied State is just intervening in a state and supporting local clients who act in your interest: the actual social structure and internal organization aren't particularly disrupted. In other words, if you install an allied gov in Rome, all you're doing is making sure that "friendly" Consuls and Praetors are elected, leaving the constitution intact. Basically, I'm not dispossessing the Hai elites, I'm not imposing foreign garrisons on them, so why won't they fight for me- I mean, their king, who happens to be my ally? Is their armor just rusting over the fireplace?

*facepalm* That...makes a lot of sense, given the hardcoded limit of +-1% conversion rate. Thanks: I never would've gotten that, and thought my install was borked.