Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Rather random question: are the Indian swordsmen supposed to use their shield horizontally, like they do in the current build? I don't know much about ancient warfare (or warfare in general), but given the size and shape of their shields I'd expect them to be used vertically, as the percentage of body coverage would be much higher.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

In the upcoming Summer update, can we expect Roman Marian reforms? Or will it be mostly all about the greek reforms?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

In order to prevent possible future disappointment, we would like to once again stress that the summer release of Europa Barbarorum II will not contain Marian or post-Marian reforms. We fully intend to include such reforms in the future, but at present we feel that to introduce such reforms would create an unfair imbalance to other factions who are in greater need of development and attention. The Polybian era reforms, with complete unit roster will, however, be included in the next release.

Additionally due to this
    A: EB attempts to give all included factions an equal share and portray them as they historically were, without favouring one faction or culture.

Marian reforms are a low priority. To quote someone else "It would be like making a mod about the 18th century and having someone asking when the US marines will be done."
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

What causes civil unrest?
    Do rebel armies close to the borders of the province but belonging and standing in another province cause devastation?

And about authority and influence.. My Faction Leader has a huge amount of authority and I can increase it by successful campaigning but his influence is still very low. How do you increase influence?
    Where does confidence stand?
    Is it possible to have a highly influencial FM without making him go to war? (politics/menagement?)

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Quote Originally Posted by HarkonRules View Post
    In the upcoming Summer update, can we expect Roman Marian reforms? Or will it be mostly all about the greek reforms?
    We need first Marian units for Marian reforms. And we don't have them. I think in the summer release we (might) have a full polybian roster. Marian will come in a future release.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Do rebel armies close to the borders of the province but belonging and standing in another province cause devastation?
    I can say with certainty that this causes devastation yes

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Additionally due to this

Marian reforms are a low priority. To quote someone else "It would be like making a mod about the 18th century and having someone asking when the US marines will be done."

Well I dont't get exactly why do you say that ... Marian reform took place in 106 BC, which is about 100 years before the end of the mod. What you said could be appliable to the Imperial reform, but not the Marian one. And as I said in another topic, it is the Marian reform that changed the face of the antique world. It is the reform that created the first professional army ever ... So it is more than a crucial event of the period of this mod.
    And a lot of people who have been disapointed by R2TW would like to play as Rome. But Rome without the Marian reform is like a US Marine fighting with an M1 Garand rather than an M16 !

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia View Post
    We need first Marian units for Marian reforms. And we don't have them. I think in the summer release we (might) have a full polybian roster. Marian will come in a future release.
    True ! But looking at your signature, I can see you are not too much on that reform Do you just hate Romans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus le Chmakus View Post
    Well I dont't get exactly why do you say that ... Marian reform took place in 106 BC, which is about 100 years before the end of the mod. What you said could be appliable to the Imperial reform, but not the Marian one. And as I said in another topic, it is the Marian reform that changed the face of the antique world. It is the reform that created the first professional army ever ... So it is more than a crucial event of the period of this mod.
    And a lot of people who have been disapointed by R2TW would like to play as Rome. But Rome without the Marian reform is like a US Marine fighting with an M1 Garand rather than an M16 !
    Uh, Phillipos' original army was a professional force, they fought all year-round, which was one of the advantages it enjoyed over the various Greek city-states the Makedonians came to rule over. Mercenaries were professionals.

The Marian reform was not the first time someone professionalised an army, nor was it that significant for anyone besides the Romans. It contributed a great deal to destabilising the Republic, and I'm not sure there's much evidence they were better soldiers than their Polybian forebears.

No one is talking about removing the Marian Reform, that's not happening. However, it's a much lower priority than ensuring other factions actually start the game with the units they should have. EBII is not about Rome alone, and it's not our aim to satisfy people who were disappointed with R2TW.

I'd like to point out I basically just created a separate thread to discuss this over here. If a moderator could move the last few posts in this thread and the one about reform requirements over to my new one, we can avoid cluttering up these ones and prevent them from going off-topic any further. I welcome you to continue this discussion.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Yep sorry mate, I had not seen it before posting !

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Quote Originally Posted by Titus le Chmakus View Post
    True ! But looking at your signature, I can see you are not too much on that reform Do you just hate Romans ?
    Hehe indeed i am big Hellenistic fan. I just hate early romans. On the other hand i love late romans barbarian invasion era.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Uh, Phillipos' original army was a professional force, they fought all year-round, which was one of the advantages it enjoyed over the various Greek city-states the Makedonians came to rule over. Mercenaries were professionals.

The Marian reform was not the first time someone professionalised an army, nor was it that significant for anyone besides the Romans. It contributed a great deal to destabilising the Republic, and I'm not sure there's much evidence they were better soldiers than their Polybian forebears.

No one is talking about removing the Marian Reform, that's not happening. However, it's a much lower priority than ensuring other factions actually start the game with the units they should have. EBII is not about Rome alone, and it's not our aim to satisfy people who were disappointed with R2TW.
    Yes. Not to jump on the bandwagon... But even before that the Assyrians had the claim to the first professional force (some 700ish years before the romans became professional)
    Last edited by z3n; June 18, 2015 at 08:55 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Can I play this mod with a Medieval 2 Kingdoms steam version? And if so, are the installation instructions the same?
    AlexCouceiro is Caligula, son of Germanicus, Roman

Nevermind, delete this post. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; June 19, 2015 at 03:33 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCouceiro View Post
    Can I play this mod with a Medieval 2 Kingdoms steam version? And if so, are the installation instructions the same?

Yes, you can. The installation instructions are the same, just make sure to run the version of the launcher that says 'for steam users'.

feetman's Avatar Foederatus

at the moment the hellenistic rosters look a quite similar same pike, cavalry and elite units etc. Are there plans to slightly modify for example the phalangites for each kingdom? They would have had different insignia and iconography on their shields and local variations in materials available would account for some differences in armor and general unit look no?

Senator

They would have had different insignia and iconography on their shields and local variations in materials available would account for some differences in armor and general unit look no?
    They already do have different shield desgins,and I think a slighly different mix of helmets.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    They already do have different shield desgins,and I think a slighly different mix of helmets.
    Yes they do, so I'm quite surprised to hear that. If anything we tried to make all factions as unique with little reuse.

This is probably going to sound rather impatient, but does the EB team already have a internally agreed-upon work-stop date for the summer release?

My thanks in advance.