Thread: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum II FAQ

There's a popup on your opening turn as Rome explaining the cursus honorum and the Imperium mechanic.

Got it, thanks for the help

I would like to know something,

What's the difference between Hypaspistai and Thorakitai Epilektoi?.

They have the same stats, so i would like to know what are the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    I would like to know something,

What's the difference between Hypaspistai and Thorakitai Epilektoi?.

They have the same stats, so i would like to know what are the differences.
    Hypaspistai come from the highest levels of the aristocracy, scions of noble houses and so on. Thorakitai Epilektoi are more ordinary in origins, more like "middle class" men (not that such a thing existed as we know it today).

Why were the Sakas living close to Baktria called "haumavarga" (hauma-drinking) by the Persians? Is it simply a misnomer or is there some evidence of this practice amongst them?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    Why were the Sakas living close to Baktria called "haumavarga" (hauma-drinking) by the Persians? Is it simply a misnomer or is there some evidence of this practice amongst them?
    And is this name mentioned anywhere but Herodotus?

does anyone know if it is possible not to install Steam version of Kingdoms or only have one campaign installed instead of all 4? my aim is to have the installation ready for EB but I have no interest in getting the expansion at all and it consumes way too much space on a tightish SSD. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    does anyone know if it is possible not to install Steam version of Kingdoms or only have one campaign installed instead of all 4? my aim is to have the installation ready for EB but I have no interest in getting the expansion at all and it consumes way too much space on a tightish SSD. thanks
    I'm pretty sure people have managed with only one of the campaigns - but you do need at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    I used a CD version and only installed the Crusades campaign and I can confirm it works perfectly fine this way.

i used to install only one but recently moved to Steam CD-less version and cant remember seeing the option to choose which campaign to get. it seemed to have auto-installed all 4 without a possibility to choose. will try again and see what it offers. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    And is this name mentioned anywhere but Herodotus?
    It's also mentioned in Achaemenid sources like the Daiva Inscription by Xerxes and others I'm pretty sure, I assume it had something to do with consuming the ritual haoma from Zoroastrian tradition which is currently thought to be a crushed plant (I heard some arguments that it's ephedra which is found in the areas the Sakas and persians populated)

Guys, such question, who can knows. Is it possible to change the number of units in the army? In Rome 2, this is done through EditSF, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by gannibalbarka216 View Post
    Guys, such question, who can knows. Is it possible to change the number of units in the army? In Rome 2, this is done through EditSF, for example.
    If you mean change the number of soldiers in a unit, there's the Unit Scale option in the graphics settings. Otherwise you need to edit each unit in the export_descr_unit.txt.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    If you mean change the number of soldiers in a unit, there's the Unit Scale option in the graphics settings. Otherwise you need to edit each unit in the export_descr_unit.txt.
    You misunderstood me, I meant the number of units in stek.

Quote Originally Posted by gannibalbarka216 View Post
    You misunderstood me, I meant the number of units in stek.
    No, it's hardcoded.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    No, it's hardcoded.
    What he said.

So, I actually managed to lose my Pontos short campaign (I forgot that Epeiros only had to kill off Makedonia and KH, and they sneakily grabbed the requisite number of provinces while I was prepping to take out Hayasdan), and went north to the land of manly, shirtless men, the Sweboz. A few questions:

1: The Slagonez (club dudes) seem like the only regular (e.g. non-bodyguard) unit that doesn't have javelins. Is there a reason for that? I remember that their EBI equivalents had javelins, and their lack of throwing weapons really sticks out. Is it because they're so poor they can't afford a secondary weapon?

2: Is there a particular reason why the Nomadic Enclaves provide significantly more cavalry than infantry archers? Since they're being settled in non-steppe provinces, you'd think that the proportions would be reversed: more emphasis on foot troops and a small pool of cavalry to represent the elites.

3: Can I get a rough estimate on how many tribal buildings I can produce out of each tribe (e.g. the base number is 3, individual tribes range from 5 to 2)? Also, once I've run out of tribes to settle, does that mean I'm stuck w/ Allied governments for recruitment?

4: Better ships how? Pritanoi are dominating the North Sea w/ stacks of 8-ish Pontomora, and my war canoes aren't going to cut it when it comes time to fight them.

5: Is it WAD that you can turn Leufana into a city REALLY early? Like, turn-50 level of early? I had Leufana, Luppae and that-Denmark-settlement-that-starts-with-H turned into cities by turn 100.

6: I know that as a mainland Celtic faction, Allied City generally allows you to recruit regional AoR troops with a factional government. Is there any equivalent for the Sweboz?

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    So, I actually managed to lose my Pontos short campaign (I forgot that Epeiros only had to kill off Makedonia and KH, and they sneakily grabbed the requisite number of provinces while I was prepping to take out Hayasdan), and went north to the land of manly, shirtless men, the Sweboz. A few questions:

1: The Slagonez (club dudes) seem like the only regular (e.g. non-bodyguard) unit that doesn't have javelins. Is there a reason for that? I remember that their EBI equivalents had javelins, and their lack of throwing weapons really sticks out. Is it because they're so poor they can't afford a secondary weapon?
    There's a lengthy thread discussing the unit, but I can't get it to work right now. We've just had a server upgrade on the internal forum and some of the older threads are really slow. Either way, it's by design.

2: Is there a particular reason why the Nomadic Enclaves provide significantly more cavalry than infantry archers? Since they're being settled in non-steppe provinces, you'd think that the proportions would be reversed: more emphasis on foot troops and a small pool of cavalry to represent the elites.
    Because the migrants are on horseback. You can't travel the distances involved in a sensible timeframe on foot. The presence of infantry at all is slightly controversial, but it wouldn't make sense for men who've lost their ponies not to be represented.

The distribution of enclaves, and the volume of units they give has been revised in 2.3a (only 3+1 for all).

3: Can I get a rough estimate on how many tribal buildings I can produce out of each tribe (e.g. the base number is 3, individual tribes range from 5 to 2)? Also, once I've run out of tribes to settle, does that mean I'm stuck w/ Allied governments for recruitment?
    Not sure, I'll leave that to someone who understands the faction better. They're just about the only faction I've never touched.

4: Better ships how? Pritanoi are dominating the North Sea w/ stacks of 8-ish Pontomora, and my war canoes aren't going to cut it when it comes time to fight them.
    Acquire better ship-building provinces. Celtic ports will give you Pontomora of your own.

5: Is it WAD that you can turn Leufana into a city REALLY early? Like, turn-50 level of early? I had Leufana, Luppae and that-Denmark-settlement-that-starts-with-H turned into cities by turn 100.
    There isn't any constraint on it besides how quickly you can get the culture levels down.

6: I know that as a mainland Celtic faction, Allied City generally allows you to recruit regional AoR troops with a factional government. Is there any equivalent for the Sweboz?
    There isn't.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

So yeah I think my Koinon Hellenons scripts are not behaving right:

-I passed none of the requirements for the reforms and they just rolled out, quite some years between them (currently turn 82) but still. Now I even can build the Symptoliteia buidlings, without even having 4 archons, none of them in Korinth.

-The Hellenistic Thureos Reform happened in turn 62 or something so I think thats right.

-I send a young FM (a Spartan) to Sparta to begin the Agoge. He went into the town when he was 16, never moved him, now at 18 it still hasnt started. Help ?

-I also think none of the playtime reminders fire up.

-I do get the usual events about Pyrrhus (got this only once), stamped Wares (got this only once), help through the Ptolemies (once), was able to build the Congress after conquering Pella, though not fulfilling any of the other requierements (having three Metropolis, the farm buildings). I do get the Cretan Mercenaries for cash but depleted manpower at times, more than once.

-I get no adoptions, though my daughters do get candidates. I refused some, is that the problem here for not firing up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    So yeah I think my Koinon Hellenons scripts are not behaving right:

-I passed none of the requirements for the reforms and they just rolled out, quite some years between them (currently turn 82) but still. Now I even can build the Symptoliteia buidlings, without even having 4 archons, none of them in Korinth.
    There's a fallback timer for all of them if you miss them.

Note you don't have to get the Archons to Korinthos any more, just have four of them.

-The Hellenistic Thureos Reform happened in turn 62 or something so I think thats right.
    That's right, it won't actually fire on turn 60, but a turn or two afterwards.

-I send a young FM (a Spartan) to Sparta to begin the Agoge. He went into the town when he was 16, never moved him, now at 18 it still hasnt started. Help ?
    The trait is broken in 2.3, it's a known issue.

-I also think none of the playtime reminders fire up.
    Not sure what's going on there.

-I do get the usual events about Pyrrhus (got this only once), stamped Wares (got this only once), help through the Ptolemies (once), was able to build the Congress after conquering Pella, though not fulfilling any of the other requierements (having three Metropolis, the farm buildings). I do get the Cretan Mercenaries for cash but depleted manpower at times, more than once.
    Those sound like they're working.

-I get no adoptions, though my daughters do get candidates. I refused some, is that the problem here for not firing up ?
    You start off with 10 FMs for a small number of provinces, you won't get any adoptions early on. Your only source of new FMs besides Coming of Age will be suitors.